talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

• Subscriber

Pickford is our only signing who's not been shite. Long time before we can say whether he's as good as we hope though. Was hard to judge in a relegation side conceding chances and goals constantly. That still holds true.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Very refreshing performance. Puel not scared one bit to come in and stamp his own marker on the side by dropping both Okazaki and Albrighton - two players who often frustrate, but two players we're often worse without. To say he was deemed negative and boring at Southampton, he threw in Gray, Chilwell and Mahrez. Chilwell on the wing makes sense. He's good going forward but a bit soft defensively. Mahrez we all know about, Gray is probably feeling great about things right now. Today was the first time he truly did deliver on his obvious promise for me, thought it was his best game in a Leicester shirt.

Our first is the best goal we've scored this season by a considerable distance. Fantastic counter attacking goal.

Said at the time they should've definitely had a penalty, and at 2-0 that's a very big decision, so we've gotten right off with that one.

But other than that I don't remember us coming under much threat. They had a lot of the ball but I think it could've just as easily been 3-0 as 2-1 given how many chances we had to counter but fucked up the final ball. Think Vardy where he's tried to do it all too quickly and subsequently lost the ball, for example.

An encouraging performance and one that defies a lot of what his critics said about him. Given Everton's form we had to win that really and we have. Early days but a very good start under him.

• Subscriber

That was the best Gray has ever played for us I think. He's so often shown glimpses of being good but he was very impressive today. Puel might be exactly what he needed all along.

• Administrator

First half we were all over Everton. Second half not so much and we let them back in to the game. Thankfully they're not that good right now but a better team would have picked us off left, right and centre.

Our first goal was brilliant and typified what we're all about and what we're known for. Defend a free-kick, counter at will and use the pace in the side to create a chance. Gray was superb and although the assist won't go down to him, he did all the hard work running as far as he did and laying it up for Mahrez to cross. I said at the time that one of the Everton players should have taken him down to stop the chance but no one got close. I suspect Davies would have if he wasn't already on a yellow. 

Second goal was completely fluke. Genuinely had a bit of sympathy for Kenny because it was so unfortunate for him and because of how young he is. Wanting the whole ground to swallow him up by the looks of it. 

We could have been about 3-0 or 4-0 up by that time though so it was the least we deserved. They do say you make your own luck though.

There's no denying we were very fortunate not to concede a penalty. 1) Lennon had Fuchs on toast and had got by him a couple of times already. 2) What the fuck is Fuchs sliding in from behind on a player anyway?! 3) Referee has favoured us hugely there!

Sidenote - Rooney is a twat. How the hell does he get away with giving referees so much shit time and time again? So many times he was kicking out snidely at our players as well. Ridiculous how much he gets away with and he was totally ineffective anyway. Genuinely surprised me to see Mirallas and Lennon come off before him. 

Regardless, hope Puel gets the credit he deserved. So many people call him boring and that his Saints side found it difficult to score. If the first half is anything to go by, we'll have no trouble scoring and being excited by the football he gets the players playing. As @Dan said, strong signs that he is willing to make his mark on the team by changing the formation immediately and changing personnel. Interesting to see how he lines up against Stoke though which is always a tricky away game for us. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Pep Talk said:

good start for Leicester. Gray really needs to start all the time

it's as if he's been waiting to put in that kind of performance in for months and months. We've not seen him that good consistently for 90 minutes or whenever he's got a run out before. If Puel can get the best out of him we're sorted. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

it's as if he's been waiting to put in that kind of performance in for months and months. We've not seen him that good consistently for 90 minutes or whenever he's got a run out before. If Puel can get the best out of him we're sorted. 

Maybe he just needs consistent starts? could be wrong but don't think he has got that this season?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Pep Talk said:

Maybe he just needs consistent starts? could be wrong but don't think he has got that this season?

yeah he hasn't to be fair. But that's because Albrighton complimented the way we set up and is more defensively aware to help Simpson or Fuchs. Gray is extremely attacking but it was a perfect day for that kind of set up which worked well for him.

3 hours ago, 6666 said:

Is it just me that thinks Pickford isn't actually that good? He's a good shot stopper if the shot is within his wing span but he doesn't seem that great at covering the goal. Seems a bit overweight as well for a footballer. Can't jump.

But but but he can do a sideways volley out of his hands though.

• Subscriber

My only problem with Pickford is the 'oh my god he can hit a half decent long ball out of his hands so we MUST distribute every ball from defence long from the goalkeeper'. So fucking stupid and predictable all season, expecting the likes of Rooney and Lennon to win aerial battles against centre halves. Not Pickford's fault unless he's been told not to do it and he is anyway but very disappointed it was still evident today even with a new manager.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Lucas said:

In fairness to Jordan Pickford, he has far too many shots to save with these two at centre back as your protection.

traffic_cone_3d_model_3ds_dwg_fbx_dxf_obj_max_w3d___52bd99fe-9ce2-45f6-948e-e655cfde1441.thumb.jpg.94409c968066c7abc9e2fdd9b3f80a34.jpg

Harsh on Jagielka I think. Williams has had a shocking season but Jagielka at 35 shouldn't be expected to start every game and carry this defence. Keane started well but has completely lost confidence because we've been getting consistently battered by opponents due to being unable to keep the ball and our midfield being awful at screening the defence. Baines' legs have gone to a large extent as well and is constantly getting caught up the pitch which he is forced to do to provide some width for our non-existent attack when we're constantly chasing games. We have no alternative at left back and the right back situation is an absolute mess between Martina who I doubt will ever play for us again, Holgate who isn't actually a full back and Kenny who is yet another young lad learning his trade in a side devoid of confidence. Jagielka would actually be doing a decent job for most other teams in the league even at 35 and has been the best of a bad bunch, or at least has the most excuse to be as poor as our defenders have been.

9 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

To be fair I think Pickford is a decent prospect and he doesn't exactly drop clangers every week but Everton well over paid for him. 

He looked great making worldie saves in what was essentially an absolutely fucking shocking Sunderland side.

Disagree. £30m seems a lot to pay for a goalkeeper but a pretty normal price to pay for a player who could fill one of your starting spots for 10+ years and I've seen nothing to suggest he'll need replacing any time soon unless we become serious top four challengers on a regular basis which looks like an absolutely laughable suggestion at the moment.

Everton looked shite even against Man City where they came away with a decent result earlier in the season. Just seemed to kick it long and target City's left hand side which looked like a decent enough tactic against City as it caused them problems but I did start to wonder after they attempted the exact same thing not long after against us at Stamford Bridge. The whole game was them kicking it long to our left hand side but Alonso given his height had no problems dealing with it, this, and combined with the fact Pickford's distribution is shite meant the game was extremely comfortable for us. Remember a few games last season where I thought they were nothing but a hoof ball side as well.

For me they've always lacked direction tactically and what's always been true for me about Everton sides over the last ten years or so is that they seem to rely on a direct style that relies on outfighting and outworking opponents more than anything else but they lack the superior direction and identity tactically and technically to go alongside that. Everton sides from Moyes to now have always seemed to have a very British feel about them but a lack of above which would have and taken them to higher levels. Going to Goodison Park for me has always been a tough game where I know if the Everton side are on it, there going to work hard and press us and attempt to get the crowd on their side but I know if we're on our game we can always out think and outplay them tactically and technically and come away with the three points. A particular image that depicts this for me was the Arsenal game last season I think it was and the Merseyside Derby, just saw a group of players for Everton running around until they couldn't stand up, passion is great to see (and they won the Arsenal game I think) but when it comes with a lack of or inferior direction tactically and technically more often and not you're going to come up short in the grand scheme of things. Everton are more than capable of beating any side when they play in that manner but more often and not better clubs will walk away with the points because generally there's more thought that goes into their game.

Maybe Everton fans will disagree I don't know.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Harsh on Jagielka I think. Williams has had a shocking season but Jagielka at 35 shouldn't be expected to start every game and carry this defence. Keane started well but has completely lost confidence because we've been getting consistently battered by opponents due to being unable to keep the ball and our midfield being awful at screening the defence. Baines' legs have gone to a large extent as well and is constantly getting caught up the pitch which he is forced to do to provide some width for our non-existent attack when we're constantly chasing games. We have no alternative at left back and the right back situation is an absolute mess between Martina who I doubt will ever play for us again, Holgate who isn't actually a full back and Kenny who is yet another young lad learning his trade in a side devoid of confidence. Jagielka would actually be doing a decent job for most other teams in the league even at 35 and has been the best of a bad bunch, or at least has the most excuse to be as poor as our defenders have been.

Whilst I agree at 35 you can't expect much from Jagielka, the fact of the matter is he shouldn't really be playing full stop. He's too slow, especially given Williams turns like a tank too. Those two are shipping goals like there's no tomorrow and what's worrying is that as the two most experienced centre backs, they should have more organisation.

I totally get that the midfield are not protecting the defence enough but on the flip side, it's also a bit of a cop out for me because the defence simply has to work harder. Teams are exploiting the lack of speed you have back there.

You bought Michael Keane for the present and future and I think you need to stick by him. He is clearly a good defender. He should be your centre back for the next 5 years at least and whilst his confidence may be shot, it's not going to get any better sat on the bench whilst a 35 year old is in his place. He's got to get back in there, man up and come out the other side a better player for it.

Personally, I'd try Keane and Holgate together, especially if Holgate is more of a centre back as you say, see how that works out. I know there may be a so called 'lack of experience' but it can't really get much worse.

• Subscriber

I honestly don't know what you were thinking having that back four that high up that often, against the pace we have on the counter, it's just suicidal tactics to play against us when we're on song.

• Subscriber

@Lucas @Dan don't disagree with either of you but with Keane and Funes Mori injured the only fit first team defenders who didn't play are Holgate and Martina, both of whom may have played instead of Kenny. It's a catch 22. Martina I'd happily never see set foot on a football pitch for us again while Holgate v Kenny at right back is a toss up. Perhaps we could put Holgate central and bench Williams but Holgate played centre half earlier this season when we had injuries and he was miles away from being ready too.

It goes back to our recruitment yet again. Since Oviedo was moved on and Garbutt/Galloway shipped out on loan, we have had nobody to cover or rotate with Baines. Martina has played left back once or twice but he's absolutely woeful and I'll never understand why we signed a player who couldn't make the bench at Southampton. We signed Keane who is a good defender but still came into the season with Jagielka (35), Williams (shite) and Funes Mori (injured and not reliable anyway) as our other central defenders. Forgetting about how shit Martina is, his main position is right back which makes it an even more baffling move when that's the only position we already have some depth with Coleman who's actually good and Holgate and Kenny to fill that gap while he's injured.

Bottom line is in defence we have very little opportunity to play different players so you can't solve the pace problem. First goal comes from a poor set piece delivery and inexperience of Davies not bringing Gray down and taking the booking, after that we have to try and get back into the game, maybe the centre backs should sit deeper but Baines has to get forward to support our attack which needs all the help it can get leaving gaps behind him.

It just beggars belief what a shambolic squad we seem to have. We've invested in the Ajax captain and a forward who hit double figures last season in La Liga, both can't make the bench, we've got numerous players who are injured so frequently or for so long I sometimes forget they exist (Funes Mori, Coleman, Bolasie, Besic, McCarthy, Barkley), and we're fielding several youngsters in this team so dysfunctional (Kenny, Holgate, Baningime, Davies, Lookman, Vlasic, Calvert-Lewin) that it can't be doing them any good.

I really don't know what the answer is. Anything besides a loss to Lyon midweek will be frankly incredible, by the time Watford come to Goodison next weekend we'll be coming in off the back of three straight losses and the new manager effect will have worn off. Can only hope Unsworth keeps the fans on side with his press conferences and team selections between now and then so that there's a positive atmosphere in that game and we get a result.

Dreadful yet again. Gana very poor to just let Gray run past him for the first, Gareth Barry completely wipes him out there and takes the booking. And the second was poor from Kenny, who was shite all game. As well as Davies. The young lads are getting threw in when we're low on everything isn't going to help them, I just hope they're strong mentally because this shit is enough to scar you for ages and ruin a career. 

It's a time when the senior players have to stand up and they're just not. Rooney isn't doing it, the three at the back aren't either. I really don't want to start getting on Baines' back every week but it's going to happen the longer he plays. Legs have gone completely. 

We can't really turn down the "survivor" managers down now. Allardyce et al. We're in trouble. 

• The title was changed to Matchday Chat - 28-30th October 2017
  • The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived