The better place to talk football.

Magazines

football forum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

I saw a magazine in Tesco today specifically for Serial Killers xD or it might have been for people into crime stories, either or, looked to be marketed to the serial killer though O.o

I wouldn't be surprised, there seems to be hobby magazines for everything :ph34r:xD 

I mean, if this exists as a niche magazine, then why not the serial killer one...

girls-and-corpses.jpg

xD 

What in the fuck is this Girls & Corpses magazine?

I'm subscribed to a guitar magazine - Premium Guitar. It's mostly ads, some gear reviews - which I always like reading even if I'm not going to buy anything, and then guitarist interviews, album reviews and/or discussion, tabs, usually some form of technique lesson or something about setting up the guitar or shit like that. Good mindless reading if you like guitars.

On 1/2/2018 at 4:00 PM, nudge said:

I wouldn't be surprised, there seems to be hobby magazines for everything :ph34r:xD 

I mean, if this exists as a niche magazine, then why not the serial killer one...

girls-and-corpses.jpg

xD 

Just when you think you have seen all there is to see.... I suppose its Goths that are buying this weird stuff, if its even real that is

I'm quite surprised to see that none of our British members read 'When Saturday Comes', as it's a class football magazine that:

- Is full of well-written, interesting articles on all sorts of topics within football

- Gives extensive coverage to British clubs outside of Sky's top 6

Genuinely an entertaining read - I started reading a few years ago if I was ever at a WHSmith's in a train station/airport and got myself a subscription last year. 

Maybe I'm just a bitter Wanderer who has hit middle age prematurely but I find it's one of very few impartial and funny football publications out there. 

Oh, and Private Eye is wonderful too. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

I'm quite surprised to see that none of our British members read 'When Saturday Comes', as it's a class football magazine that:

- Is full of well-written, interesting articles on all sorts of topics within football

- Gives extensive coverage to British clubs outside of Sky's top 6

Genuinely an entertaining read - I started reading a few years ago if I was ever at a WHSmith's in a train station/airport and got myself a subscription last year. 

Maybe I'm just a bitter Wanderer who has hit middle age prematurely but I find it's one of very few impartial and funny football publications out there. 

Oh, and Private Eye is wonderful too. 

I don't think I've ever seen it or heard of it. It's always FourFourTwo or that kiddies' magazine (Match?)

Just now, RandoEFC said:

I don't think I've ever seen it or heard of it. It's always FourFourTwo or that kiddies' magazine (Match?)

Keep your eyes peeled, it's well worth £3 a month. Admittedly it's not on every corner shop's magazine stand. 

WHS is the only place I see it with any regularity (I'm not working on commission, honest!!)

• Subscriber

Enough with all the smut xD

I've had a subscription for a Canadian company Photo Life for the passed 6 years, they put out 6 a year. Really love getting the physical copies to enjoy the pictures and articles. I got turned onto it by an old teacher when i took a night school course to refresh my lack of skills in photography years ago. Anyways its great; they have spotlights on specific photographers, tips and tricks, reviews of hardware and contests. 

https://www.photolife.com/

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What in the fuck is this Girls & Corpses magazine?

I'm subscribed to a guitar magazine - Premium Guitar. It's mostly ads, some gear reviews - which I always like reading even if I'm not going to buy anything, and then guitarist interviews, album reviews and/or discussion, tabs, usually some form of technique lesson or something about setting up the guitar or shit like that. Good mindless reading if you like guitars.

18 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Just when you think you have seen all there is to see.... I suppose its Goths that are buying this weird stuff, if its even real that is

It is real, and apparently it is a horror-comedy magazine parodying Maxim, Cosmopolitan and other trash "lifestyle" magazines, haha. I still don't know who buys it though xD 

22 minutes ago, nudge said:

It is real, and apparently it is a horror-comedy magazine parodying Maxim, Cosmopolitan and other trash "lifestyle" magazines, haha. I still don't know who buys it though xD 

Well whoever they are I bet they are not browsing through them on a main line station like Waterloo or in an Airport waiting lounge... xD

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Enough with all the smut xD

I've had a subscription for a Canadian company Photo Life for the passed 6 years, they put out 6 a year. Really love getting the physical copies to enjoy the pictures and articles. I got turned onto it by an old teacher when i took a night school course to refresh my lack of skills in photography years ago. Anyways its great; they have spotlights on specific photographers, tips and tricks, reviews of hardware and contests. 

https://www.photolife.com/

There are plenty of photography-related magazines out there, yet it's so hard to find a good one... The majority just focus on gear reviews, which is not really what I'm looking for, as it feels like reading advertisements rather than articles... Others are either too artsy, too much into post-processing, or just not really useful. My favourite one so far is Nature Photographer (it's also Canadian, btw!), I can only get digital copies of course, which sucks, but the magazine itself is really great. Only 3 issues a year (Spring - Summer - Fall/Winter), few ads, amazing photographs.

I will check Photolife out, thanks for sharing!

There really are some weird ones out there... These ones made me laugh

Funny Photos, Weird Magazines

Funny Photos, Weird Magazines

What on earth would people make of you if you had a big stack of these by the door when they walked in or scattered across living room table... Given the subject matter as well how do they keep afloat each month??

Maybe they have a Potato Carving special every other month running alongside 'Readers funny shaped Potato Gallery' that keeps people coming back I don't know... Still better though than getting caught flicking through the 'Corpse Bride Special' I suppose... 

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, nudge said:

There are plenty of photography-related magazines out there, yet it's so hard to find a good one... The majority just focus on gear reviews, which is not really what I'm looking for, as it feels like reading advertisements rather than articles... Others are either too artsy, too much into post-processing, or just not really useful. My favourite one so far is Nature Photographer (it's also Canadian, btw!), I can only get digital copies of course, which sucks, but the magazine itself is really great. Only 3 issues a year (Spring - Summer - Fall/Winter), few ads, amazing photographs.

I will check Photolife out, thanks for sharing!

Cheers, ill check that one out too, im most interested in wildlife and nature photography anywho. I know what you mean though it seemed somewhat difficult to find out not loaded with adds.

• Subscriber

I can understand the reasoning behind that Potato magazine, it's a very niche industry-specific one, but certainly there are enough people in agriculture who could be interested in it. That fencepost one though... No idea xD 

22 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Did anyone get the Real Robots magazine about 20 years ago where you got the pieces every week to build this?

cybot.jpg

Bet you had to buy a fair few issues for that to be complete... Can't say I have ever seen that, I am only on issue 612 of build your own Matchstick City.. It comes with a free box of Matches sellotaped on the front of each issue.. At only £4.99 an issue its a right bargain.. This month was 24 Lamp posts... next week I get the Led lights that go with them.. cant wait!! 

Just now, Bluewolf said:

Bet you had to buy a fair few issues for that to be complete... Can't say I have ever seen that, I am only on issue 612 of build your Matchstick City.. It comes with a free box of Matches sellotaped on the front of each issue.. At only £4.99 an issue its a right bargain.. This month was 24 Lamp posts... next week I get the Led lights that go with them.. cant wait!! 

You did, I don't think I made it to the end because after missing one issue that was it really. It was also about £4.99 back then 20 years ago, I don't think the father was impressed, at first he probably bought it thinking it would be educational, in the end he remortgaged the house

1 minute ago, Kitchen Sales said:

You did, I don't think I made it to the end because after missing one issue that was it really. It was also about £4.99 back then 20 years ago, I don't think the father was impressed, at first he probably bought it thinking it would be educational, in the end he remortgaged the house

My Son had something similar but it was a Blue Subaru and same thing happened to him.... I remember back then thinking what a con it all was, £5 for a cog and 2 bits of copper wire and a lifetimes subscription... I am sure the small print on the back states that completion time will be around age 74 but no bugger reads that do they... 

I do believe we have a one or two un-opened issues in the loft still and the shell of the car... might whack them on E-bay.. must be someone out there seeking closure on their project... 

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Brian Cox is an absolute legend.

He speaks with so much calmness and assertiveness at the same time and I always love hearing what he has to say. The Stargazing programme he does with Dara O'Briain blows my mind every time. 

• Subscriber

Brian Cox is probably the only celebrity-scientist that I like. Not a fan of Michio Kaku and can't stand deGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye and Richard Dawkins.

On 1/2/2018 at 15:51, Kitchen Sales said:

I saw a magazine in Tesco today specifically for Serial Killers xD or it might have been for people into crime stories, either or, looked to be marketed to the serial killer though O.o

Was it one of these ones??? 

serial-killer-magazine

Archived