• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday 6 (Group D) - Tuesday 5th December, 2017

• Administrator

Barcelona vs Sporting Lisbon. 7.45pm
Olympiakos vs Juventus, 7.45pm

Permutations
Barcelona are guaranteed top spot
For Sporting Lisbon to automatically qualify for knockouts, they have to win and hope Juve lose/draw to finish 2nd
If Sporting Lisbon draw and Juve lose, Juve will qualify as they have a better head-to-head record over Sporting Lisbon. 

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, SirBalon said:

Alcácer is a goal poacher and always has been. This is what he’s good at.

wasn't even a poacher's goal though. Leapt highest from a corner and glanced it pass the keeper. 

Just now, Stan said:

wasn't even a poacher's goal though. Leapt highest from a corner and glanced it pass the keeper. 

True... What I meant is that in the box is where he’s most valuable and that’s why it was so questioned when he was signed because Barcelona haven’t ever played with a traditional 9 as its not their style. Look at what happened to Zlatan, he just didn’t cut it!  The last traditional 9 I can remember that played quite a bit was Julio Salinas in Cruyff’s era as Barça coach and even then he wasn’t a starter but came on almost every game. 

Just to add my two pence worth on a man of the match today... Denis Suárez.  Everyone knows how talented he is but he’s been accused of being toothless in the fight and today he showed that he does possess this and coupled with his extraordinary technical ability, today he was for me the main man.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

True... What I meant is that in the box is where he’s most valuable and that’s why it was so questioned when he was signed because Barcelona haven’t ever played with a traditional 9 as its not their style. Look at what happened to Zlatan, he just didn’t cut it!  The last traditional 9 I can remember that played quite a bit was Julio Salinas in Cruyff’s era as Barça coach and even then he wasn’t a starter but came on almost every game. 

Kluivert I would say was the last traditional number 9 for Barcelona that was succesful.  

6 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

Kluivert I would say was the last traditional number 9 for Barcelona that was succesful.  

Hmmm... Was he a natural 9? I saw him more like a David Villa type attacker that would love to come in from wide positions. But maybe you’re right mate.  All the same traditional 9s at Barça are a rarity. 

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Hmmm... Was he a natural 9? I saw him more like a David Villa type attacker that would love to come in from wide positions. But maybe you’re right mate.  All the same traditional 9s at Barça are a rarity. 

Well he was very skillful for a tall player but he was always played as the Number 9 for the national side,  also with Barcelona he played with Overmars, Rivaldo, Figo on the wings.

Archived