talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

• Subscriber

Saw the highlights of the Chelsea - Watford game and Watford were just unlucky not to get something out of it with the chances they had. That goal by Doucouré was very hard on the outside of the foot with that many people in front of the goal.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Not sure on any stats but it seems like Man Utd always lose to newly promoted northern towns away from home.

Huddersfield's win today actually reminded me of our win over Utd 3 years ago when we returned to the Premier League. 

Won 5-3 then didn't win again til after Christmas xD 

15 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Saw the highlights of the Chelsea - Watford game and Watford were just unlucky not to get something out of it with the chances they had. That goal by Doucouré was very hard on the outside of the foot with that many people in front of the goal.

Yeah they were, Watford were very impressive today, very well coached, the result flattered us and papered over the cracks however football always punishes the wasteful and rewards the clinical. If you don't take your chances, you don't deserve nothing.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

Yeah they were, Watford were very impressive today, very well coached, the result flattered us and papered over the cracks however football always punishes the wasteful and rewards the clinical.

I think that when you get to the point where you're not converting chances things have to be worked on. Its the same criticism I have with Liverpool and the way they'll create all these chances with no real end-product but as you said being clinical in front of goal is all that matters in the end. Has Kante's absence really caused this much of an imbalance and would you'll have done better today (absorbing pressure) with a better midfield anchorman?

3 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Our game was terrible

xD

Wrong decision not to start Merino and made worse by how bad Perez was. Once that was corrected with substitutions we turned up and were able to create what was needed to get the win. 

We were there for the taking in the first hour and Palace paid the price for not being able to get a shot on target.

Seemed like to me Rafa knew how to play against us. Zaha, Schlupp and Townsend have the pace to really hit teams on the counter so sit back, let them have posession, but don't let them get past the defence. If every team does it we could be in real trouble.

Rafa is really showing his worth here at the moment. We look so organised, difficult to beat and that is such a rare thing for us over the last few years.

I'm not getting carried away, two winnable games up next, but each game at a time and keep racking up the points to 40 before we start looking elsewhere.

30 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Seemed like to me Rafa knew how to play against us. Zaha, Schlupp and Townsend have the pace to really hit teams on the counter so sit back, let them have posession, but don't let them get past the defence. If every team does it we could be in real trouble.

Defence comes first every game for us. Most teams have possession but so far Rafa knows how to ensure teams can't turn possession into real chances. Today attacking wise we were worse than usual. We tend to create more chances than the opposition despite having less possession, but for an hour today we were dross.

Look at the difference between Benitez and McClaren on this chart 

• Subscriber

Did not see us winning that game even despite Swansea's abysmal home record. Thought we were the better side for sure, actually played some really tidy football in the first half, kept the ball a lot better than we have been doing and could've definitely gone in further ahead.

I thought we were worth the win today. I don't think Appleton being our next manager even merits any kind of discussion but today showed that maybe he's got some use as a coach. Iborra ran the game, Okazaki had one of his best games for us, Mahrez and Ndidi played well also.

In-fact I think the whole team played well. Still think there are big issues surrounding the club but I suppose today proved that we do have the tools to play better than we have been. We now go into in my opinion, three very winnable games in Leeds, Everton and Stoke, on a high.

Plenty of anti-Rudkin stuff today, including a banner.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I have to say that I also thought that Huddersfield would have made less than 12 points all season. This is something historic and hopefully the supermarket Premier League machine can make something out of this. 

Manchester United (without naming names) should be bloody embarrassed. That’s a joke!

Have you looked at the sides outside of the top 6? Any team who gets under 30 in this league should be utterly ashamed of themselves, even Huddersfield themselves.

• Subscriber

Laughable to suggest Huddersfield could get less than 12 points. That's 2 wins, 6 draws and 30 defeats, for example. Like Dan says, when there's teams like Palace, Swansea and Everton about you would struggle to have a season like that even if you tried.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Dan said:

Did not see us winning that game even despite Swansea's abysmal home record. Thought we were the better side for sure, actually played some really tidy football in the first half, kept the ball a lot better than we have been doing and could've definitely gone in further ahead.

I thought we were worth the win today. I don't think Appleton being our next manager even merits any kind of discussion but today showed that maybe he's got some use as a coach. Iborra ran the game, Okazaki had one of his best games for us, Mahrez and Ndidi played well also.

In-fact I think the whole team played well. Still think there are big issues surrounding the club but I suppose today proved that we do have the tools to play better than we have been. We now go into in my opinion, three very winnable games in Leeds, Everton and Stoke, on a high.

Plenty of anti-Rudkin stuff today, including a banner.

and he was there in person to see it :D. Beautiful stuff. 

9 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

No wins in 8 games (all competitions) for West Brom and their next 4 games are Man City (h), Huddersfield (a), Chelsea (h), Tottenham (a)

People rave about Tony Pulis doing this and that, okay he can set up a defence and make teams difficult to break down but I wouldn't have him up here under any circumstances. He's a fucking shithouse.

1 hour ago, Toony said:

People rave about Tony Pulis doing this and that, okay he can set up a defence and make teams difficult to break down but I wouldn't have him up here under any circumstances. He's a fucking shithouse.

He's also a twat of a human. Not going to think twice about him when he finally retires.

It would be typical for Everton to stop being shit today. I remember when Koeman was at Southampton and they were in disastrous form, they decided to turn us over 4-0 and this Everton side has more talent in it and Rooney usually always scores against us. A win away to Everton would be great, however poorly they're playing at the moment. 

• Subscriber

Interesting day today. First you've got the who can be the biggest embarrassment derby between Arsenal and Everton, then you've got the actually decent teams derby between Liverpool and Tottenham.

I expect us to have decent phases against Arsenal but find a way to lose. Liverpool have a good chance at Wembley but I think Spurs will bring enough to the table to make it a draw.

• Subscriber

Glad to see Kenny playing and Gueye over Schneiderlin though that's probably only because of injury rather than Ronald realising Morgan has been a liability all season.

Williams, eugh. 

One winger, eugh.

Everton, eugh. 

• The title was changed to Matchday Chat - 28-30th October 2017
  • The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived