talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UEFA's Ultimate Team of the 21st Century

football forum

img_fmunoz_20171120-163207_imagenes_md_o

UEFA's Ultimate of Ultimate Teams

UEFA traditionally offer their Ultimate Team of the Year around about this time every 12 months and this year coupled with that they've decided to also announce their Ultimate of Ultimates...  In other words their opinion on the best XI in the 21st Century.

There's a lot of household names there and they've put some of the out of position so as to fit in all those they wanted to...  Maybe some of you think there are omissions, so who would you take out to put in.

There's a lot of debate here for sure and a curious thing is that there are no Manchester United players unless you consider Cristiano as part of any United team.  For me personally the most contentious part is Gerrard in for Scholes.

Players selcted

• Iker Casillas (GK) - Real Madrid
  • Carles Puyol (CB) - FC Barcelona
  • Gerard Piqué (CB) - FC Barcelona
  • Philipp Lahm (LB) - Bayern Munich
  • Sergio Ramos (RB) - Real Madrid CF
  • Xavi (CM) - FC Barcelona
  • Steven Gerrard (RM) - Liverpool FC
  • Andrés Iniesta (LM) - FC Barcelona
  • Thierry Henry (LF) - Arsenal FC
  • Cristiano Ronaldo (RF) - Real Madrid CF
  • Lionel Messi (CF) - FC Barcelona

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

What would you do to add Ronaldo and Ronaldinho?

I'm also thinking Roberto Carlos

Take out Henry. 

If not Scholes, then take out Gerrard for Ronaldinho. 

Carlos is a great shout actually. I love Lahm but happily sacrifice him for Roberto Carlos. 

I'm not sure about Puyol and  Pique. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'm not sure about Puyol and  Pique.

I'd swap Piqué for Maldini (just about though because Maldini's best years were much earlier) but Puyol for me is one of the greatest centre-backs of all time let alone the last 17 years of football.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

img_fmunoz_20171120-163207_imagenes_md_o

UEFA's Ultimate of Ultimate Teams

UEFA traditionally offer their Ultimate Team of the Year around about this time every 12 months and this year coupled with that they've decided to also announce their Ultimate of Ultimates...  In other words their opinion on the best XI in the 21st Century.

There's a lot of household names there and they've put some of the out of position so as to fit in all those they wanted to...  Maybe some of you think there are omissions, so who would you take out to put in.

There's a lot of debate here for sure and a curious thing is that there are no Manchester United players unless you consider Cristiano as part of any United team.  For me personally the most contentious part is Gerrard in for Scholes.

Players selcted

• Iker Casillas (GK) - Real Madrid
  • Carles Puyol (CB) - FC Barcelona
  • Gerard Piqué (CB) - FC Barcelona
  • Philipp Lahm (LB) - Bayern Munich
  • Sergio Ramos (RB) - Real Madrid CF
  • Xavi (CM) - FC Barcelona
  • Steven Gerrard (RM) - Liverpool FC
  • Andrés Iniesta (LM) - FC Barcelona
  • Thierry Henry (LF) - Arsenal FC
  • Cristiano Ronaldo (RF) - Real Madrid CF
  • Lionel Messi (CF) - FC Barcelona

Van Nistelrooy was better in the Champions League then Henry,  I believe Van Nistelrooy was 2nd in the list of scores behind Raul before Messi and Ronaldo came along. 

27 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Personally I'd have this;

CASILLAS

LAHM / DANI ALVES  -  MALDINI  -  PUYOL  -  ROBERTO CARLOS

XAVI

SCHOLES     -     INIESTA

MESSI     -       RONALDO    -    C. RONALDO

Seedorf should easily be in there ahead of Scholes,  Seedorf is one of the legends of the Champions, been in 6 finals and won the trophy with 3 different teams. 

These things are only picked on moments rather that performances over the length of time,   to have Gerrard in the team of the last 17 years is a joke, he is only remembered for the team of 2005 thats it,  Liverpool have not always been in the Champions league season after season.    Also to have Henry in their is very laughable,   he had his moments with Arsenal but only won it once with Barcelona. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

There' the argument for Ronaldo too as he' never won it.

Seedorf is nailed in for me. 

Seedorf not been in there is just a joke,  he is the most successful player of the Champions League history due to winning it with a number of clubs plus his final appearances also. 

1 minute ago, VanPaddy said:

Seedorf not been in there is just a joke,  he is the most successful player of the Champions League history due to winning it with a number of clubs plus his final appearances also. 

Do your XI then mate... It'll be interesting to see how you shift the side.  This isn't easy and those who made the vote for UEFA to publish this have compromised many things so as to fit trademark names in.

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Seedorf is an interesting one but for me Scholes was superior.  Obviously that's a very personal opinion because Paul Scholes really is one of my favourite players.  But @Cicero is very good on that one!

We are judging by Champions League influence, not who are the superior players. Ronaldo would then easily be ahead of Eto'o 

Just now, Cicero said:

We are judging by Champions League influence, not who are the superior players. Ronaldo would then easily be ahead of Eto'o 

But do you think those who voted in this only considered Champions League status?

For me their original list seems to have taking a number of things into consideration.

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

But do you think those who voted in this only considered Champions League status?

For me their original list seems to have taking a number of things into consideration.

Those are the same mongs who continue to have Ronaldo win the Balon d'Or

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Those are the same mongs who continue to have Ronaldo win the Balon d'Or

Well they've even compromised positions...  They've put Ramos as a right-back where he hasn't played since 2007 and in that sense this would be Lahm's position or Dani Alves depending on the preference.  Then so as to fit in Henry they've put Cristiano on the right where he played for United and yet put him in a Real Madrid kit.

Archived