talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dark

football forum

Anyone watching this? A friend recommended it to me, and the ratings look very good. A German show on Netflix. 

The disappearance of two young children in a German town brings light to the fractured relationships, double lives and past of four families living there, revealing a mystery that spans across three generations.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5753856/

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Tell me if it's any good if/when you watch it. I have it on my shortlist, but not too sure yet, as it seems to be a bit horror scifi with some jumpscares and I effing hate those haha. Mostly good reviews though, so I'm still not giving up on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I finished watching Dark the other night. Watched all 10 episodes over the course of a week. 

Small town, missing kid… I think it’s kind of lazy to label this as ‘the German Stranger Things’. A mate of mine said it had more in common with Stephen King’s It, and I think I agree with him. It’s moodier than Stranger Things. The characters aren’t as goofy or cuddly – they’re all carrying flaws. This isn’t a spot-the-pop-culture reference geek-fest. The soundtrack uses the Doppler Effect to stunning effect – I love the music from the clip below. Foreboding sense of tension that cuts you deep to the bone. By Ben Frost, the same guy that did the music for Fortitude (only seen season one of that). Plot is decent, plenty of holes left to fill for season two.

Unfortunately, it’s dubbed into English. This is the weakest point of it, in my opinion. Some of the English voice-overs are a bit shitty. 

• 1 year later...

Just finished season 2.  Never would've expected a German series on such a high level. Did not know any of the actors beforehand and that shows how much talent and potential is getting wasted in those typical German productions.

It's getting more confusing the more you watch but it's extremely exciting at the same time. Can't wait for the third and last season next year.

• 9 months later...

Ok, I've started this one again and damn It's fantastic. Only 6 episodes in but I'm hooked. I'm a sucker for time travel things anyway, and I never knew that is one of the the series' subjects. Amazing. 

6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I'm already in Season 2. Mindblowingly good this. 

Twice I have tried to watch this and both times I got sidetracked or fell asleep... It seems really good but I start to watch it then nod off because I am tired on a workday watching episode 1 and wake up at silly o clock seeing stuff from episode 4... I am off now for 4 so need to knuckle down and get my act together... 

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Twice I have tried to watch this and both times I got sidetracked or fell asleep... It seems really good but I start to watch it then nod off because I am tired on a workday watching episode 1 and wake up at silly o clock seeing stuff from episode 4... I am off now for 4 so need to knuckle down and get my act together... 

It definitely needs attention. I pay full attention to it, and I'm still confused (not the Mafia Wars kind of confused) so many times and have to go to some Dark-Wiki thing to check a few facts. It's really good. Surprised @nudge hasn't watched it yet? 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

It definitely needs attention. I pay full attention to it, and I'm still confused (not the Mafia Wars kind of confused) so many times and have to go to some Dark-Wiki thing to check a few facts. It's really good. Surprised @nudge hasn't watched it yet? 

I was meaning to for quite a while now... The trailer kind of discouraged me though, as it seemed a bit too artsy/weird and reminded me of Leftovers, which I absolutely hated, haha. On the other hand, it also reminded me of Twin Peaks (which I loved), so I'm still torn whether I should watch it or not xD 

7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Just now, nudge said:

I was meaning to for quite a while now... The trailer kind of discouraged me though, as it seemed a bit too artsy/weird and reminded me of Leftovers, which I absolutely hated, haha. On the other hand, it also reminded me of Twin Peaks (which I loved), so I'm still torn whether I should watch it or not xD 

It seems worth watching but it's weird as well, As Tommy said it has to be given the full attention it deserves just to keep track of what's going on all the time... starting on episode 1 and then waking up on episode 4 is probably not doing me a lot of favours though... 

2 hours ago, nudge said:

It reminds me of Lost sometimes. 

30 minutes ago, Tommy said:

It reminds me of Lost sometimes. 

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Well, this means I'll have to check it out then...

It's about as close to Lost as I am to being 24 years old... but good job suckering Nudge in there mate.. top work

4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

It's about as close to Lost as I am to being 24 years old... but good job suckering Nudge in there mate.. top work

Haha, not all of it, but the cave, and the time travel thing. Oh well. Gottem!  Also I'm on Season 2 while you fell asleep during the first episode. 

Plus, the mystery thing is quite like Lost. Although I'm sure Dark will find a more "logical" ending unless an emotional (yet good) copout. :ph34r:

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Plus, the mystery thing is quite like Lost. Although I'm sure Dark will find a more "logical" ending unless an emotional (yet good) copout. :ph34r:

The ending of LOST was beautiful.

Just now, nudge said:

The ending of LOST was beautiful.

It absolutely was. I loved it. But I'm a sucker for emotional things. I recently read an interview with one of the creators of Lost, and he said that they wanted it to end sooner, but the studio dragged it on, because it was so successful. So I think it was more of an improvised ending rather than the one the creators really imagined. Dark ended after Season 3, with the ending the creators intended. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

It absolutely was. I loved it. But I'm a sucker for emotional things. I recently read an interview with one of the creators of Lost, and he said that they wanted it to end sooner, but the studio dragged it on, because it was so successful. So I think it was more of an improvised ending rather than the one the creators really imagined. Dark ended after Season 3, with the ending the creators intended. 

Have a link to it, by any chance? They used to say that they always knew where they were going with the story, but I wouldn't be surprised it was indeed improvised...

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Have a link to it, by any chance? They used to say that they always knew where they were going with the story, but I wouldn't be surprised it was indeed improvised...

https://screenrant.com/lost-damon-lindelof-series-original-ending-season-abc/

That's why I'm glad that the Dark creators seemed to have envisioned three seasons, and weren't talked into more. Like La Casa de Papel. It had a perfect ending after Season 2, and then somehow they got talked into making more. Admittedly though it was good. 

Archived