talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Clattenburg Allowed Spurs To Self-Destruct In 2016 To Avoid Personal Blame

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

"Avoid personal blame" is absolute nonsense. Spurs were 8 behind us going into that game. People make it out to be a lot closer than it was.

He's handled it truly awfully. Gives more questions than answers for me.

38 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I can totally understand his reasoning behind it. Sure,  it's not right,  in a way, but I can understand a person being scared of the negative attention,  and most importantly, threats and abuse being directed at him for doing his job. 

If someone can't put up with that, I'd strongly, strongly advise that they don't become a referee in the first place.

• Subscriber

That's absolutely disgraceful. I'm in shock that people are saying it's understandable. Okay from a strategic point of view but what about a professional point of view?

This man is literally admitting that he consciously decided not to officiate by the letter of the law in a match with millions and millions of pounds at stake and he got paid to do it. How people are like "oh derp, I see where he's coming from" is beyond me.

These comments will (correctly) be used as evidence of a lack of integrity and accountability in refereeing in football.

Besides the impact on the sport, what an absolute mong anyway. Avoided sending players off to avoid negative headlines and then comes out with this xD.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

That's absolutely disgraceful. I'm in shock that people are saying it's understandable. Okay from a strategic point of view but what about a professional point of view?

This man is literally admitting that he consciously decided not to officiate by the letter of the law in a match with millions and millions of pounds at stake and he got paid to do it. How people are like "oh derp, I see where he's coming from" is beyond me.

These comments will (correctly) be used as evidence of a lack of integrity and accountability in refereeing in football.

Besides the impact on the sport, what an absolute mong anyway. Avoided sending players off to avoid negative headlines and then comes out with this xD.

Personal life > Professional life

So he's admitting he didn't send off Tottenham players because they're media darlings and the media would make him a target. This shouldn't be something that's just brushed off, people think Dier's a good footballer instead of a dirty bastard because of this.

How did twattenburg even know we would equalise? To my understanding, the majority of these challenges occurred when we were 0-2 and 1-2 down. 

Sounds like he was more interested in keeping Spurs in the title race by not sending them off....

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

How did twattenburg even know we would equalise? To my understanding, the majority of these challenges occurred when we were 0-2 and 1-2 down. 

he didn't? he's not even saying he knew you would or that he would know how the game would pan out - he just chose not to send players off for fear of bad press and 'ruining the game'. Ironically referees are criticised for ruining games when players are sent off in big games anyway. 

7 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Makes you wonder how many other games he was in charge of where all he thought about was himself and how it might look on the back pages the next morning... 

I will never forgive him for the way he reffed our cup final. Being all pally with his mate Alex beforehand and then blowing up for fouls every time we looked to break forwards. I wonder what 'tactic' he had there.

No doubt he will be on I'm a celeb and strictly in the next couple of years. Attention seeking prick.

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

he didn't? he's not even saying he knew you would or that he would know how the game would pan out - he just chose not to send players off for fear of bad press and 'ruining the game'. Ironically referees are criticised for ruining games when players are sent off in big games anyway. 

Honestly, I don't think they are very often. You hear pundits defend a referee not sending someone off by saying 'it would've ruined the game' but I only ever remember it the other way around once. Even that was when Mane was sent off vs City and Gary Neville was criticising the decision itself

I suppose the real concern is about how much personal discretion is used in a match rather than just applying the full letter of the law each time... At least if you applied the letter of the law there could be no question of a lack of integrity... 

Nobody wants to see a game ruined by an over zealous ref who just goes straight for a red when a yellow will do or even a stern talking to might get some early control of a match but what Clattenburg is on about goes well above and beyond that. He knowingly allowed a game to get well out of hand and had zero intention of doing anything about it for fear of adverse headlines about him the following morning... 

How could you honestly say that refs are going into matches and are doing the job they are paid to do??? 

Given the level of corruption in Football these days it would be a miracle if you had someone that could do his job correctly without having his ear bent in some dark corner somewhere... Its probably always been there since time began but what a cluster fuck this game is becoming.. 

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Read the full interview, The worst part is were he refers to himself in third person. What a bellend.

isn't that because he's quoting what the press would have said xD ?

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Suppose it's quite refreshing being right all along about how people's blind faith in the integrity of football in this country is fucking laughable, but at the same time it's quite depressing.

Said many a time more and more refereeing performances deserve to be investigated.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Those who criticise in that scenario are the problem. Absolutely reactive from Clattenburg and what a terrible precedent to set.

"Maverick" Mark Clattenburg's handling of Tottenham's game at Chelsea in May 2016 was "a gamble too far", says ex-top-flight official Dermot Gallagher.

Ex-referee Clattenburg said he could have sent off three players but let Spurs "self-destruct" so he could not be blamed for them losing the title.

"We are duty bound to treat every player in every game firmly, fairly and consistently," said Gallagher.

"He [Clattenburg] certainly didn't. It was all about him, wasn't it?"

Spurs needed to beat Chelsea to retain any hope of winning the league.

Clattenburg - who is now head of referees in Saudi Arabia - booked nine Spurs players in the bad-tempered 2-2 draw and the two clubs later received record fines from the Football Association.

Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele was also banned for six games for violent conduct against Chelsea's Diego Costa.

"The only thing you would say about what he did on the night is that he was consistent throughout," Gallagher told BBC Radio 5 live.

"If he was a young referee making his way through and you saw a performance like that then an assessor would tear him to bits.

"Let's not forget one thing, he was a fantastic referee. He was an individual, there's no doubt about that. He had a maverick side to him.

"He was a fantastic referee and maybe he thought because he was respected so much by the players he could take those gambles. On this occasion it was a gamble too far."

'What a load of rubbish'

Clattenburg took charge of the Euro 2016 final, as well as that year's Champions League and FA Cup finals, before quitting as a Premier League official the following season to move to Saudi Arabia.

"When you listen to him and that he went in with a gameplan because he didn't want the headline of 'Clattenburg costs Spurs the title', there's something wrong about that," added former Arsenal striker Ian Wright.

"I can't see how a referee can go into a game thinking about anything other than officiating it in isolation. If people have to be sent off they have to be sent off. It's baffling for me."

The draw against Chelsea meant Tottenham missed out on the title to Leicester.

"What a load of rubbish," added former Leicester striker Steve Claridge. "Say he doesn't send those Tottenham players off, they beat Chelsea and they win the league. How does his masterplan work then?"

Clattenburg is no longer part of the Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOL) select group, which provides all the referees for top flight matches, and it will not be commenting on his remarks.

Archived