talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Marcos Alonso

Just now, carefreeluke said:

Quality order. I'm probably doing a dis-service to Alonso with having Baba there and Zhirkov, Baba has barely played and wasn't in Conte's plans, we still don't know what sort of level he is. Furthermore, it's probably a fair point that Alonso has offered more to the club compared to Zhirkov but if Zhirkov was at the club instead of Alonso when Conte came in, I'd argue Zhirkov would have offered more.

If we're looking for other positives (I'm scraping the barrel here) about Alonso it's his height which you have to say in this league is a factor.

I'd go this way (quality - contribution)

1. Ashley Cole

2. William Gallas

3. Wayne Bridge

4. Ryan Betrand

5. Marcos Alonso

6. Zhirkov

7. Felipe Luis

8. Baba Rahman

Also i despise Gallas after his departure, but credit where it's due.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I'd go this way (quality - contribution)

1. Ashley Cole

2. William Gallas

3. Wayne Bridge

4. Ryan Betrand

5. Marcos Alonso

6. Zhirkov

7. Felipe Luis

8. Baba Rahman

Also i despise Gallas after his departure, but credit where it's due.

If you're judging the full backs on their performances for Chelsea, then fair enough, I agree with your list entirely. I was taking into account less their performances in a Chelsea shirt but more the overall quality of the player. One of worse things we did in recent years was getting rid of Filipe who has been one the key attacking players for Atlético Madrid, he struggled at times in a Chelsea shirt but overall never got enough playing time, he would have worked well in our current system. Filipe never got sufficient game time in which we could judge him more fairly, it was always games here and there. Quality player.

Azpi was also a left back for us for a couple of years.

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

What actually happened with Baba? He seemed to arrive and depart overnight.

Another dodgy buy, played for around 20 games. Then went to Schalke where he suffered a long term injury. He returned to the club but still out injured.

I was a fan of Le Saux. Outstanding going forward, more than adequate defending when his above average speed got him out of trouble. His left hand side partnership with Babayaro was a highlight of that team which produced most of our attacking. He would be 2nd only to Ashley for me and to add to that Babayaro would also be in the mix of top 5 left backs.

Gallas was a CH who got pissed at playing LB which contributed to his moving. He and John were the best pairing of CH I have seen in 40 years of watching all football.

• 11 months later...

Archived