The better place to talk football.

Powerful Pictures

football forum

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I loved this photo.

I walked through the gutted cathedral… then the crucifix shone from what remained of the altar, a symbol of defiance in the gloom: ROBERT HARDMAN is among first witnesses inside ravaged Notre Dame

Robert Hardman for the Daily Mail

BBVYkjY.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A hungry child stares into a bakery window, Whitechapel in the 1930s by Edith Tudor-Hart.  She used photography to highlight social inequality.

The Conservative MPs who regularly laugh, grin, mock and guffaw when reminded of the impact of austerity on children have lost their humanity. But then again some really want to return to “the good old days”.

A55B5FDC-1078-4EC4-8C77-B87ACECC015C.jpeg

• Subscriber

I love looking at old b/w photos from years gone by, they always send a tingle down my spine and this being (below) is one of them taken in 1860.  :x

Quote.thumb.png.3d063760890f74b124642e9b4f84c9c4.png

Almanac: America's first aerial photograph

AAIIEwc.img?h=799&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Boston Public Library Boston-as-the-eagle-and-the-wild-goose-see-it-by-James-Wallace-black-1860-Boston-public-library-promo.jpg

On October 13, 1860, two years after the French photographer Gaspard-Félix Tournachon (a.k.a. Nadar) took images of Paris from a tethered balloon, James Wallace Black took a photograph of Boston from a balloon 1,200 feet up.

Black (1825-1896), an innovative Boston photographer and portraitist, rode aboard Samuel Archer King's hot-air balloon, the "Queen of the Air," as it was tethered at Boston Common, to expose glass plate negatives. The resulting photo was titled "Boston, as the Eagle and the Wild Goose See It" – the first such aerial photograph in America.

The first, but hardly the last.

Today, thanks to satellite imagery and the internet, aerial views of just about anywhere on Earth are available at our fingertips. Not to mention the advent of the drone camera, which allows just about anyone to get a bird's-eye view.

Though when it comes to hands-on aerial photography, few can match Vincent Laforet. Following in the tradition of James Wallace Black, Laforet also photographs cities from above, only he does it hanging out of the open doors of helicopters, sometimes at 11,000 feet or more, often at night.

"It was almost an out-of-body experience because it's just beautiful up there," he told correspondent Lee Cowan, who in 2015 went along with Laforet on a vertiginous flight over Miami.

Cowan asked, "So, what is it that you're really looking for?"

AAIICyW.img?h=600&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. "Boston, as the Eagle and the Wild Goose See It," by James Wallace Black, captured on October 13, 1860, from a balloon - the first aerial photograph taken in America. 

"I'm looking down there and I'm trying to make order out of chaos, looking for patterns, geometry, colour, and light," Laforet said.

Still, for all the differences in technology and technique over the years, the aim of the photographer remains much the same, as Laforet said, "As a photographer, as a visual communicator, you try to find images no one has seen before. That's your goal."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/almanac-americas-first-aerial-photograph/ar-AAILARm

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber

An abandoned stretch of industrial railway track near Klevan in the Ukraine is overgrown with trees and foliage in the spring and summer months, making for a romantic tunnelling effect. Couples love to stroll here for photo moments and to steal kisses that are said to be good luck in the aptly named Tunnel of Love.

AAG426n.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

These old photos are mesmerising to me and as I mentioned many a time I love looking at old black&white photos.  :x

Quote.thumb.png.b74e8966d0d71d729b75cf4a211d2ebd.png

BBUwgLl.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

A cavalry camp showing people, horses and tents on the plains of Balaklava, during the Crimean War. British photographer Roger Fenton’s images from the war were among the earliest attempts to capture armed skirmishes through a lens. From 1853 to 1856, the Russian Empire faced off against the combined forces of British, French and Ottoman Turkish on the Crimean Peninsula, over the former’s demands to establish protection over Orthodox subjects of the sultan of Ottoman. Another major reason for the conflict was a running dispute between Russia and France over church privileges of the Russian Orthodox and Roman Catholic in Palestine. Approximately 250,000 lost their lives and the Crimean War ended in Russian defeat.

BBUw6Sz.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

U.S. President Abraham Lincoln and a group of Union officers near Antietam Creek during the Civil War. Between 1861 to 1865, the northern American states, who were loyal to the Union, were embroiled in a bloody battle with southern Confederate states over several issues including the enslavement of black people. According to historians, between 750,000 to 850,000 people lost their lives in the conflict, which ended in Union victory.

BBUwsjv.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

The first powered, controlled and sustained flight, performed by the Wright Brothers in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, U.S. on Dec. 17. Orville Wright was at the controls of the machine while Wilbur ran alongside to balance the vessel. The flight lasted 12 seconds, achieving a height of 120 feet (37 meters).

BBUwhcP.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

A spinner in a cotton mill in Georgia, U.S. American sociologist and photographer Lewis Hine’s picture-driven survey of child labour in the early 20th century gave proof about its negative impacts, helping rally the society against the employment of children in the industry.

• Subscriber

The first photo was claimed to be fake I think it was as underneath the guys was a platform base or something but as I am scared of heights the photo always scared the shite out of me.

AAqeGEr.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Construction workers have their lunch atop the 69th floor of the RCA building in Rockefeller Center, in New York City. The staged photograph, titled “Lunch Atop a Skyscraper,” was part of a photographic promotional campaign for the skyscraper complex helmed by three photographers, Charles Ebbets, Thomas Kelley and William Leftwich, but it is not known which one of the three actually clicked the photo. At the time the country was experiencing the Great Depression and the picture became synonymous with American resilience and ambition in difficult times.

BB106I3x.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

The German passenger airship LZ 129 Hindenburg explodes as its flammable hydrogen gas caught fire over Lakehurst, New Jersey, U.S., on May 6, leading to the death of 36 people. Among the many clicked on the day, Sam Shere’s photo became the most iconic and won the Editor and Publisher Award for best news picture for 1937.

.AAqeDH6.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

A milkman makes a delivery on a London street devastated by German bombings during World War II, on Oct. 9, as firemen hose down the burning ruins. During the war, the German air force launched a deadly aerial assault against the U.K., where they targeted industrial towns and cities. The operation was popularly termed by the British press as the “Blitz.” Nearly 43,000 British civilians were killed in the attack.

• Subscriber

AAqeGm8.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

The world’s first electronic computer, ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer) being developed at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, U.S.

AAqeGFT.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Paul Overby, one of two drivers trapped in the cab of a tractor-trailer, is pulled to safety by a rope on the Pit River Bridge across Shasta Lake near Redding, California, U.S. on May 3. Overby and co-driver Hank Baum were rescued moments before the cab crashed down below. For the shot, Virginia Schau became the first woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for Photography in 1954.

BBrUIeR.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

A protester puts up a flower on a rifle held by Military Police personnel during a demonstration against Vietnam War, in Arlington, Virginia, U.S., on Oct. 21.

BBrVc1I.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Space Shuttle Challenger explodes shortly after lifting off from Kennedy Space Center in Florida, the U.S. on Jan. 28. All seven crew members died in the accident, which was blamed on the degradation of the seal on solid rocket boosters due to cold weather. The launch attracted a great media attention, as it was carrying Christa McAuliffe – the first teacher to go into space. The blast took place just 73 seconds after launch, in full view of TV cameras.

• Subscriber

Fast Work
September 1932: A worker at the telegraph office receiving a telegram over the phone and transcribing it directly by means of a typewriter.

september-1932-a-worker-at-the-telegraph

Telegrams
11th January 1941: A telegram stall in a city street in wartime.

11th-january-1941-a-telegram-stall-in-a-

Mail As Usual
A postman collecting mail from a post box surrounded by bomb damage in the Old Kent Road, London, WWII. 

postman-collecting-mail-from-a-post-box-

Urgent Message
circa 1952: General Post Office workers transmit and receive telegram messages over the phone, transcribing them directly by means of a typewriter.

circa-1952-general-post-office-workers-t

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.c7fd6c2b512fd4b58d25a48f2fc8a47e.png

Mauritius oil spill: Satellite images show removal operation

download.thumb.png.1ce13477035a6f4b16147dc35047c214.png

Most of the oil on board was pumped out before the ship broke apart at the weekend but nearly 1,000 tonnes leaked into the sea causing damage to the rich marine ecosystem.

An environment ministry official in Tokyo said the Japanese team would assess the impact on coral reefs. They will also take with them special materials designed to absorb oil.

FULL REPORT AND MORE PHOTOS

download (2).png

Archived