talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australian A-League

football forum

Loving life, 2 points clear at the top after 4 games and we are still missing arguably our two best players (Castro and Spiranovic). Thought Shane Lowry was amazing today as we beat the cup champions Adelaide 2-0 in their own backyard. Come on you glory boys!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Tim Cahill: Australia bid farewell to Cahill in 3-0 win over Lebanon

3 hours ago | Football

World Cup 2014: Tim Cahill nets stunning volley for Australia

Australia bid farewell to an emotional Tim Cahill as he made his 108th and final appearance in a 3-0 win against Lebanon at ANZ Stadium in Sydney.

Cahill, 38, came on in the 82nd minute after two goals from Martin Boyle and a Mathew Leckie strike had all but sealed the win for the hosts.

Despite failing to score on the night he finishes his international career as Australia's record goalscorer with 50.

"This is the only time you're going to see me cry," he said after the game.

"Every time I wore the green and gold, I played with my heart and I never left anything on the pitch. Thank you very much, Australia."

It was agreed with manager Graham Arnold that he would appear in the final stages of the friendly: "The first 85 minutes is all about our performance," Arnold told Fox Sports. "The last five minutes can be for Timmy."

Cahill's tally of 108 appearances is one behind former goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer's Australia record of 109.

The former Everton and Millwall attacking midfielder was the first Australian to score at a World Cup, in their 3-1 opening group game win against Japan in 2006.

However, it was his volley against the Netherlands in the 2014 World Cup that many believe was his best ever goal.

For Australia, it was their last friendly match at home before they begin their Asian Cup title defence in January 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46276878

Edited by CaaC - John

• Administrator

Last-second winner for Perth! 

They'd been pegged back by Central Coast each time taking the lead today but no time for them to do so again. Ikonomidis been a great signing. Surprised WSW let him go. Also means they take full advantage of Sydney dropping points as well. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Toinho said:

Unreal end to the Adelaide v Brisbane game tonight. I only saw a short clip but Mauk got sent off and knocked out at the same time. 

The one time I choose not to watch a match while I work xD 

4 hours ago, Toinho said:

World’s biggest derby today. Distance derby. Phoenix v Glory. I should be confident but I think we may draw! 

Finally have some time to watch it. COYGB!

9 hours ago, Toinho said:

We were woeful. Also, maybe worst red card decision I’ve ever seen?!

Saw up to the Krishna goal. Yeah from what I've seen we looked at our worst so far. I will say though that Sarpreet Singh is quality for his age. That kid is going to be a star for New Zealand.

Victory v Adelaide was interesting. Personally think Toivonen should’ve seen a few yellows! Was officiated horribly. 

Victory momentarily top before we knocked them off with a 1-0 win over City. Ikonomidis again. Think Curtis Good was horrible unlucky to be sent off.

• Administrator

Western Sydney go 1 up and for some reason Janjetovic decides to come up in no man's land, Le Fondre gets the ball, shoots and the keeper decides to dive while outside the box and make a save xD. Now he's sent off for handball. What an absolute tool. 

Perfect chance for Sydney FC to turn this game around. 

Perth looking awful against Sydney.

Not looking efficient up front and gifted Le Fondre his 7th goal of the season off some truly shocking corner defending. Nearing half time now but from what I've seen this has been the worst performance of the season.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Blue said:

"Ikonomidis I'd let you shag my wife"

Australian ultras are the best in the world xD

that chant (with different names) has been going on for years.

Nothing special about the 'ultras' there.

Just now, Stan said:

that chant (with different names) has been going on for years.

Nothing special about the 'ultras' there.

I know it has, but I'm pointing it out now because I've just now noticed it.

Kind of like how I loved the Bohemian Rhapsody chant when I was at Phoenix vs Sydney even though the latter had done it long before.

• Administrator

This is the worst Perth have played since last season. It's as if from the first whistle they were already scared of Sydney, despite Sydney being weaker than they were than last season. They've looked so far off the pace and not been able to attack Sydney, perhaps showing too much respect to them and not capitalising on home advantage. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

This is the worst Perth have played since last season. It's as if from the first whistle they were already scared of Sydney, despite Sydney being weaker than they were than last season. They've looked so far off the pace and not been able to attack Sydney, perhaps showing too much respect to them and not capitalising on home advantage. 

Agreed. I don't get the people who say Perth have been poor this season. They play ugly with Popovic but I wouldn't say they are bad. Today is the clear exception though, awful performance.

Turned the game off after the second goal, and Perth score 2 - one of them being disallowed. Just my luck :dam:

Lesson of the day: It's not over til the referee blows his whistle.