talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Ground In English Football? (Quarter Final)

football forum

WHICH IS THE BEST GROUND IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL?   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Quarter Final 1 - Which Is The Best Ground From The Below Options?

• Old Trafford (Manchester United)
    • Craven Cottage (Fulham)
    • Anfield (Liverpool)
  2. 2. Quarter Final 2 - Which Is The Best Ground From The Below Options?

• St. James' Park (Newcastle United)
    • Loftus Road (QPR)
    • Emirates Stadium (Arsenal)
  3. 3. Quarter Final 3 - Which Is The Best Ground From The Below Options?

• Goodison Park (Everton)
    • Etihad Stadium (Manchester City)
    • King Power Stadium (Leicester City)
  4. 4. Quarter Final 4 - Which Is The Best Ground From The Below Options?

• Villa Park (Aston Villa)
    • Molineux (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
    • Elland Road (Leeds United)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot easier to choose this time around with the reduced choices although in “Quarter Final 3” it’s the only group I haven’t been to any of the stadiums but I have visited Goodison (not on match day) and I did like it a lot which is why I chose Everton’s ground on that one. 

39 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

A lot easier to choose this time around with the reduced choices although in “Quarter Final 3” it’s the only group I haven’t been to any of the stadiums but I have visited Goodison (not on match day) and I did like it a lot which is why I chose Everton’s ground on that one. 

Depends what people are going by, if its facilities etc then new stadiums will win.   

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Depends what people are going by, if its facilities etc then new stadiums will win.   

well each person will have different variables to factor in - the main one being 'have I been to this stadium?' I presume. 

If I have, then it boils down to atmosphere, facilities, amenities (if applicable like price of pints/drinks, quality of food etc), accessibility to stadium, easy to get around etc etc. 

If I haven't then I'll base it on what I know about the stadium. 

For example - I've been to Loftus Road and Emirates Stadium. For reasons mentioned in the other thread, I prefer Loftus Road because it actually felt like I was at a football match and the atmosphere topped it all off amongst other things. Whilst I also love the Emirates because of the aesthetics of the stadium and just the sheer magnitude of how big a stadium it is and how nice it looks. But I voted for Loftus Road. So it's not always just about facilities = new stadium win. Other things can (and should in my opinion) be taken in to account. 

29 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Most are going by experiences and nostalgia i reckon, because if it was about looks or capacity then the London Stadium wouldn't be out by now.

48 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

That’s what I said in the first round because if we’re going by facilities, stadium resources and being able to hold proper hi tech events then in England no stadium reaches the levels of The Emirates in my view. 

2 hours ago, Berserker said:

Yeah, why not?

Because in general football fans hate Olympic Stadiums converted into football grounds. The distribution of the stadium is all wrong and affects the atmosphere even if the spend money bringing seats closer.

For example I’ve been to the Olympic Stadium in Rome to see a game and that was horrible as a genuine football experience. Obviously the home fans are used to it but someone coming from watching games in an actual football ground, then it seems all very neutered. 

• Administrator

The other thing about why people hate the Olympic Stadium in London is the way it was attained by West Ham - taxpayer basically paying the running costs for them and they only have to pay £2.5m/year in rent.

Plus, comparatively, West Ham sold themselves out by ditching a great stadium in Upton Park for a soulless, atmosphere-lacking, energy-sapping venue in the Olympic Stadium which doesn't seem fit for football purposes (a sporting venue in general, yes). 

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Because in general football fans hate Olympic Stadiums converted into football grounds. The distribution of the stadium is all wrong and affects the atmosphere even if the spend money bringing seats closer.

For example I’ve been to the Olympic Stadium in Rome to see a game and that was horrible as a genuine football experience. Obviously the home fans are used to it but someone coming from watching games in an actual football ground, then it seems all very neutered. 

I like big, stylish stadiums over small boxy ones. If the fans are passionate then the atmosphere will be there, no-matter the shape or size of the stadium.

Just now, Stan said:

not if it was in the same group as Filbert Street :ph34r: 

Not on your nelly! ¬¬

Filbert Street was a beauty though..

Very traditional but the marbled halls of Highbury with its Art Deco facade is just royal mate. :P

47 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Remember that woman who screamed every time the opposition got into the final third at Highbury? 

I remember two other personalities (not that one curiously enough)

One was an old man that sat on the East Stand and would wait for a moment of less noise where he would shout “Come on you ripple and white”. When I was a kid I used to laugh everytime I heard that.

The other common sound was the oldie that sold peanuts travelling through the terraces... He would obviously shout out “Peanuts, peanuts get ya peanuts”.  I learned later on in my early twenties that his grandfather had started selling peanuts back in the Woolich days and his dad took it on and later himself.

Aaaah nostalgia!  Now we get a lady dressed in what can be described as a air hostess uniform asking you if you want a blanket for your legs and the Japanese guys that sit next to me laughing, aaahing and cheering for both teams. xD

Just now, Kitchen Sales said:

A peanut seller. Fuck me you are older than I thought :ph34r: was your first game in the 70s?

1977 actually as a 6 year old... A cousin of my dad took me to my first game and I remember it vividly still.  We lost to West Ham Utd 2-3 and Liam Brady scored one of the goals becoming my first football idol. Stapleton scored the other for us that day. :)

• Subscriber

I am surprised ours made it through. I think ours is very bland to be honest. Not a poor ground or facility at all but just nothing special. Surprised it got more votes than Derby and Charlton. Strong rumours ours is being expanded to 42,000 though so there's potential to do something special with it.

• The topic was locked

Archived