talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England Youth Team Discussion

football forum

Was looking into which clubs have produced the most players for the tournaments over the Summer but it doesn't include the Toulon tournament the numbers. I'd be interested to know what the numbers are for the academies themselves as opposed to academies signing other academies products. Still, interesting Chelsea lead it considering they'll never get a chance.

Chelsea: 20

Everton: 8

Man City: 8

Spurs: 6

Southampton: 6

Arsenal: 5

Leicester: 4

Man Utd: 3

Newcastle: 3

Fulham: 3

Liverpool: 3

Reading: 3

West Ham: 2

B'muff: 2

Villa: 2

Forest: 2

Boro: 2

Derby: 2

Wolves: 2 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

It's still weird how Chelsea have such a good youth set-up which presumably they've invested in to bring one player into the first team every 20 years.

Our youth set-up is one small thing we can still be proud of if we haven't ruined half of our best young players by exposing them to the absolute cluster fuck of the first team so far this season.

Well, Christensen looks to have his starting spot nailed on. He's looking ever so confident and gets better by the game. First time since Terry an academy player has started 3 consecutive games. 

If they are good enough, they will play. If not, they will be sold for potential, which gives the club a financial gain.

That is the mindset of the club. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 06/09/2018 at 07:06, Marc said:

U21 game at Carrow Road tonight v Netherlands. 

Looking forward to it, but bet it will be ruined by screaming kids. It’ll be nice to see Maddison and Gunn on the hallowed turf again *crys*

How was it? Did three at the back with Sessegnon and Bissaka as wing backs work?

It wasn’t the most exciting evening of my life. 

They changed between 3 and the back and 4 (Chilwell left back) a few times. I thought Bissaka was  one of the best players on the pitch. We lacked creativity which was surprising. Maddison seemed like he was trying too hard and things didn’t come off for him. Gray was good too, as was Chilwell. I’ve never been impressed with Calvert-Lewin, Onomah was quiet too. 

A boring game, but good result in the grand scheme of qualification.

9 hours ago, Marc said:

It wasn’t the most exciting evening of my life. 

They changed between 3 and the back and 4 (Chilwell left back) a few times. I thought Bissaka was  one of the best players on the pitch. We lacked creativity which was surprising. Maddison seemed like he was trying too hard and things didn’t come off for him. Gray was good too, as was Chilwell. I’ve never been impressed with Calvert-Lewin, Onomah was quiet too. 

A boring game, but good result in the grand scheme of qualification.

Interesting that Aidy didn't preserve with three at the back. I can't say I'm surprised. For somebody who invented Hoothroyd you can understand his lack of faith in the way modern football has moved. Gareth Southgate's failure at Middlesbrough is evidence of how somebody can learn and improve so there's hope he can take advantage of his situation 

I'm surprised about Bissaka and it's a testiment to him. I have preached for time about Palace giving faith in academy players and i thought the next one coming through would be given a lot of patience and time because of the wait (which was fortunately for himself him). The fact he's holding his own against players in his age group is really telling.

Am I right in thinking Maddison was a part of a three up top like Talksport made out? Massive shame if true as a lack of creativity would have explained what you said about him working too hard. Fingers crossed we can produce another midfield in the centre or on the right his level to get the best out of him.

• Subscriber

I only saw the first half and likewise I think Maddison was trying to do a bit too much. He'd often go for the spectacular when he could've played Calvert-Lewin in. I think if the game was played at a different ground he wouldn't have been going for glory so frequently.

I do like the fact Maddison, Gray and Chilwell are all first team starters for us this year, for all of their flaws you've got to hand it to Puel for sticking with the latter two despite plenty of poor performances. I rate the fact he will take that risk for the benefit of developing younger players. Still think Gray's looked a bit iffy for us this year but Chilwell has been possibly our best player. He's had four good games and no others can say that.

5 hours ago, Dan said:

I only saw the first half and likewise I think Maddison was trying to do a bit too much. He'd often go for the spectacular when he could've played Calvert-Lewin in. I think if the game was played at a different ground he wouldn't have been going for glory so frequently.

I do like the fact Maddison, Gray and Chilwell are all first team starters for us this year, for all of their flaws you've got to hand it to Puel for sticking with the latter two despite plenty of poor performances. I rate the fact he will take that risk for the benefit of developing younger players. Still think Gray's looked a bit iffy for us this year but Chilwell has been possibly our best player. He's had four good games and no others can say that.

I think the league has lacked an exciting attacking team since Swansea and Southampton's demise, hoping you take that over.

• Subscriber
On 08/09/2018 at 05:12, Danny said:

I think the league has lacked an exciting attacking team since Swansea and Southampton's demise, hoping you take that over.

And me! I think we've got the tools to be a good side now. Plenty of young and talented players at the club.

Archived