talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alan Pardew hired as West Brom Manager

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine turning up to watch a Tony Pulis team? Imagine going away from home to watch your team managed by Tony Pulis? 

Fuck life.

West Brom have been waiting to be down the botton for this moment for ages because they were afraid of reputational damage. The damage that comes from the sort of people who haven't watched a single West Brom game but then look at the league table and say that's ok for West Brom, how dare they sack Pulis. By sacking him now they're hoping there are less people who fall for that and it won't put future managers off.

If a clubs supporters, who watch every game, want a manager gone, I don't see how anyone can dispute that just by opening up the West Brom page on the BBC website.

18 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Imagine turning up to watch a Tony Pulis team? Imagine going away from home to watch your team managed by Tony Pulis? 

Fuck life.

West Brom have been waiting to be down the botton for this moment for ages because they were afraid of reputational damage. The damage that comes from the sort of people who haven't watched a single West Brom game but then look at the league table and say that's ok for West Brom, how dare they sack Pulis. By sacking him now they're hoping there are less people who fall for that and it won't put future managers off.

If a clubs supporters, who watch every game, want a manager gone, I don't see how anyone can dispute that just by opening up the West Brom page on the BBC website.

Have you not watched Arsenal TV? Football fans are dickheads. 

19 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Fuck life.

Glad someone said it before me.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

I'm not really sure what more the owners of West Brom expect, to be honest.

Three of their twelve games have been against Chelsea, City and Arsenal, games they're not expected to win anyway and they've only lost once at home this season, on Saturday to the current champions. 

I don't think it's just about the start to this season. Their form since the end of February is horrific

He had to go. No question. I pay to watch my team in a lower division win and lose games but at least we have passion and excitement. How can you have any passion following West Brom? Is it any wonder they have empty seats at home games? Why pay to watch 90 minutes of boredom?

West Brom fans must be sick to death of seeing their team have 30% of the ball and line up for a game with the objective not  to lose, rather than play to win. It's uninspiring and turgid. They have never accumulated 50pts or more in the PL. But whilst they grinded out results, he got away with it.

The obvious argument for some will be that he took the club to 10th last season. But last season was appalling when you consider that from Southampton in 8th to Watford in 17th, only six points separated 10 teams. It could easily have been them finishing much lower. The league was dross and West Brom's finish papered over the cracks.

This year, that's not happening. Bar two wins at the start, they are no longer grinding our results. They are still struggling to create and score goals. And even worse for them, their biggest strength in keeping clean sheets has gone. They are conceding goals and in doing so, losing to teams they would expect to beat in Brighton and Huddersfield and failing to beat teams that they matched last season like West Ham, Watford, Leicester, Stoke and Southampton.

Two wins in their last 21 games. You tell me how many managers aren't going to be in trouble with a record like that. He's had his chance.

Tony Pulis is very good at what he does. Stops goals leaking at struggling teams and stabilises them. But West Brom have been stabilised for three seasons now and show no sign of going forward. Just because he has a clean record of never being relegated, that shouldn't mean you are exempt.

• Subscriber

2 wins in 21 games is absolutely shocking. I said it in the sack race thread but West Brom should've been past focusing on survival years ago. They've been in the league now since 2010 and their aim is still solely to survive in the league, while watching clubs like Watford and Burnley surpass them?

What they've become is the sole reason I'd never go with Pulis. I do think he'd have kept them up (despite this run) but it creates a mindset where doing just that is considered to be some kind of achievement - it isn't, there are some shocking sides in this league, when you see sides like West Ham, Stoke, even us (who turned up for a third of two of the last three seasons) survive comfortably every year you really can't look at it like it's some sort of achievement. It reeks of having no ambition at all other than to make up the numbers. Strive for better.

He'll be back in the league within a couple of years I'd imagine, although the two most likely candidates of clubs I'd fancy him to end up at are actually his two previous clubs before West Brom so maybe not.

Correct decision for me.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I'm not really sure what more the owners of West Brom expect, to be honest.

Three of their twelve games have been against Chelsea, City and Arsenal, games they're not expected to win anyway and they've only lost once at home this season, on Saturday to the current champions. 

West Brom for me should be trying to nab that 7th spot while Everton are in turmoil. They're not even close. They haven't progressed whereas smaller clubs like Burnley and Watford have.

• Subscriber
Just now, Batard said:

What were the odds on Pulis prior to the Chelsea game? 7/4?

4/1 rings a bell, it was between him and Paul Clement.

Clement will be next, surely. I reckon they lose this weekend and he's gone.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Fuck life.

It's deep rooted into the English game now. Only a select few clubs are allowed to show any kind of ambition. Protect our wonderful status quo!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Allardyce favourite. A fat version of Pulis.

That's fucking like.... the most lateral movement in history. Fucking that's like saying boy I don't like Roy Hodgson, let's go with Harry Redknapp.

Archived