talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Animals

football forum

• Subscriber

GettyImages-80488464-crop-f925050.webp

Aesop’s fables: The science behind what the stories got wrong

The sly fox, the stubborn donkey... Many of our ideas about animal behaviour come from Aesop's fables. But how many are really accurate?

The wolf in sheep’s clothing. The tortoise and the hare. These are among the most recognisable of Aesop’s fables, a collection said to have been conceived by a slave some 2,500 years ago to communicate moral messages to the ancient Greeks. Remarkably, Aesop’s fables are still enjoyed around the world and we even refer to their morals in our day-to-day language: think ‘slow and steady wins the race’, ‘sour grapes’ or ‘honesty is the best policy’

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber

Get voting, I will vote for Popeye xD

Fat Bear Week is here and it’s full of chunky Ursidae

Vote on unbearably cute bears – and learn about how bears and salmon shape their ecosystem.

download.png

On the northern Alaskan Peninsula, thousands of brown bears have busily spent the last few weeks gorging themselves on salmon to fatten up and survive the winter. Unbeknown to them, the entire world is watching with a burning question – who will be crowned the Fat Bear Week Champion 2021?

Over the next seven days, the chubbiest bears in Katmai National Park and Preserve will be pitted against each other in a series of knockout rounds. The public can vote online, using any criteria they see fit – such as weight, age, cuteness, or other circumstances – and then next week, a single bear will remain standing.

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Cats are useless literally of no use when I say this the only response of people is they are cute fluffy companions.

I'm also cute and handsome and a great listener but they'll kick me out if I stop working.

Thread - Your Mental Image of Other Members

download (1).png

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Scary!

I think the ocean is probably one of the scariest places to be especially when it's just deep blue in every direction you look... I would be worried something would come rushing out of nowhere and gobble me up... I could never relax... wreck diving and the like wouldn't be so bad because at least you can see the ocean floor... B| 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I think the ocean is probably one of the scariest places to be especially when it's just deep blue in every direction you look... I would be worried something would come rushing out of nowhere and gobble me up... I could never relax... wreck diving and the like wouldn't be so bad because at least you can see the ocean floor... B| 

Yeah, until you get surprised by some deep sea monster hiding in the wreck... xD Or hear the call of Cthulhu...  

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

No insect thread, so.........

Bug battle cries: Bees vs murder hornets

What do bees sound like when they scream for danger? Surprisingly similar to mammals, a new study finds.

1280px-Vespa_soror_-_Khao_Yai_National_Park_10915841495-1200-wikimedia-commons.jpg

Eastern, or Asian, honey bees (Apis cerana) – increasingly recognised as remarkably clever creatures – are known to make various sounds that appear to communicate certain messages, including ‘hisses’ and ‘stop signals’. But the newly discovered sounds, revealed today in the journal Royal Society Open Science by a team of researchers at Wellesley Collegeare unlike other sounds recorded among honeybees; they’re a unique alarm signal that appears to warn their fellow bees of a giant hornet (Vespa soror) attack.

Attacks by giant hornets in Asia can wipe out entire colonies, so an early warning system that allows the bees to defend themselves is crucial.

The new sound, which they’ve termed the “anti-predator pipe”, is a distress signal so distinctive and familiar it gave lead researcher Heather Mattila the chills when she first heard it.

“The pipes share traits in common with a lot of mammalian alarm signals, so as a mammal hearing them, there’s something that is instantly recognizable as communicating danger,” she says. “It feels like a universal experience.”

The piping sounds are made at a frenetic pace when hornets are outside the hive, and the signals are harsh and irregular, often shifting frequency abruptly; similar, the researchers say, to alarm shrieks, fear screams and panic calls among primates, birds and meerkats.

The researchers note that upon the signalling of the anti-predator pipe, the bees gather in larger numbers towards the entrance and start taking defensive actions, including spreading animal dung around the colony entrances to repel the hornets (the first documented use of tools by bees), and forming kamikaze-esque bee balls to kill attacking hornets collectively.

Mattila and team have been studying the interactions between Asian honey bees and their giant hornet adversaries for over seven years, capturing audio and video recordings. Their recordings of hives under attack were eight times louder in chatter than hives in times of relative calm and quiet.

“[Bees] are constantly communicating with each other, in both good times and in bad, but antipredator signal exchange is particularly important during dire moments when rallying workers for colony defense is imperative,” the researchers write in their paper.

“This research shows how amazingly complex signals produced by Asian hive bees can be,” says Gard Otis, a colleague of Mattila’s and a professor emeritus in the School of Environmental Sciences within the University of Guelph’s Ontario Agricultural College. “We feel like we have only grazed the surface of understanding their communication. There’s a lot more to be learned.”

https://cosmosmagazine.com/nature/animals/bug-battle-cries-bees-vs-murder-hornets/

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

No insect thread, so.........

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Insects are animals too, John :D

I know but some people can ask "But...thats an insect, not an animal?..." or "Thats a whale not a fish?...O.o

so........... :D

Are Insects Animals?

Something that bothers me as a naturalist and biology enthusiast is when people are confused about the classification of animals, for example, is a spider an insect? Or is a whale a fish? These aren’t bad questions exactly, but you have to wonder when people are unsure if an insect is an animal at all, which is something I see occasionally on the internet.

I think the question of whether an insect is an animal comes from confusion over the definition of words like animal and mammal, with some people apparently believing that they are interchangeable. In this view, only mammals are animals. Whatever everything else is, I’m not sure. So what is an animal, a mammal, an insect etc., and how are they different?

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Whales are not fish, they are mammals :ph34r:

I know, it's in the report I attached xD

It is an interesting topic though and when I was a young man or wee nipper I would say to a teacher the latter above mentioned or other topics.

"But what about insects? Insects are also animals, but they then diverge from humans and are classified as arthropods (which means jointed legs) and then hexapods (which means six legs). The defining traits of insects are having six legs, an exoskeleton covering the body, and an adult body with three segments (the head, thorax, and abdomen). Most insects also have wings, but not all of them. So there you go, insects are animals, and they form a group called a class within the kingdom Animalia."

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

20211114_160326.jpg

You wonder why the 'King of the Jungle' the lion is not amongst that lot but then you look at the size of an Elephant & Hippo and you sort of guess why, I have seen videos of lions hunting in packs attacking Hippos, Lions or even Rhinos but never really successful and come out on top unless the latter was injured or ill, even a Giraffe with a long neck can kill an animal with the swipe of its neck or kicking its feet.