talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Powerful Pictures

football forum

Share your favourite photographs that fascinate you, move you whatsoever. 

Today I saw this on reddit, and I thought it was very moving. 

Rl5iWDJ.jpg

Afghan refugee Iaiba Hazrat, aged 6, at a slum on the outskirts of Pakistan's capital, Islamabad

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Great topic. I love photography, photojournalism was always a dream career of mine (which I unfortunately didn't pursue), and Robert Capa and James Nachtwey were one of my first heroes. I've seen thousands of powerful photos throughout the years, but the very first images that had a lasting effect on me and that are still burnt into my memory are probably the Viet Cong execution one, the Tank Man in Tiananmen square, the  Napalm girl, the Great Depression era migrants, and the self-immolation of the Vietnamese monk. All very well known for sure, so I won't bother posting them there. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Great topic. I love photography, photojournalism was always a dream career of mine (which I unfortunately didn't pursue), and Robert Capa and James Nachtwey were one of my first heroes. I've seen thousands of powerful photos throughout the years, but the very first images that had a lasting effect on me and that are still burnt into my memory are probably the Viet Cong execution one, the Tank Man in Tiananmen square, the  Napalm girl, the Great Depression era migrants, and the self-immolation of the Vietnamese monk. All very well known for sure, so I won't bother posting them there. 

What are you currently taking pics with nudge? I remember you talking about a Hasselblad once.

• Subscriber
Just now, Mel81x said:

What are you currently taking pics with nudge? I remember you talking about a Hasselblad once.

Canon EOS 450D for digital and Canon EOS 5 for film, mostly... Hasselblad is waaaaay too expensive for me, hehe, though I'd definitely love to play around with one. Or any other proper medium format camera, to be honest. Loved the old Mamiya and Rolleiflex.

Journalism is strange at times and almost like a fetish. The pictures of war, poverty, hunger etc that are shown generally serve people's subconscious to let them know that their feeling sorry for these people at a deeper level than normal will mean they still have some level of morality whilst they do nothing to stop atrocities from happening even though it's blasted all over the news and television.

Not a dig at you either by the way xD

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Danny said:

Journalism is strange at times and almost like a fetish. The pictures of war, poverty, hunger etc that are shown generally serve people's subconscious to let them know that their feeling sorry for these people at a deeper level than normal will mean they still have some level of morality whilst they do nothing to stop atrocities from happening even though it's blasted all over the news and television.

Not a dig at you either by the way xD

But that's the thing - our society has become mostly desentisized to gruesome images of war, poverty, hunger or critical social issues due to it being blasted all over the news and television, so photojournalism can barely be expected to be an agent for change anymore,  it has lost much of its ability to shock and shape opinion, especially with its own shortcomings such as manipulation of images and extreme bias. That was a bit different in the past though, take Vietnam War as the best example - it was mainly the sensational photographs that changed the public opinion, sparked outrage and fueled the protest movements thus directly influencing the course of the war. Hell, even today with largely apathetic and emotionally numb society that hardly cares about making any changes to anything, cleverly chosen images still have the power to shape public opinion, just look at how the photo of that drowned Syrian toddler influenced the attitudes and had an effect on refugee policies in Europe only a while ago. 

I love this sort of thing because not only does it emphasise our human traits, it also shows how "humans" are in the grand scheme of things.

To start I'll post one of the most "infamous" which is the photo of the Afghan Girl published by National Geographic.

Here, before and after and I'm sure we've all seen her.

afghan-girl.jpg

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

A young Rwandan photographed in an extermination camp some years back,  He is no longer with us for obvious reasons but before he was "exterminated" this is what was done to him!  Humanity!!!

5E6.jpg?9301

This is taken by James Nachtwey! There's an interesting story behind the photo. The man in the picture was a Hutu who was imprisoned for not supporting the genocide and for sympathising with the Tutsi. He actually survived after being hacked with machettes and this photo was taken at the Red Cross Hospital after he was freed.

27 minutes ago, nudge said:

This is taken by James Nachtwey! There's an interesting story behind the photo. The man in the picture was a Hutu who was imprisoned for not supporting the genocide and for sympathising with the Tutsi. He actually survived after being hacked with machettes and this photo was taken at the Red Cross Hospital after he was freed.

Thanks for the background on the picture Nudge. I’ve got an old folder from years back in an old computer of crimes of war and I dug this one out because it stuck in my mind. All I knew from the title I had was that he was part of a concentration camp.

I have more which I’ll post bit by bit. But all without background unfortunately. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Thanks for the background on the picture Nudge. I’ve got an old folder from years back in an old computer of crimes of war and I dug this one out because it stuck in my mind. All I knew from the title I had was that he was part of a concentration camp.

I have more which I’ll post bit by bit. But all without background unfortunately. 

No problem, hehe. I love learning the stories behind the image, we had a very interesting course on the history of photojournalism at the uni years ago so some of it is still stuck at the back of my head. This one I knew since its Nachtwey's work and the man's a hero.

• Subscriber

Great topic, ive always been fascinated with photography. I remember talking to nudge a bit before about cameras and such! One that sticks out on my recent memory that made the rounds here was back in 2011 durring our downtown riot after the canucks lost in game 7 in the stanley cup finals. The photographer was in the right place at the right time, there where alot of chilling memories from that night.

4958986.jpg

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Great topic, ive always been fascinated with photography. I remember talking to nudge a bit before about cameras and such! One that sticks out on my recent memory that made the rounds here was back in 2011 durring our downtown riot after the canucks lost in game 7 in the stanley cup finals. The photographer was in the right place at the right time, there where alot of chilling memories from that night.

4958986.jpg

I remember seeing this one and thinking the couple was in for a kiss, only to learn that they were knocked down by the riot police and that the guy was apparently comforting his hurt girlfriend...

• Subscriber

There's this one photo from the first Gulf War taken by Kenneth Jarecke in 1991, which shows the remains of an Iraqi soldier who burned alive in a truck on the Highway of Death. I remember how disturbing it was when I saw it for the first time; the US media in fact refused to run the picture at first.

To quote the photographer, "If I don't make pictures like this, people like my mother will think what they see in war is what they see in movies."

Putting it into spoiler tags as it IS graphic.

1991021.jpg?itok=LcFBHndW

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, nudge said:

I remember seeing this one and thinking the couple was in for a kiss, only to learn that they were knocked down by the riot police and that the guy was apparently comforting his hurt girlfriend...

Yeah my first thought was it had to be staged. The couple actually came forward and did a number of interviews as the picture went viral and yeah that was the story they told, they didnt blame police they just said wrong place wrong time sort of thing, i think they where Aussie if i remember right.

Speaking of Hiroshima, i have some pictures of the A bomb dome from when i was there ill try and dig up when im home on the weekend. The thing i remember the most from the museum was one imagine in particular of a shadow burned into the stairs of some building, similar to this. From my recollection the bit said the person would have been standing near the epicenter when it went off.

58d1ba395bb4d497c96478ed875b2502--hirosh

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I subscribe to National Geographic mainly for the photography. It's an excellent publication. 

Anyway, putting this in spoiler tags because it's quite heavy but the photo that always springs to mind when discussing this is The Vulture and the Little Girl by Kevin Carter. Some time after taking this photo Kevin unfortunately committed suicide, both because of a lack of money and because of the horrors that he had witnessed whilst carrying out his photographic hobby but the image below doesn't half make you stop and think. 

Tragic. 

Reveal hidden contents

rawafrica_The-vulture-and-the-little-gir

He killed himself because he felt guilty for being a piece of shit that stopped to set up his camera and waited for the perfect shot, instead of helping that child. 

• Administrator

i quite like pictures of animals, close up. Those perfect shots which capture the raw nature of the animals in their own habitat.

Image result for best animal pictures lions

Lions and elephants are my 2 favourite animals. The latter's intelligence and elegance and friendliness strike a chord...

Image result for best elephant photos

• Subscriber

It's not that simple. In Carter's defense, he's been documenting famine and witnessing starved people dying at a rate of twenty per hour for days before this pic was taken, so this situation, while tragic, was not unique; where were plenty of other children briefly left behind by their parents on the same path to the food distribution center; there were at least three other photographers at the same place taking photos of the same scene, the only difference is those didn't shock the world as much as Carter's photo did so he was the only one being judged. And as sad as it sounds, you HAVE to become desensitised to be even able to work in the field where your main job is documenting suffering and deaths without getting involved.

That photo is probably the best example of the ethical issues and moral dilemmas in photojournalism though.

• Subscriber

Also, to expand on that - the name of the boy in the picture was Kong Nyong, he actually was already being taken care of  (you can even see the plastic bracelet on his wrist in original photo with identification number),  his aunt was a few meters away going to get the food, and he recovered despite being severely malnourished and lived for another 14 years. 

Archived