talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday 5 (Group B) - Wednesday 22nd November, 2017

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that's a shame I love Thiago.

I know I said I don't care about the 7-1 but actually on second thoughts I do care about it showing even more that new personell is needed in defense.

There's no serious alternative to Lustig, Boyata and Simunovic are a shaky pairing and one of them (probs Boyata) could be easily upgraded on, and Craig Gordon isn't good enough. His reactions are getting more and more flaky, and his touch and kicking don't suit the teams style.  It creates loads of avoidable pressure. Either sign a new goalie or play De Vries.

Getting to the Europa knockouts and one or two January arrivals would be perfect. 

• Administrator

It does show you just how much Scottish football is being left behind, which isn’t a good thing. Despite having a progressive manager like Rodgers, Celtic were completely out of their depth. I was never pro Celtic and Rangers joining the Premier League or a creation of an Atlantic League, but moving to a more competitive league is really a must for Celtic if they have serious aspirations of dominating more than what is a very weak top division of Scottish football. 

19 minutes ago, Batard said:

It does show you just how much Scottish football is being left behind, which isn’t a good thing. Despite having a progressive manager like Rodgers, Celtic were completely out of their depth. I was never pro Celtic and Rangers joining the Premier League or a creation of an Atlantic League, but moving to a more competitive league is really a must for Celtic if they have serious aspirations of dominating more than what is a very weak top division of Scottish football. 

What else is there to dominate though? Are we going to dominate Europe? No, so what's the point of even complaining? Our access to TV revenue is miniscule compared to what the superclubs can access. 

When we get put in a group with PSG and Bayern, those are 4 matches written-off. That's just modern football. Getting anything against either of those teams with our budget is a miracle, home or away. It's not our fault that football is so monstrously unbalanced now. 

Add to the fact that Rodgers is ideologically opposed to damage limitation and it means that these score lines are possible. 

I couldn't give a shit if we lose 7-1 in a match that is basically unwinnable for all but a few teams in Europe - at a place where Bayern and Barca have been crushed in the last year - if it means we get results like the 3-0 away in Anderlecht and thus get to enjoy European knockout football. 

Monaco and Benfica aren't even in the Europa league. BVB and Atlético are settling for Europa. 

We're in good company so long as we don't lose at home to Anderlecht.

To be fair Celtic are going through to the Europa League anyway, that's probably the most they could have expected from that group on paper. It'll be interesting to see how they fair in that.

PSG are on a different level to most teams and are one of the big favourites to win this this year, 7-1 is a trouncing but it isn't entirely surprising.

Not to mention that the lineup was pretty weak due to injuries and also resting players for the league cup final at the weekend.

Bitton had to go on for Lustig early in the match so he was in a new position. We also weren't playing Armstrong, Roberts or Sinclair. However even at full-strength, Boyata and Gordon aren't good enough.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

One off though isn't it? Usually we always compete in Europe but of course it would suit your agenda as a Kopite to ignore all of that and obsess about us as per usual.

I can only remember you doing ok in Europe once to be honest. Went out to Fiorentina on pens? This year and 2005 stick out like a sore thumbxD

The French media are having a fair go at Celtic for a group stage 7-1 considering that their beloved slavery-funded monstrosity masterminded the biggest CL bed-wetting Europe has ever seen last season. 

They can fuck off and worry about their champions being bottom of their group and Nice not even getting through the playoffs.

If a sub-par, one-team league in a country of 5 million people is embarrassing, I wouldn't want to know what a sub-par, one-team league in a country of 65 million is. 

55 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Much better than anything Celtic have ever done. 

Not sure why you're rattled about this though, unsure how a conversation about Celtic turns into yet another Everton basing experiment?

Celtic reached the final a few years before your tie with Fiorentina did they not?

Because you're always happy to rip into other clubs before thinking of the state of your own

I don't get how Everton have managed to grace a Champions League thread for this long. 

Celtic have won a European Cup, reached another final, and reached a UEFA Cup final. Don't see the comparison with a club that's won a Cup Winner's Cup and pumped Wolfsburg or Schalke once.

We've had the odd humbling with Rodgers but overall we've done pretty well against clubs on our level and now we have knockout football to look forward to barring a poor result at home with Anderlecht.

I'd rather get embarrassed occasionally and enjoy extended runs in Europe thanks to performing well against closer competitors, than be ultra cautious and offensively ineffectual, and crash out early.

The team is there to satisfy Celtic fans, not Twitter keyboard warriors and banter pages down south. 

27 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Jesus, that's really got to the poor lad. 

Nah if I was really rattled I'd start posting in Everton's Europa league matchday threads, which I don't think I've ever got round to doing. 

Edit: posted once about Everton on matchday 1. 

Pre-emptive rattledness confirmed.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived