talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Animals

football forum

• Subscriber

190482934_10224504794503232_8606152466347778388_n.thumb.jpg.7ab6d1ad9e92b7045742925ee27b7157.jpg

That Monday morning feeling: The Comedy Wildlife Awards 2021

Best entries so far from The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2021.

The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2021 has just published a selection of its top entries for this year's awards, including a pouting boxfish from Curaçao and a laughing lion from Tanzania.

Now in its seventh year, the Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards has already received thousands of entries from around the world, catching some of wildlife’s funniest moments on camera. This year, the competition organisers are releasing some of the shots that have already had them howling like hyenas, to inspire both professional and amateur photographers to enter their own images before 30 June 2021.

We bring you some of our favourites.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

download.thumb.png.ed8b1f5db8086b78de3305a17114a627.png

In photos: How glow-in-the-dark animals use the language of light

It's not just fireflies that can create light: there are fish and even mammals that can do the same.

A few years ago, scientists believed only a tiny band of creatures could emit light. But a string of new discoveries has illuminated a wider world of glow-in-the-dark life forms.

Tasmanian Devil

3f8cdf92-e73c-4077-8617-579c3de29730.thumb.png.2f8e3c16768de3402e9c1c7ec8c1bfba.png

FULL REPORT - PICTURES

• Subscriber

Gulp!!!! :o  xD

Humpback whale gulps and spits out Cape Cod lobsterman

Michael Packard says he was diving when he ended up in the marine giant's mouth for about 30-40 seconds off Provincetown, Massachusetts.

The leviathan spat him out and Mr Packard was left with nothing more than a suspected dislocated knee.

Despite his wife's pleas to get another job, he has no plans of giving up a 40-year career diving off Cape Cod.

Humpback whales can grow to as long as 50ft (15m) and weigh about 36 tons. According to the World Wildlife Fund, their global population is about 60,000.

Mr Packard, 56, told the Cape Cod Times he and his crewmate took their boat, the Ja'n J, off Herring Cove on Friday morning where conditions were excellent, with water visibility at about 20ft.

He told WBZ-TV News that after jumping off the vessel in scuba gear into the water, he "felt this huge bump and everything went dark".

'He's trying to swallow me'

He thought he had been attacked by one of the great white sharks that swim in the area, "and then I felt around and I realised there was no teeth".

"And then I realised: 'Oh my God, I'm in a whale's mouth and he's trying to swallow me. This is it, I'm going die'."

Mr Packard says he thought about his wife and two boys, aged 12 and 15.

"Then all of a sudden he went up to the surface and just erupted and started shaking his head.

"I just got thrown in the air and landed in the water. I was free and I just floated there. I couldn't believe it… I'm here to tell it."

His topside crewmate, who had been desperately scanning the water for telltale bubbles from Mr Packard's oxygen respirator, hauled him back into the boat.

Provincetown Fire Department confirmed to CBS News they had responded to a call at 08:15 local time (12:15 GMT) to help an injured lobsterman at a Provincetown beach.

Journalists interviewed Mr Packard about his Biblical ordeal after he was discharged from Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis.

Humpback whales tend to feed by opening their mouth wide to gulp down as much prey, like fish or krill, as possible, leading marine scientists to speculate that what happened to Mr Packard was in all likelihood purely accidental. One expert told the Cape Cod Times it was practically unheard of for a whale to swallow a human.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57450685

• Wow 1

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Love this.

That said, whenever I'm visiting any zoo, I always feel very uneasy seeing the great apes there. I know that a lot of zoos are a good thing in terms of wildlife conservation etc. and they also take good care of the animals, but it just feels insanely wrong to have those intelligent, human-like apes having to spend their lives locked up and constantly observed. Same applies to every animal, but the great apes hit especially close to home.

• Upvote 2

As part of my Zoo Management qualifications we had to watch some pretty fucked up shit, breaks your heart.

Agree with @nudge too, on the whole zoos are fantastic and the pros very much outweigh the cons, but there are some animals where an exhibit no matter how large or enriched will never be enough. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

Brilliant, these animals are more intelligent than the animals called human beings with brains in their feet who run around knifing people and what not.

I am not one for zoo's I am afraid and the last time I went to a zoo was when I was in the PTA at the primary school when our son & daughter were wee nippers, their school, and I helped out when they arranged the the school to go for a visit to Edinburgh Zoo.

When you see wild animals in glass enclosurs just staring at us humans breaks my heart as their freedom of movement is around a grass field no bigger than a football pitch. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Brilliant, these animals are more intelligent than the animals called human beings with brains in their feet who run around knifing people and what not.

tenor.gif

I'll be visiting a Zoo next week for the first time in like 20 years. Not a fan of Zoos, but this one seems nice. And I just want to see something else for a change in times where traveling etc. is not 100% safe yet. 😬

1 hour ago, Khan of TF365 said:

These crows have been dive-bombing me for the past few days. There are two paths for my daily pedestrian commute from my house and they chase me on both. 

I know they remember faces but they must be mistaken me for someone else.

It could be because they have a nest near by.... 

• Upvote 2

Visited a Zoo today, and I felt really sorry for this Chimp. She just looked sad and deflated. I later read that she was once used for "Holiday on Ice" in the late 70's/Early 80's. So they made her skate on ice and whatnot. Her name is Lady. 

100_1060.JPG

100_1064.JPG

• Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

download.png

VIDEO

Paddle boarder's close encounter with two curious whales

A drone has captured the moment when a paddle boarder had a close encounter with two curious whales in Argentina.

Analia Giorgetti, who was out on the water on her birthday, says it was "privilege" and a "magical moment".

By chance, it was caught on camera by a local photographer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-latin-america-58430264