What is a "real fan"?

football forum

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

And?

What do you offer!

I offer a much more open view of the way people supper clubs. I don't blow a blood vain because some said they "support" Manchester United.

2 hours ago, Any O'Brien said:

I don't see how it's embarrassing. I'd rather read this thread than a thread where people are using Google translate to talk a load of old bollocks in a language they can't speak.

Who does that?

20 hours ago, Spike said:

What about people that can't afford tickets?

Sadly the case for many locals now. People from outside the area with their glory seeking drive up prices and force out people the club were actually formed for. There’s still a local core support at most clubs but it’s dimishing at some of the bigger clubs.

18 hours ago, SirBalon said:

What? O.o

You’re not well mate. Hahaha

To be fair, its hard to understand my english when yours is on par with Shakespeare's.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Sadly the case for many locals now. People from outside the area with their glory seeking drive up prices and force out people the club were actually formed for. There’s still a local core support at most clubs but it’s dimishing at some of the bigger clubs.

But how do you know that the club was formed for strictly those from the local area? There are clubs like Inter that were formed with an idea that anyone can enjoy or play for them.

Chelsea for instance were formed because Stamford Bridge was built and Fulham didnt want to play there. Hardly fits your criteria.

AC Milan was cricket and football club for englishmen living in milan

I think Atletico Madrid was formed by Basque students in Madrid that were fed up with Bilbao

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

But how do you know that the club was formed for strictly those from the local area? There are clubs like Inter that were formed with an idea that anyone can enjoy or play for them.

Chelsea for instance were formed because Stamford Bridge was built and Fulham didnt want to play there. Hardly fits your criteria.

I think Atletico Madrid was formed by Basque students in Madrid that were fed up with Bilbao

Chelsea are a plastic club from their inception, always been about money, you're right there.

I can't really speak about clubs in other countries but across England football clubs were build from communities, social clubs built in the heart of the community. Go round the towns and cities of the country and you'll see where they're build, right in the midst of the people. Obviously things change, I'm not deluded, football is a global game and fans will come from all over. However, I'm not having some southern whopper saying they're as much a fan of Manchester United as a Mancunian, they're not and never will be. People with money think they can take everything but they can't take what football clubs in this country are inherently about, I know this board is chocker with glory fans but it's true.

15 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Chelsea are a plastic club from their inception, always been about money, you're right there.

I can't really speak about clubs in other countries but across England football clubs were build from communities, social clubs built in the heart of the community. Go round the towns and cities of the country and you'll see where they're build, right in the midst of the people. Obviously things change, I'm not deluded, football is a global game and fans will come from all over. However, I'm not having some southern whopper saying they're as much a fan of Manchester United as a Mancunian, they're not and never will be. People with money think they can take everything but they can't take what football clubs in this country are inherently about, I know this board is chocker with glory fans but it's true.

I don't disagree with you per se, but I don't believe that doesn't make them 'true fans'; it makes them different fans but it doesn't remove their sincerity. I've already mentioned in the past my opinion on the differences between locals v outsiders but I don't think one is better than the other but one is definitely more important and that being the former. For instance I don't think you are a plastic for not going to Hull games, it makes you different to the locals but in my mind a plastic is someone liable to begin supporting another team.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Blue said:

To be honest, its shocking to suggest that people from abroad don't put money into the club. Shirt sales?

yeah, i bet all those fans in Malaysia are buying official Utd kits.

19 minutes ago, Blue said:

To be honest, its shocking to suggest that people from abroad don't put money into the club. Shirt sales?

Shirt sales are fuck all mate. All the money goes to the manufacturer and the vendor.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Arsenal were formed for the Woolich locals but soon found out how ugly they are around those parts and they don’t use soap. So they moved to hip Highbury in Islington. :ph34r:

Oh... And to get on Spurs fans nerves. :x

7 hours ago, Spike said:

I don't disagree with you per se, but I don't believe that doesn't make them 'true fans'; it makes them different fans but it doesn't remove their sincerity. I've already mentioned in the past my opinion on the differences between locals v outsiders but I don't think one is better than the other but one is definitely more important and that being the former. For instance I don't think you are a plastic for not going to Hull games, it makes you different to the locals but in my mind a plastic is someone liable to begin supporting another team.

Like I have said on TFF many a time as well, when Newcastle win and you leave the ground you can feel the buzz around the place, you go in the bars and everyone is fucking delighted. Not because their football team has won, but because the city that it represents has won and the people that it represents have won. Especially big games, Derby games and the like. It is so much more than the 90 minute Football match.

I stated on the last page that I am past the stage where I used to discredit people's reasons for supporting a team and labelling everyone plastic, but I will never understand how anyone can claim to love a football club, or care to the extent as mentioned above.

You can't buy that and you can't ever feel like that unless you simply are born into it I feel. 

3 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

Like I have said on TFF many a time as well, when Newcastle win and you leave the ground you can feel the buzz around the place, you go in the bars and everyone is fucking delighted. Not because their football team has won, but because the city that it represents has won and the people that it represents have won.

I stated on the last page that I am past the stage where I used to discredit people's reasons for supporting a team and labelling everyone plastic, but I will never understand how anyone can claim to love a football club, or care to the extent as mentioned above.

You can't buy that and you can't ever feel like that unless you simply are born into it I feel. 

That is what I was saying...

When we lose (And yes I will use the fucking word "we" when talking about Liverpool) I am in bits, you can ask everybosy who knows me. My passion and love this club is as strong as somebody born and bred in the city. Us losing doesn't effect my day to day life like it does a liverpudlian but it doesn't mean they care more about the club. Don't give a shite what some of you lot say, my whole family support this team and my children will one day follow suite. Its part of my life. Always has been and always will be.

Archived