talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Raheem Sterling this season

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a young boy like Sane and should improve every season in a team that plays to his strengths like ours, he's already scored 11 goals this season and it's not even December  ..we have seen flashes of brilliance from him at Liverpool and in some games for us but this season he looks to be on another level, hope he can maintain this form

He's young and has suffered the same fate most youngsters do with being propelled as the next messiah.

With that said he has been frustrating to watch, poor decision making, poor end product, gets tackled too easily, lost count of the amount of nutmegs he's failed to do and lost the ball from.

He could be a very good player and is starting to come of age a bit this season, I don't think his price tag has helped him.

3 hours ago, Danny said:

He's young and has suffered the same fate most youngsters do with being propelled as the next messiah.

With that said he has been frustrating to watch, poor decision making, poor end product, gets tackled too easily, lost count of the amount of nutmegs he's failed to do and lost the ball from.

He could be a very good player and is starting to come of age a bit this season, I don't think his price tag has helped him.

Agreed. High price tag hurts many young players.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, True Blue said:

He is doing well for himself, to be true in a very very good team. He is now using his best qualities in his advantage, but i am still not very impressed with him.

Fair points. So what would impress you? 

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

He’ll be moved on within a few years, still fucks up passes a considerable amount and makes the wrong decision. 

Guardiola considered letting him go to Arsenal for a reason.

You say that, Guardiola was the person who vetoed the move 

19 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

He’ll be moved on within a few years, still fucks up passes a considerable amount and makes the wrong decision. 

He didn’t though. Pep categorically ruled it out. 

24 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Considering he needs a certain amount of English players... Why would Pep move Sterling on, when he is consistently producing the goods? Which English player would he replace him with? 

Think about it? 

• Administrator

Victim of his own hype in the last few years so now that he's playing well, it's like it's a flash in the pan. 

People say he's only playing well because of the players around him. So what? If he wasn't playing well with others around him, he's gonna get criticised as well. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

You can't negate Sterling's good performances this season just because he's playing with other good players. I hope it's not just this season he plays well; I hope he continues to improve cos he can be key not only for Man City but for England too if he can play the same way. 

30 minutes ago, Stan said:

Victim of his own hype in the last few years so now that he's playing well, it's like it's a flash in the pan. 

People say he's only playing well because of the players around him. So what? If he wasn't playing well with others around him, he's gonna get criticised as well. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

You can't negate Sterling's good performances this season just because he's playing with other good players. I hope it's not just this season he plays well; I hope he continues to improve cos he can be key not only for Man City but for England too if he can play the same way. 

There's your so what. He's playing well because he's given so much space and freedom because he's surrounded by brilliant players. He won't have that when he plays for England, so you'll see a completely different player.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

There's your so what. He's playing well because he's given so much space and freedom because he's surrounded by brilliant players. He won't have that when he plays for England, so you'll see a completely different player.

that was in relation to the fact he's going to get criticism however he plays. When will people accept that he's a good player? Or is he never going to make that level?

On 23/11/2017 at 7:56 AM, The Artful Dodger said:

Sterling going to Arsenal has never even been considered, Wenger was told no straight away, Pep even laughed at the proposal of him being part of a Sanchez deal, Pep rates him highly, that is why we bought him

On 23/11/2017 at 9:15 AM, Stan said:

On tell England get a good manager, players like Sterling will be wasted 

10 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Sure if you believe paper rubbish 

looks like you do. 

Sterling was never going anywhere and won’t. 

• Subscriber

The guy is only 22 and will get better with time provided he has good management around him, which he does now. He's come a long way from when he was with us and while it still irks me about how he left I don't think you can deny he has improved under Pep. Even if that's a by-product of having 'good' players around him you still have to turn up and play just as well to create chances or put them away. Having the kind of competition he does at City is going to spur him on to get better because its not like Pep doesn't have better options to put out every single time.

I think fundamentally his issue was overthinking. Of course, his touch lets him down sometimes, but more than anything his mistakes came from poor decisions. 

At Liverpool he became their go-to attacking outlet and he didn't have the confidence to embrace that role, and ended up dawdling on the ball and killing attacks. Then he first goes to City and the pressure of his fee meant that persisted in a way. These days at City the focus isnt on him, instead he's playing in a smooth-running side and he's free to stick to what he's good at - taking on defenders one-on-one and making dangerous runs into space.

Most of the time when he gets the ball he's either in a clear shooting or cutback situation, or he's so deep that he knows obviously just to lay it off to a forward-facing creative player behind him. 

He's a talented player who has been coached well, infused with confidence, and placed in a system and role that suits his strengths and avoids his flaws.

Archived