talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday 5 (Group E) - Tuesday 21st November, 2017

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone always talks about needing a defensive midfielder when actually Henderson's biggest problem isn't when the opposition have the ball, it's when he has the ball and consistently makes the wrong choice and puts the team under pressure. 

2 minutes ago, FOYM said:

I don't like Henderson as a player, nevermind our captain. He is a midtable player AT BEST and should be anywhere near a club that aspires to win things. Does the simple stuff but fuck all else. 

He can look good when things are going well, if you're on your game as a unit he'll look decent enough, carried perhaps by the system and those around him.

Unfortunately, he's likely to be starting for England at the World Cup where it's also likely he'll be found out as well, in England we produce too many footballers like him.

• Administrator

Not sure how true it is but apparently at half time today Sevilla's players were told that their coach Eduardo Berizza has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and this inspired their comeback to draw with Liverpool. 

If it is true that is sad and inspiring in equal measure. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, FOYM said:

I don't like Henderson as a player, nevermind our captain. He is a midtable player AT BEST and should be anywhere near a club that aspires to win things. Does the simple stuff but fuck all else. 

I read earlier he completed 55% of his passes tonight. I think your statement there is generous. You've got potential in that side but my god you need to fuck a few of them off.

I felt Liverpool would put this to bed after going 0-3 at half time. To be fair missed the entire second half and watched the highlights later on, some terrible defending for the first goal and the Moreno tackle was pub side level. Liverpool can't score more than they can concede that has been a problem for a while now. That attack looks very good with Salah, Mane and Firmino the pace is unreal, if they actually had decent defenders things would look much much better.

49 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Sevilla has guilt edged chances in the first half too, the signs were there. Liverpool just don’t have a very good team, and Klopp is incapable of changing it tactically. Either they need a whole new defence/midfield or a new manager.

Liverpool also had some good chances at 3-2 to kill the match. Particularly the one where Banega somehow got back to stop Can's cutback to Mane. 

But yeah, the insecurity at full-back, and the lack of intelligence and composure in midfield makes things so much more difficult than they need to be. Keita is basically a luxury version of Wijnaldum, but they still have nobody who can play well as the deepest midfielder. If Liverpool had even a reasonably good organising midfielder like Nuri Sahin, that wouldnt have happened last night. Henderson's lack of composure and judgement in such a key position means the whole team wilts and panics when things get difficult. 

Klopp himself said the team stopped playing football - it's the job of your deepest midfielder to get the team playing. 

Liverpool are investigating claims fans were subjected to violent policing and denied entry to Tuesday's Champions League draw away to Sevilla.

Fans shared stories of policing on social media, with a female supporter claiming she was punched.

Liverpool said accounts from supporters were "detailed and troubling".

In a statement, Uefa said: "We are aware that there were some issues at the away supporters entrances in regards to fans accessing the stadium."

European football's governing body added it had no further comment to make at this stage.

Liverpool said they are "seeking to establish the facts" about fans' treatment "at the hands of the host stewards and local police force" at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.

The club added: "The safety and security of our supporters is our paramount concern and we intend to gather all the relevant information before responding further."

Last season, Leicester City fans clashed with police in Seville and claimed rubber bullets were fired at them.

'I've never been treated so disgracefully'

The Spirit of Shankly Supporters' Union said it had received complaints from fans and that some of its own committee members experienced problems during the 3-3 draw.

One committee member, Phil Rowan, told the Liverpool Echo his flag was confiscated before entering the ground because it was too "political", despite Liverpool approving it.

He claims the flag was thrown at fellow supporter Anna Burgess, and that she was punched by police.

"I have never been treated so disgracefully at a match in my life," said Rowan.

Former lead singer of band The Farm and Spirit of Shankly committee member Peter Hooton tweeted: "Apart from numerous stories of LFC fans being subjected to police brutality in Seville the most bizarre incident was Brian Reade having a book on 'football rivalries' confiscated at the turnstiles."

Liverpool supporter Craig Hannan tweeted: "Missed first goal despite arriving at stadium 30 minutes before, mate doesn't get in, people beat up by police, police in riot gear not letting you go to your seat pushing you anywhere. Took my bag from me, now won't let us out for me to get it."

Liverpool gave away a three-goal lead in the penultimate Group E fixture but know a draw with Spartak Moscow on 6 December will send them through.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42082570

I personally thought Henderson was good in the first half, apart from presenting them the chance which Karius saved. 

After we conceded the goals,  their stadium and players were lifted,  and in contrast ours looked scared. Gini offered no help and looked shell shocked,  and when you are a limited player(which Henderson is)  it becomes even more difficult to counter or impose yourself without support.  Not going to argue on his captaincy skills.  Apart from Miller there are no leaders in the squad.

Moreno really has been good this season,  but once again showed how brainless he can be. It was bit like Lovren and Mignolet.  Put in a set of good performances to get an extended run in the team and eventually catastrophically fuck up. Lovren has put in two good performances now,  which means he will get the run of games again,  until he reverts to his old self. 

Klopp's in game management again shows up to be terrible.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived