talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australian A-League

football forum

We've announced Tony Popovic as our manager. Best decision the club has made in a decade or more! Very excited about this. He will bring a different culture to our messed up club, and hopefully  the likes of Keogh and Castro start pulling their weight/taking it seriously or they can go as for as I am concerned. 

Taggart left the other week which was hugely disappointing. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Back to the A-league. We have quietly been recruiting basically the former Western Sydney side under Popovic haha. 

Also, THREE of Australia's back four that won the Asian Cup in 2015 have (almost)signed for us. Spiranovic (great signing), Franjic (past it), and almost a done deal Jason Davidson (huge signing in my opinion). 

Along with Santalab, Velaphi and Mrcela things are looking interesting. 

Our defensive options so far: Neville, Franjic, Wilson(Also CM)Lowry, Grant, Djulbic, Mrcea, Spiranovic, Davidson.

youd imagine Djulbic will be released? That's a lot of defenders. I rate Lowry but looks like he won't even start. 

We need a striker to replace Taggart (Santalab will surely be used off the bench) and we need a central midfielder to help Kilkenny. 

Edited by Toinho

• Administrator

Perth making statements. Their squad needed some improvements though - Spiranovic is a good signing. Surprised Santalab left Western Sydney and you'd think he moved to play more regularly though?

I'm not convinced that squad is good enough to be honest. Playoffs should be a certainty for us this year, but the forward line still isn't good enough to compete with Sydney and the 2 Melbourne teams. Castro is good but he's past his best in my opinion. Same with Keogh. There needs to be a player who will dominate the league like Ninkovic or Mierzejewski were, and I'm not convinced what we have cuts it.

The defence is great and so is the holding midfield options but everywhere else is still the same as last season. Santalab is good but he's no Bobo. Spiranovic is a great signing though as is Davidson so its a good start but still some improvements need to be made.

Bobo and Mierzejewski have gone. Looks like Sydney are doing everything for Fernando Torres, which is a mistake in my opinion.

I have no doubt in my mind that Torres will succeed in the A-League, but I'm not convinced he will be better than Bobo and I see this as a huge emphasis on profile and marketing.

Besides, will Torres be paid by Sydney or the FFA? Similar to Tim Cahill.

• Administrator

Torres will be as good as, if not better, than Bobo. 

Gutted that Mierzejewski has gone. Surprised Sydney taken that decision. Or did they have to get rid of 2 foreigners?

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Torres will be as good as, if not better, than Bobo. 

Gutted that Mierzejewski has gone. Surprised Sydney taken that decision. Or did they have to get rid of 2 foreigners?

Its up for debate. Bobo is younger, has more legs and was quite good in Turkey before he joined Sydney. He's only 2 years younger though, for some reason I thought he was 27.

Torres hasn't had it in a while, but then again a 40 year old Del Piero did well here. Drogba who seemed totally done killed it in the MLS.

Edited by Guest

I would sincerely like to know how the A-League managed to be linked from Fernando Torres to Usain Bolt in 5 days, apparently he's signing a marquee contract! :rofl:

10 hours ago, Blue said:

I would sincerely like to know how the A-League managed to be linked from Fernando Torres to Usain Bolt in 5 days, apparently he's signing a marquee contract! :rofl:

Central Coast Mariners have Mike Phelan so perhaps that’s helped haha 

On 17/07/2018 at 16:25, Stan said:

just seen fixtures for the new season.

Melbourne derby in the first week.

Sydney derby in the second week. 

Randomly done no doubt...

May need those games to help garner some interest, especially for the shit supported Melbourne City. Should never have been a franchise. 

Glory v Chelsea on Monday. I can’t make it :( 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
  Bentleigh Greens 1 - 0 Wellington Phoenix (1 - 0)    
  10:30 After ET Brisbane Roar 0 - 1
(0 - 0)
Melbourne City  (0 - 0)    
  10:30 Finished Gold Coast Knights 0 - 1 Newcastle Jets  (0 - 1)    
  10:30 Finished  Northcote City 1 - 3 Devonport  (0 - 2)    
  11:30 Finished Hellenic Athletic 3 - 4 WS Wanderers  (1 - 2)    
  11:30 Finished Perth Glory 0 - 1 Melbourne Victory 

3 A-League teams out of the main Cup competition - Phoenix, Perth Glory, Brisbane Roar out.

4 hours ago, Stan said:

@StefBWFC @Toinho 

One player I think will have a good season for Sydney with the amount of chances they create. He's decent in the box.

I genuinely feel like someone has stabbed my mum.

A player that has given so much to this club, a true fan favourite, who has been told in no uncertain terms that he simply won't lead the line here again.

With all due respect to the Australian league, he still had so much to give in the Championship; my club hasn't had a natural finisher like ALF since Ivan Klasnic. Granted, he doesn't fit into the current manager's rough-and-tumble style but he is still a class above this move. Quotes are coming out saying it's an 'opportunity of a lifetime' for him; I'm sure it is, and on a rumoured 3x wage increase, why wouldn't he leave? 

As this forum's sole BWFC fan, I speak for the thousands of us when I say: Adam, you've been a fucking hero for us in the darkest period this club has had in over 30 years, and your efforts in the white shirt won't be forgotten. Enjoy your three years in the Aussie sunshine - you deserve it. Big love. 

• Upvote 3