talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

TV's

football forum

• Subscriber

I want a new one for the living room.(That's another question... what do you all call it? Lounge/Living room/front room? xD ) Any recommendations? Has to be at least 40 inch.

I've had a 32 inch Samsung Smart TV(£400 brand new) for the last 5 years which was been very reliable, it's just too small!

Any deals on?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

i call it all 3 any given day xD 

I've got an LG Smart 4k TV, 46 inch.

Perfect size for me and have had it for about 2 and a half years. Got it from Costco for about £700 I think. 

On 11/17/2017 at 7:10 AM, JOSHBRFC said:

I want a new one for the living room.(That's another question... what do you all call it? Lounge/Living room/front room? xD ) Any recommendations? Has to be at least 40 inch.

I've had a 32 inch Samsung Smart TV(£400 brand new) for the last 5 years which was been very reliable, it's just too small!

Any deals on?

I wonder if it would be worth it for you to buy from the US and have it shipped to the UK. Reason I say that is cos I forgot just how much cheaper TVs and electronics are in the States compared to the UK, based on the prices quoted in this topic.

I mainly use a 60-inch plasma TV hooked up via HDMI to the laptop, with a wireless keyboard/touchpad for mouse combo (Logitech K400 Plus, AMAZING battery life). Don't like smart TVs cos don't need all those apps and using the wireless keyboard is SO MUCH easier. Don't like LED TVs either cos the quality of plasmas is  way superior. Got the 60-inch for $120 on Craigslist. That's roughly 90 quid.

Have 2 other 42 inch plasma TVs the missus practically gave me. I use one of them side-by-side right next to the 60-inch. That way I watch footie on the 60 while surfing the web on the 42 (each has its own HDMI cable attached, obviously).

I personally think HMDI is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So simple to use and yet so effective. Don't know much about electronics and wouldn't have known about this setup if it weren't for a mate of mine who used to work for Compusa lol.

He offered to set up Kodi (XBMC) for me but I'm perfectly happy the way things are. Dunno if Kodi/XBMC is worth it. Again, I'm not tech savvy so dunno anything about it.

• 4 years later...
  • Subscriber
On 19/11/2017 at 13:47, JoshBRFC said:

I bought the TV i posted above. Looked like quite a good deal. Lets hope the TV doesn't blow up after a day.

Just over 4 years later and it's started to just have a black screen when i turn it on. I can hear the sound just no picture. When i fiddle about and unplug and plug back in etc it comes on.

So I'm now on the hunt for another TV 9_9. Minimum 40 inch and ideally 4k to go with the PS5 ;)

3 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Just over 4 years later and it's started to just have a black screen when i turn it on. I can hear the sound just no picture. When i fiddle about and unplug and plug back in etc it comes on.

So I'm now on the hunt for another TV 9_9. Minimum 40 inch and ideally 4k to go with the PS5 ;)

What is your budget?? and are you a big name buyer or any tv that offers value for money?? 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

What is your budget?? and are you a big name buyer or any tv that offers value for money?? 

Doesn't matter whether it's a TV or a coat, name means nothing to me! As long as it does the job. It's crazy how you can overpay just for a logo. Ideally no more than £4/500.

1 minute ago, JoshBRFC said:

Doesn't matter whether it's a TV or a coat, name means nothing to me! As long as it does the job. It's crazy how you can overpay just for a logo. Ideally no more than £4/500.

We got a 49inch LG a couple of years back, they are better quality than the name might suggest.. still works fine and the picture is quality, 4K as well... My daughter sometimes plays games on it with the X Box, set me back about £450 at the time on sale, you would probably not have to pay much more than £300-350 for a 40 inch I would have thought if you shop around.. I am no tv expert by any stretch but the ones we have had in the LG range have served us well... 

14 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Hisense will have some decent units in that price category.

https://www.currys.co.uk/GBUK/product-10223242-pdt.html

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

We got a 49inch LG a couple of years back, they are better quality than the name might suggest.. still works fine and the picture is quality, 4K as well... My daughter sometimes plays games on it with the X Box, set me back about £450 at the time on sale, you would probably not have to pay much more than £300-350 for a 40 inch I would have thought if you shop around.. I am no tv expert by any stretch but the ones we have had in the LG range have served us well... 

I’ve just seen some decent LG’s. I’m not going Panasonic anyway as that’s what this current TV I have is. 

32 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Hisense will have some decent units in that price category.

https://www.currys.co.uk/GBUK/product-10223242-pdt.html

That actually looks pretty decent.

• Subscriber
On 17/11/2017 at 17:10, JoshBRFC said:

Any deals on?

At my grandma's house, we did her living room up. New plastering, papering etc the works. Anyway, we brought a new TV, nearly 50 inch which is bolted to the wall. Because of the angle/view from the sofa which isn't face on towards the TV. It can be a pain to see, especially with sunlight. I don't know your viewing situation with9in your room. But we regret not spending a a couple hundred more on a curved TV which allows you to see properly from all angles.

• 1 month later...
On 23/01/2022 at 18:12, JoshBRFC said:

My mate gave me an LGTV(I think it's  43"?) about 5 years ago or more, it still works perfectly fine, I've never had any problems and that was a hand me down! 

Saying that, I don't think he'd had it too long as he's the type who always has to have the newest TV that comes out, the newest phone, etc.  But still, it's lasted and it'll be around 6 year old.

I have been thinking of buying a new one, but there is honestly nothing wrong with this still so it's not a priority. 

I'd get one that is curved though if I bought a new one and I'd stick to LG as they rarely seem to let people down.

• Subscriber

I echo the comments about LG TVs, have had one since 2018 and it works fine with zero issues. They also come in ultra-slim form-factor which was the major reason I even event and got one. I'd imagine you can get a deal on an older one (which are just as good imo) and it would be much cheaper than you expect.

Archived