talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Film & TV Off topic

football forum

I didn't wanted to open a new topic for this,  because it's not confirmed and still at development stage. So,  decided to open an off topic,  where we can dump such news. (or Tsubs can talk about Hardy and Shia :ph34r:

Anyways,  Quentin Tarantino has pitched an R rated version of Star Trek and it's being seriously considered. I am already excited.

https://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-r-rating-mark-l-smith-the-revenant-drew-pearce-lindsay-beer-jj-abrams-1202222161/amp/

Cue @Machado fapping. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Ready to get slated but Tarantino is the most overrated figure in film and tv in my lifetime. Kill Bill was enjoyable but not much else - Django Unchained was the last film of his that I watched because it was so bad.

• Subscriber

I love alot of his films, most the early work but Inglorious Bastards was thoroughly enjoyable. His detractors have already spoken im not going to turn this into a Tarrantino thread but the man is brilliant and this idea would make alot of money either way. Im excited.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

quick summary here on BBC of what to expect in 2018 on TV

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42440245

Ones that stand our for me are:

13 Reasons Why (Netlfix) - i'm intrigued and curious as to why this got commissioned for another series. the first was hard-hitting and controversial enough in some aspects but it certainly did what it may have set out to do in that it raised awareness for teenage suicides and the mental health concerns in younger people. But how will it proceed for another series?

Kiss Me First (E4/Netflix) - This one sounds fairly interesting. I'm a fan of Bryan Elsley (especially for Skins) who has written this new programme. 

• Administrator

good article here from British Comedy Guide (good to follow on Twitter anyway).

Comedy shows coming up for 2018. They've picked their top 20.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/features/tv_highlights_2018/

My choices from those 20:
Alan Partridge - title as yet unknown but looking forward to him being back on our screens
Back - starring Robert Webb and David Mitchell, the first series was a hit in 2017 and will enjoy the 2nd series hopefully!
Cuckoo - a mish-mash of actors in this. Never thought Taylor Lautner and Greg Davies would combine successfully but series 4 is meant to be on screens later this year. 
Friday Night Dinner - For me, one of the best comedies Britain has ever produced. I know that's a bold thing to say but it's fucking brilliant. Love it. Glad it's back.
Hold The Sunset - Mainly out of curiosity, this one. John Cleese back on screens as a sitcom lead. Storyline sounds underwhelming so expectations aren't too high.
Karl Pilkington: Sick of It - If it's going to be as funny as his Idiot Abroad efforts then we're all in for a treat.
Plebs - Bit childish and immature and probably not to everyone's taste but I like it because it's something light and mildly amusing. Fan of the actors in it as well.

Things i won't be watching
Episodes
The Mash Report
Car Share

Watched the series that have been available up til now and, especially with Episodes, I was not a fan of. 

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Didn't know Natalie Portman was such an entitled bitch.

Think it has more to do with the climate in media right now tbh. Seems like everywhere you turn its being shoved in everyone's face and while I can understand why I think its just being overdone. The Globes also had something similar.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/01/2018 at 20:27, Tommy said:

Didn't know Natalie Portman was such an entitled bitch.

It's interesting it's made you so angry and the language you use to show that. It's been what, 34 years since a woman won that award? I imagine there's not been a whole load nominated either.

Considering the lack of opportunity to women within the industry compared to men I think it's pretty obvious there's a level of systemic sexism holding them back.

• 3 years later...
  • Administrator

Paul Ritter, who played roles in Friday Night Dinner, No Offence and Chernobyl - has died aged 54 from a brain tumour :(

Incredibly sad as he was a great actor. Found him hilarious. No idea he was ill and such a young age still :(. RIP.

34 minutes ago, Stan said:

Paul Ritter, who played roles in Friday Night Dinner, No Offence and Chernobyl - has died aged 54 from a brain tumour :(

Incredibly sad as he was a great actor. Found him hilarious. No idea he was ill and such a young age still :(. RIP.

:(

I loved him in the end of Friday Night Dinner once I got in to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

197657424_1917952425036044_6145719945291

xD

I must say that while I love binge watching TV shows sometimes, I do appreciate the old-school model of releasing an episode per week. It builds anticipation nicely, makes it more memorable, and frankly, I just like speculating what is going to happen next, whether when talking to friends or discussing it online. That way, it's an experience that lasts an entire season instead of just instant gratification. 

Just now, nudge said:

I must say that while I love binge watching TV shows sometimes, I do appreciate the old-school model of releasing an episode per week. It builds anticipation nicely, makes it more memorable, and frankly, I just like speculating what is going to happen next, whether when talking to friends or discussing it online. That way, it's an experience that lasts an entire season instead of just instant gratification. 

I totally agree. But I think especially for Disney+ it was just the case that they wanted people to extend their subscriptions. Especially with the Mandalorian. 

I'm not a binge watcher myself, and made the mistake of telling people about a show that I hadn't finished yet, and they ended up finishing it before me, which annoyed me. Now I always finish a show first before I recommend it. xD

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

I totally agree. But I think especially for Disney+ it was just the case that they wanted people to extend their subscriptions. Especially with the Mandalorian. 

I'm not a binge watcher myself, and made the mistake of telling people about a show that I hadn't finished yet, and they ended up finishing it before me, which annoyed me. Now I always finish a show first before I recommend it. xD

Oh sure, that's definitely part of their game. Build fandom, get people hooked, ensure they stay and keep using the platform. So the way I see it, it's a win-win... For me personally, Disney+ is worth it alone for all the Star Wars content - both the existing films and series as well as all those upcoming shows, so I would keep on using it, either way. 

Personally I think anyone who can't binge watch an entire season in one night and still be up at 5:30am for work the next day to be a rank amateur... People that need it a week at a time are the same kind of people that nibble their sandwich slowly round the edges working their way to the middle making it last as long as possible rather than just eating it in 2 or 3 bites.. :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Archived