talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Magazines

football forum

• Subscriber

Was just wondering what magazines do people of TF365 read, if any at all. Do you subscribe to any, whether print or digital, news or hobbies or special interests? Or do you exclusively read free stuff on the internet only? 

I've always loved magazines; it's great to be able to read something interesting on paper over the lunch or so, but due to current circumstances, I am forced to get digital versions mostly.

I know @Cannabis still subscribes to NatGeo ^_^ 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
football forum

Sat in work on the phone to Tesco and decided to flick through TF365, burst out laughing at your post @Stan you cunt xD

As for the thread, I still subscribe to National Geo @nudge. Absolutely love it although I'll admit I struggle to find time to read it cover to cover. 90% of the articles interest me and the photography is stunning. 

In my youth I subscribed to the likes of Kerrang! (Rock Magazine) and Shoot! (Football Magazine) but haven't bought either in years. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Sat in work on the phone to Tesco and decided to flick through TF365, burst out laughing at your post @Stan you cunt xD

As for the thread, I still subscribe to National Geo @nudge. Absolutely love it although I'll admit I struggle to find time to read it cover to cover. 90% of the articles interest me and the photography is stunning. 

In my youth I subscribed to the likes of Kerrang! (Rock Magazine) and Shoot! (Football Magazine) but haven't bought either in years. 

:D:D

I used to buy Kerrang religiously at my old job. 16, a receptionist at local Land Rover car showroom, every Saturday, 8-5pm. Would be busy in mornings, go dead at 12pm. Have lunch at 12.30. Would go to Tesco, get lunch, get Kerrang. Go through it for a couple of hours taking the odd phone call and then watch Soccer Saturday at 3pm for a couple of hours til I finished. Literally got paid to read my favourite magazine and watch football xD. Also not bought it since I finished that job in 2009 though! 

• Subscriber

Haven't read Nat Geo for years; used to buy it regularly in the past though. It felt like the quality of the articles was somewhat declining over time while the price increased quite dramatically. Will probably give it a go again soon, as I'm looking for new stuff to read away from computer, and I barely have time for books anymore, unfortunately. The only magazines that I regularly read now are Southeast Asia Globe (to keep in touch with the regional news and events) and Racecar Engineering. I'd pick some others too every once in a while, like Kicker, fotoMAGAZIN or one of the science/nature/history mags to flip through. What annoys me most about magazines today is the amount of full-page ads, it's ridiculous.

I occasionally buy Nat Geo when I have a long plane or train trip ahead. When I was still in college I also read football and gaming magazines, but it's been years since I read one of those.

For a while I collected underground music fanzines (mainly metal ones). It's a scene in and of itself, and you usually buy directly from the people who created it, so it makes for some interesting conversations. Sadly, there isn't too much quality out there and I barely keep up with music anyway, so now I'll just buy the odd one that looks like it has a bit of quality to it.

Used to get huge amounts of football magazines, United!, Shoot, FourFourTwo(Uk and Oz). Others I may have forgotten. I threw most of them out a few years back (if not all).
I also used to love buying Metal Hammer. Nowadays, I have online newsletters from my union and a few teaching sites that is about it...

• 1 month later...
Just now, SirBalon said:

Love Nat Geo and various other magazines in that genre. History and Mystery is the stuff I adore. 

I enjoy how it isn't politicised but poised to merely present the facts as we know it; no hypothesising or supposing.

Just now, Spike said:

I enjoy how it isn't politicised but poised to merely present the facts as we know it; no hypothesising or supposing.

Definitely one of the only mainstream magazines with gravitas.

They really do an amazing job and their web of associates is just immense. 

Haven't got one for ages. I think the last time I did, it may have been one of those Nuts or Zoo mag's a few years ago now but they wear thin.

The only magazine I regularly collected was a dinosaur one as a nipper. Each magazine came with a part to build a dinosaur skeleton and then the shell of the body around it.

Fair to say they definitely saw my parents coming at £1.50 a mag.

I used to love magazines as a kid, fishing, hip hop or football ones. But I don't bother these days as you have the internet to find out all you need in this day and age.

I am subscribed to Carpology magazine, but the only reason I subscribed to them for 6 months is because for 35 quid, you got 6 months worth of magazines, then £35 worth of good quality end tackle and about £70 worth of top quality bait free. Brilliant deal. I haven't read any of the 3 magazines they have sent yet so far but all the bait that I got for free will do me well for next year.

A tend to buy magazine only in airports or on special occasision (like Alabama winning the National Championship, or when the White Sox won the World Series, Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup...)

I also bought all the major magazines when Obama was first elected. Figured they might be worth something one day.

• Subscriber

I realise that magazines and newspapers are getting obsolete, but damn, as someone who spends all day working in front of a screen, I really don't want to stare at a screen again for recreational reading, so I prefer printed media. Internet is great for finding and "scanning" information quickly and keeping up with breaking news and stuff, but for me, it's just not the same experience. It's one of the reasons I could never get into e-books as well (yes, I tried kindle and other e-book readers, it still doesn't work for me). I still read them from time to time as my options of buying actual printed books/magazines here are rather limited, but I find it much less rewarding, to say the least. 

29 minutes ago, nudge said:

I realise that magazines and newspapers are getting obsolete, but damn, as someone who spends all day working in front of a screen, I really don't want to stare at a screen again for recreational reading, so I prefer printed media. Internet is great for finding and "scanning" information quickly and keeping up with breaking news and stuff, but for me, it's just not the same experience. It's one of the reasons I could never get into e-books as well (yes, I tried kindle and other e-book readers, it still doesn't work for me). I still read them from time to time as my options of buying actual printed books/magazines here are rather limited, but I find it much less rewarding, to say the least. 

I also can't do e-readers. Something about holding a book just makes it more enjoyable to me. Maybe it's the screen time like you mention.

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

I also can't do e-readers. Something about holding a book just makes it more enjoyable to me. Maybe it's the screen time like you mention.

Nah, it's just part of it, at least for me anyway. I've tried ebook readers long before I was spending most of the day in front of the screen, and it still didn't work for me. Something about not being able to fully focus and immerse into it, I don't know, it's just a completely different, unrewarding experience. I like holding a book in my hands, flipping through the pages with no other distractions, I like feeling the texture, and hell, even the smell of a book. Can't get any of that from an e-reader, it feels similar to using an ATM.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Nah, it's just part of it, at least for me anyway. I've tried ebook readers long before I was spending most of the day in front of the screen, and it still didn't work for me. Something about not being able to fully focus and immerse into it, I don't know, it's just a completely different, unrewarding experience. I like holding a book in my hands, flipping through the pages with no other distractions, I like feeling the texture, and hell, even the smell of a book. Can't get any of that from an e-reader, it feels similar to using an ATM.

Thank god I'm not the only person who enjoys the smell of books.

I don't like Mass Market paperbacks, I perfect just regular paperbacks, and even the odd Hardcover.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Thank god I'm not the only person who enjoys the smell of books.

I don't like Mass Market paperbacks, I perfect just regular paperbacks, and even the odd Hardcover.

Paperbacks FTW! :D 

Archived