talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australian A-League

football forum

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Toinho said:

I'm not sure what the league gets out of a Jets v Victory final? City last night had a blatant penalty turned down as did Sydney tonight? Oh well, fair play I suppose to the scummy wankers from Melbourne. 

hope Newcastle win next week.

I couldn't get up for it, but I don't know if I was dreaming or just too tired to notice it, I woke up and immediately went to see the score and Sydney had won 2-1 in extra time. I checked later and saw Melbourne had won 3-2.

Fair play to them, Arnie has got to go now. Sure, he had the best A-League team in history last season, but what does that matter if he built an even better team the next year with Mierzejewski, Bobo and Ninkovic and couldn't put it to use? He also failed in the ACL when they were clearly good enough to get past their group. Western Sydney will continue to hold that record.

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Blue said:

I couldn't get up for it, but I don't know if I was dreaming or just too tired to notice it, I woke up and immediately went to see the score and Sydney had won 2-1 in extra time. I checked later and saw Melbourne had won 3-2.

Fair play to them, Arnie has got to go now. Sure, he had the best A-League team in history last season, but what does that matter if he built an even better team the next year with Mierzejewski, Bobo and Ninkovic and couldn't put it to use? He also failed in the ACL when they were clearly good enough to get past their group. Western Sydney will continue to hold that record.

He is going. He's going to manage Australia following the World Cup. 

15 hours ago, Stan said:

Yeah, mixed feelings about that one. Personally don't think he's up to the job. He's learnt a lot since his last Aussie stint though. 

@Blue don't forget Adelaide making the ACL final many years ago when the league was just starting. Sure they got pumped in the final but good achievement. 

On 29/4/2018 at 02:42, Stan said:

Completely forgot about that. Socceroos can begin fearing the worst I think. Average manager at best. Good team builder and that's it.

10 hours ago, Toinho said:

Yeah, mixed feelings about that one. Personally don't think he's up to the job. He's learnt a lot since his last Aussie stint though. 

@Blue don't forget Adelaide making the ACL final many years ago when the league was just starting. Sure they got pumped in the final but good achievement. 

Also forgot about Adelaide but I will counter argument to say that the runner ups are often forgotten and the winners are remembered.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Even start but Victory have the breakthrough!

Looked like an own goal but Barbarouses claiming it. 

I thought on replays that he clearly touched it, but either way its 1-0. Donachie doing his usual thing in winning the ball in the air off a set piece.

• Administrator
Just now, Blue said:

I thought on replays that he clearly touched it, but either way its 1-0. Donachie doing his usual thing in winning the ball in the air off a set piece.

yeah he had the shot but looked like Koutroumbis tapped it in for an own goal. 

• Administrator

Amazing save by Thomas to keep Victory ahead. Very good game this. Dare I say it would not have been this exciting if Sydney were in it...

Just now, Stan said:

Amazing save by Thomas to keep Victory ahead. Very good game this. Dare I say it would not have been this exciting if Sydney were in it...

Don't need to dare to say it. I agree with you at least, it allows Newcastle to be more fearless and Sydney have been slower this season despite the mostly good results.

If Sydney were in it, Newcastle would look to be conservative and counter them just like their matches this year.

I remember when I was in New Zealand, I caught one Victory game against City (was the first of their games I saw this season) and Leroy George was terrible. One of the worst players I have seen, but a few other performances and he was brilliant, not any different here as well as the top assister.

I haven't seen enough of Victory to know but he has the markings of a really inconsistent player just based off that. I think if I am right, what matters if when he chooses to perform, like today for example.

• Administrator

if anyone remembers Jerzy Dudek in 2005 Champions League final saving point blank while diving to prevent a Shevchenko shot from about 2 yards out, Lawrence Thomas just did exactly that.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Thomas is having a superb game.

Hoffmann could have done better with that though, why would he low shot it when Thomas was on the ground there?

Still have to give credit to him for the saves though.

Surprised to see Ronald Vargas is only 31 :o 

It feels forever ago that he was part of the Venezuela squad now. Actually it was, he was an important part of the 2010 qualifiers as well as some of 2014 alongside Juan Arango and Salomon Rondon.

I suspect someone at BT Sport will get fired, if not then they would of had if Jets had scored there xD

Anyways, congrats to Victory. Wrongly given goal but they took advantage of the lead and are ultimately the winners

:o

I'll be honest, as much as I am anti-VAR, I don't get the sense in blaming a goal that was before the 10th minute for a loss. VAR got it wrong, but again if Newcastle can't take advantage the rest of the game, its their own fault. If it was an 89th minute goal, OK then maybe I can understand the outrage but it was in the 9th minute. Surely Newcastle need to blame themselves despite VAR not doing its job?

Could have to do with VAR expectations just being really high to be honest.

3 hours ago, Blue said:

:o

I'll be honest, as much as I am anti-VAR, I don't get the sense in blaming a goal that was before the 10th minute for a loss. VAR got it wrong, but again if Newcastle can't take advantage the rest of the game, its their own fault. If it was an 89th minute goal, OK then maybe I can understand the outrage but it was in the 9th minute. Surely Newcastle need to blame themselves despite VAR not doing its job?

Could have to do with VAR expectations just being really high to be honest.

Couldn't disagree more and you've proven you don't know football.