The better place to talk football.

Animals

football forum

• Subscriber

Study reveals the wolf within your pet dog

By Helen Briggs

BBC News, Science and Environment

download.thumb.png.5eb0e82475853d1f31741615687862f3.png

Wolves lead and dogs follow - but both are equally capable of working with humans, according to research that adds a new twist in the tale of how one was domesticated from the other.

Dogs owe their cooperative nature to "the wolf within", the study, of cubs raised alongside people, suggests.

But in the course of domestication, those that were submissive to humans were selected for breeding, which makes them the better pet today.

828855975_download(1).thumb.png.76b5c9ef2b2273a22706f169444e9ef4.png

1873918828_download(2).thumb.png.43219e2fa3ecac825713d3d7ce9d1bb9.png

Grey wolves, at the Wolf Science Center in Vienna, were just as good as dogs at working with their trainers to drag a tray of food towards them by each taking one end of a rope.

But, unlike the dogs in the study, they were willing to try their own tactics as well - such as stealing the rope from the trainer.

'Friederike Range, from the Konrad Lorenz Institute, at Vetmeduni Vienna university, said: "It shows that, while wolves tend to initiate behaviour and take the lead, dogs are more likely to wait and see what the human partner does and follow that behaviour."

About 30,000 years ago, wolves moved to the edges of human camps to scavenge for leftovers.

The subsequent "taming" process of domestication and selective breeding then slowly began to alter their behaviour and genes and they eventually evolved into the dogs that we know today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47568893

Edited by CaaC - John
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2019 at 05:08, Azeem said:

Japan has hunted 333 whales from December to February in the North Pacific ! crazy 

Hate reading shit like that... no common sense left in the world at all... not until it's pretty much all gone will it be way to late to save it

• Subscriber

Wolves return to the Netherlands after 140 years

a.thumb.png.c00eebafd7f01408e851548541bf1a2a.png

The Netherlands has its first resident wolf population in 140 years, according to ecologists.

Wolves were hunted out of many European countries over a century ago but have gradually been migrating back across the continental mainland.

Occasional wolf sightings have been made in the Netherlands since 2015.

But these animals were previously thought to be animals that had crossed over temporarily from Germany and would subsequently return there.

Ecologists from campaign groups FreeNature and Wolven in Nederland have been tracking two females in the Veluwe area, collecting wolf prints and scat (droppings) from which they can identify DNA.

"It's like Tinder," said ecologist Mirte Kruit, "it can say if it's a male or female, are they single and looking for a mate and [tell you] about their family."

They've told BBC Radio 4's Costing the Earth that their data now confirms one of the females has stayed continuously for six months and can now be considered "established".

A male has also been seen in the area so the first Dutch wolf pack could be months away. They are still collecting data on the second female.

Controversial return

Wolves are controversial, however. In France, since returning from Italy in 1992, their population has grown rapidly and sheep and goat farmers say they're suffering rising attacks, with around 12,000 incidents reported.

Farmers can receive compensation if they have protection measures in place, like electric fences or guard dogs, but many are still angry about the damage caused to the flock.

The French Government formed a cohabitation plan and in February last year set a target wolf population of 500 by 2023. However its thought this number may be reached or surpassed by this Winter and it's proposing to increase the cull rate from 12% to 17% if that's confirmed.

Wolves are protected under the Berne convention and can only be killed under specific circumstances.

Costing the Earth presenter Tom Heap travelled to Alpes de Haute Provence to meet some of those affected. The region has 22 wolf packs - the largest of any region - and last year the region saw 700 attacks.

Farmer Simon Merveille said he witnessed one of his goats being eaten by wolves.

"I was astonished because when I fired a warning shot they just stayed looking at me - they did not leave," he explained.

Mr Merveille is happy for wolves to remain in France but believes farmers must be allowed to kill them when they attack livestock.

Andre Maurelle and Ingrid Briclot, who also farm in the region, saw three wolves killing five of their sheep and taking a sixth.

They have now installed 12km of electric fences and have an apprentice shepherd, Mady, who is used to guarding cattle from lions and snakes in Mali.

"We have to learn to cohabit," said Mr Maurelle.

Back in Holland, Wolven in Nederland have been working since 2008 to prepare the Dutch people for this very moment - the return of the wolf to the country.

Ecologist Roeland Vermeulen says settled wolves are more likely to eat deer or wild boar. Sheep, on the other hand, are "like junk food", taken by roaming wolves or those less experienced at hunting.

He thinks the Netherlands has room for 22 packs - each of 5-8 wolves. Whether the country can learn from others and find a suitable balance will become apparent in the years to come.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47838162

• Like 1

• Subscriber

The guy from the bird sanctuary back again in the square here in Leith, Edinburgh, donations are welcome so me and the wife normally throw a couple of quid in the bucket provided, he has some beautiful birds on show and the first photo I call 'Old Faithful' an owl he always brings and has been for the last 2 years or so.

20190405_113526.jpg.42f619a41b0c82c932a9c5fbbc912558.jpg

20190405_113533.jpg.8644435f3c5de4af34da6dbf0e056760.jpg

Edited by CaaC - John
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Stan said:

It's a fake Stan... The internet is getting on my nerves with all these fake photshop pictures people are sticking up just for likes.. attention seeking mother fuckers.. let's not worry about the truth of things as long as people feel popular..

In other more worthy news though they have found a Mermaid Skeleton in Bulgaria.. WOW!!!! totally believable, I knew they existed and now we have the proof... 

Photograph shows a mermaid skeleton found in Bulgaria?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Why are you so mean these days @Bluewolf :( 

Do you think so??? I must be in a negative writing phase or something, like a mid life crisis only in written form, might explain why my stories are totally sad, depressing and unfunny.... I don't know what to say mate...  I should have been more unselfish and just given it a like.. would you have preferred that??? I always thought you were a seeker of truth like myself.. 

My apologies... 

Anyway if you don't mind I am looking into this exciting new find on the moon it's a very interesting read.. A Mind Boggling Mystery indeed!!! 

bomber_moon.jpg

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Haha 1

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Do you think so??? I must be in a negative writing phase or something, like a mid life crisis only in written form, might explain why my stories are totally sad, depressing and unfunny.... I don't know what to say mate...  I should have been more unselfish and just given it a like.. would you have preferred that??? I always thought you were a seeker of truth like myself.. 

My apologies... 

Anyway if you don't mind I am looking into this exciting new find on the moon it's a very interesting read.. A Mind Boggling Mystery indeed!!! 

bomber_moon.jpg

Looks legit to me. 

That big crate at the bottom of the picture though, on the other hand...