The better place to talk football.

Inter Miami

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Former England captain David Beckham is set to launch his long-planned Major League Soccer team in Miami early next week, according to reports.

It would come after four years of wrangling over the site for a stadium in southern Florida, with residents having opposed multiple locations.

No official announcement has been made.

But the MLS has told BBC Sport it "continues to make progress toward finalising an expansion club for Miami - we hope to have more details soon".

The Miami Herald, citing sources familiar with the plan, reported on Wednesday that the "tentative plan is for a Monday announcement" but "scheduling issues could bump that to Tuesday".

The Associated Press also reported that an announcement was planned for Monday.

In November, the MLS said it would approve the Beckham-backed franchise "in the coming months".

Meanwhile, Miami-Dade County mayor Carlos Gimenez's office told BBC Sport that the mayor "has been asked to hold time on his calendar for an event" but could not "confirm what the team may be announcing".

Beckham began his bid to launch a team in Miami in early 2014.

new team announcement possibly next week.

I'm still surprised Miami is getting another shot at having an MLS franchise. They have already failed once, they have a baseball team with a the worst attendance in the sport, NFL team that doesn't sell out, a big time College football team that also has shockingly low attendance, and a basketball team that is pack only when they are worth a damn.

I guess money talks though.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

I know what you mean but is that not why it's so lucrative? Instead of having to fight with other sports if Beckham gets it right he could have a state all to himself. 

Well - the buy in for an MLS club is $200 million dollars, so he's already starting way in the red.

When Miami has it's first MLS team, the Miami Fusion, they played in a stadium that sat 20k. There average attendances for the 4 years of their existence was:
1998 - 10,284
1999 - 8,689
2000- 7,460
2001 - 11,177

Now, I know the MLS has grown a lot since those days, so since the stadium is projected to hold 25k people, selling out every game would leave you as the 7th best attendance in the MLS, this assuming LAFC doesn't do more since they are also a new franchise.

The difference in this being Miami is massive though, as real estate is massively expensive, and on par with LA and inside New York City, so your expenses are going to be higher than most teams. Also, you likely aren't going to be the most popular team in Florida, as Orlando City draws over 25k a game, and their market includes not just Orlando, but Tampa and all of Northern Florida which is significantly closer.

So the largest cities in Florida by Population are as follows, and in parenthesis is their closet MLS team
1. Miami with about 6 million (Miami FC)
2.  Tampa with about 3.5 million (Orlando City)
3. Orlando with about 3 million (Orlando City)
4. Jacksonville with about 1.5 million (Orlando City)
5. Bradenton/Sarasota with close to 1 million (In between)

So while the people are there, they haven't shown to attendance sporting events outside of NFL and NBA.

In terms of the percentages they are able to fill in their stadium.

Miami Dolphins (NFL) -Tied 1st, sold out every game
Miami Heat (NBA) - Tied for 1st, sell out every game
Miami Marlins (MLB) - 27th out of 30.
Florida Panthers (NHL in Miami) - 28th out of 31

So maybe this will work out, maybe not. I have been to Miami a few times, and I love it there, but it's expensive, extremely hot, and has a very different culture and I hope supports the new team, but it's definitely a risk.

On 25/1/2018 at 08:04, Daedalus said:

I'm still surprised Miami is getting another shot at having an MLS franchise. They have already failed once, they have a baseball team with a the worst attendance in the sport, NFL team that doesn't sell out, a big time College football team that also has shockingly low attendance, and a basketball team that is pack only when they are worth a damn.

I guess money talks though.

I don't think its all bad though. Yes, Miami is a very fickle city but there are a lot of latinos in the city at least compared to others. Mexicans and Colombians especially. Maybe you can get attendances if you get a higher profile Mexican/Colombian?

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Flamingos!

Damn - hahaha 

When I hit 'Submit' I knew that wasn't right, but didn't bother to change it. 

Yes, Flamingos...the mightiest of all creates in the State of Florida. 

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Guessing this is aimed at the Spanish speaking side of Miami...

I think he is going for the 'Inter Milan' concept. A club for everyone, and anyone. You can be more precise as well, no need for 'Spanish Speaking' because Cubano will work!

• Subscriber

I think there's an echo in here haha.

I remember watching him on a show that talked about his charity work with UNICEF and he was talking about starting something in Miami can't remember the timeline really but good on him. 

• The title was changed to Further Details Revealed for David Beckham's MLS Franchise...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Administrator

Site where they plan to build everything has 'arsenic contamination'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49415758

The proposed stadium site for David Beckham's Inter Miami franchise in the MLS has arsenic contamination levels more than twice the legal limit, says an environmental report.

Melreese golf course has been closed until further notice by Miami's city council after the findings.

Plans are in place to build a stadium, shopping mall, hotel and public park on the site as part of a $1bn development.

"This obviously causes great concerns," Miami Mayor Francis Suarez said.

"Basically, the site has significantly more contamination than is commercially reasonable," Suarez added in an interview with the Miami Herald.

Long-term exposure to the chemical arsenic can lead to a variety of chronic health conditions, including skin disorders, cancers of the lung and bladder and cardiovascular issues.

Environmental firm EE&G, commissioned by Inter Miami, found barium and lead levels also exceeded legal limits. The site used to be a waste site for incinerator ash.

A deal to build a stadium for Inter Miami on the proposed Miami Freedom Park has not yet been finalised.

An Inter Miami spokesperson said: "Miami Freedom Park has continued to move forward with the various studies needed for the redevelopment of the site.

"Our legal team and engineers have been meeting with city commissioners and staff about the environmental report our consultants conducted on the city's land.

"We will be working with the city to implement a remediation plan that is thorough, and provides residents and visitors a destination that is safe for all to enjoy."

Inter Miami are set to join the MLS in 2020 as a new franchise and will initially play in an 18,000-seat arena in Fort Lauderdale.

Archived