talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Clattenburg Allowed Spurs To Self-Destruct In 2016 To Avoid Personal Blame

Speaking to NBC's Men in Blazers podcast, he said: "I allowed them [Spurs] to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went: 'Tottenham lost the title.'

"If I sent three players off from Tottenham, what are the headlines? 'Clattenburg cost Tottenham the title.' It was pure theatre that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester won the title."

Asked if he helped to "script" the game, he replied: "I helped the game. I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing.

"Some referees would have played by the book; Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would've been looking for an excuse.

"But I didn't give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: Let them lose the title."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42219327

O.o good to see referee's being honest about their corrupt ways :ph34r:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was going to post this up myself but you beat me too it.... 

As you say... just shows what could and should have happened if Spurs players had been sent off but he was so full of himself he didn't want to be getting any flack for it so he allowed it to continue.... Spineless and they should follow up on this and haul the fucker in and suspend him from duties.. 

Makes you wonder how many other games he was in charge of where all he thought about was himself and how it might look on the back pages the next morning... 

30 minutes ago, Stan said:

can genuinely understand where he's coming from to be honest.

But you are looking at it from a neutral standpoint though... He had a direct influence over proceedings and it is the refs job to uphold the rules no matter how bad things get.. The fact Clattenburg allowed personal feelings to enter in to effectively made him just a useless bystander...  

Some would say that he already is just a useless bystander... He acted with only his self interest at heart, It's part of the job that a ref gets stick so either accept it or move on to another job..

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Was going to post this up myself but you beat me too it.... 

As you say... just shows what could and should have happened if Spurs players had been sent off but he was so full of himself he didn't want to be getting any flack for it so he allowed it to continue.... Spineless and they should follow up on this and haul the fucker in and suspend him from duties.. 

Makes you wonder how many other games he was in charge of where all he thought about was himself and how it might look on the back pages the next morning... 

He's not a ref anymore so they can't pull him in, that is why he is saying it. 

Referees aren't held to account enough by their own profession, instead the media does it. Clattenburg is showing here that backlash from his own profession foes not offset that from the media. His own profession obviously isn't up to scratch. There should be a detailed and advanced league table for referees, publicly printed with absolutely every single decision they make or do not make recorded and rated. I bet we'd sharp see some referees relegated.

• Subscriber

I don't think he did the right thing here and what's even worse is that the muppet has now come out and said it publicly with the intention of what? This just highlights how poor the entire system is in catching this kind of thing and not just punishing clubs but punishing the referees as well. They seem untouchable with laughable decisions week after week and yet their governing body introduces technology to reduce their 'mistakes' while still allowing them to do it. The last part of this article really sums up his entire view of the sport and his profession.

"They love a tackle, they don't want it punished."

Yeah but letting tempers flare, players getting banned, clubs getting fined and causing more problems than a simple red could have handled is perfectly alright as long someone gets to see a tackle. Any other job and that is negligence but this is just another day at the office for refs.

It was without doubt the best Premier League game I have witnessed over all the years I have been watching football, a night so electric! I fully understand where he is coming from and it explains why those numerous Red cards were not shown. I said at the time and believe to this day that night defined Tottenham for that season and the future of that group of players. Nothing they have done since that night has changed my mind.

However, his interview makes concrete my belief officials go into games with a game plan\ point of view, towards a player / team. My own club suffered what has been called the biggest travesty of officiating when in a CL semi final 2nd leg at Stamford Bridge was doctored by a referee who cheated us out of a final.

While Clattenberg cant be brought up before any football body, I believe his admission pours fuel on many peoples belief certain officials have weaknesses with certain clubs and consistently waver against those clubs.

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Not like we had much to play for, other than our record against Spurs at the bridge. But again, we did get a fine afterwards. 

Speak for yourself mate... You obviously wasnt there on the night. Read Clattenburg's words on what the stadium was like... Stopping Spurs that night was EVERYTHING! It was electric!

1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

He's not a ref anymore so they can't pull him in, that is why he is saying it. 

Referees aren't held to account enough by their own profession, instead the media does it. Clattenburg is showing here that backlash from his own profession foes not offset that from the media. His own profession obviously isn't up to scratch. There should be a detailed and advanced league table for referees, publicly printed with absolutely every single decision they make or do not make recorded and rated. I bet we'd sharp see some referees relegated.

Yea but he is currently the Head of Refereeing for the Saudi Arabian Football Federation which is still part of a footballing body so he could be hauled in and given a suspension not that they will, and not that it will change anything which is the bigger problem in my eyes.. 

9 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Speak for yourself mate... You obviously wasnt there on the night. Read Clattenburg's words on what the stadium was like... Stopping Spurs that night was EVERYTHING! It was electric!

Read the whole sentence?

13 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Have to say that was one of the best atmosphere's I've experienced at the ground. Sad state we found ourselves in though that season.

Barcelona in the semi final at home on the famous 2012 run is well up there as well. Will maybe do a list later.

• Subscriber

If Clattenburg had done his job early and booked the Chelsea players that continually hacked us down it wouldn't have descended into what it did. He had no control of the game and no wonder it got out of hand.

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Cicero said:

:219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake:

Actually not a fish it's true - he lost control very early when your players were flying in. Ours retaliated and it went from there. He should not be proud of that. He had a job and he didn't do it.

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

Actually not a fish it's true - he lost control very early when your players were flying in. Ours retaliated and it went from there. He should not be proud of that. He had a job and he didn't do it.

Fairly certain it was Rose's challenge on Willian that initially led to things going tits up. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

But you are looking at it from a neutral standpoint though... He had a direct influence over proceedings and it is the refs job to uphold the rules no matter how bad things get.. The fact Clattenburg allowed personal feelings to enter in to effectively made him just a useless bystander...  

Some would say that he already is just a useless bystander... He acted with only his self interest at heart, It's part of the job that a ref gets stick so either accept it or move on to another job..

I kind of agree with this to be honest.

I can see what he's getting at. As soon as one red card was shown and with so much riding on the game, that's it, 'the ref would have ruined the game'. 

Referees always try and keep 11 players on the pitch unless absolutely necessary. In this Chelsea/Spurs game there was definitely a case for a red card or 2. So you could say that every ref goes in to a match with a specific mindset of either being an absolute cuntmuppet or being sensible and trying to make it as even as possible where needed.

I think the way Clattenburg has said what he has has screwed himself over a little bit. Yeah he has been a bit selfish and tried not to make the game about him, but in coming out and saying the above, he's made it absolutely about himself.

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

If a referee sends 5 players off when 5 players deserved red cards, and it supposedly "ruins the game" then don't blame the ref, blame the players for being idiots.

Absolutely agree with this. If they were legitimate red cards, no one would say Clattenburg cost Tottenham the title, so what he's really saying is that he didn't have the bottle to referee the match properly.

Incidentally, I remember someone doing an analysis a few years ago that concluded Howard Webb also became more risk averse during his career and shied away from making big decisions.

I fucking hate this notion of a referee 'ruining the game' anyway. If a player commits a sending off offence, he should walk no matter what. Selectively applying rules depending on the player in question or the time of game is disgraceful.

22 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Incidentally, I remember someone doing an analysis a few years ago that concluded Howard Webb also became more risk averse during his career and shied away from making big decisions.

Karate kick to Xabi Alonso in a World Cup Final and other serious fouls during the game... He needed an underpants change in that one. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

It was without doubt the best Premier League game I have witnessed over all the years I have been watching football, a night so electric! I fully understand where he is coming from and it explains why those numerous Red cards were not shown. I said at the time and believe to this day that night defined Tottenham for that season and the future of that group of players. Nothing they have done since that night has changed my mind.

However, his interview makes concrete my belief officials go into games with a game plan\ point of view, towards a player / team. My own club suffered what has been called the biggest travesty of officiating when in a CL semi final 2nd leg at Stamford Bridge was doctored by a referee who cheated us out of a final.

While Clattenberg cant be brought up before any football body, I believe his admission pours fuel on many peoples belief certain officials have weaknesses with certain clubs and consistently waver against those clubs.

Referees, just like players have their own allegiances and indeed biases. I remember when QPR had Lee Mason officiate a match during the relegation run in. No one saw a problem with a Bolton supporter and ticket holder officiating it either. Go figure. 

Archived