talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Club World Cup 2017

football forum

Al-Jazira (UAE Champions) beat Auckland City (OFC Champions League Winners) in the first round.

Gremio enters on Tuesday,  against the winner of Pachuca vs Wydad Casablanca. Real Madrid enters on Wednesday, against the winner of Al-Jazira vs Urawa Red Diamonds.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

If Real don#'t improve from how they have been playing this season, then Gremio will do them in the final. You can't underestimate South American opposition as they will make you pay if you aren't at your best.

Agreed. Gremio are a good side and this is the first year that the South American sides get to completely keep their title winning side. Before the competition ended in June and the whole side was taken apart.

I still expect Real to win it but it wouldn't shock me at all if they don't.

The Grêmio vs. Pachuca match did go into extra time, but it still showed that Grêmio was the far better side. After about an hour, Pachuca's forces started to wane, while Grêmio showed the technical prowess and fitness of a top football side. We had to wait a long time for a goal, which may be down to either a lack of creativity or both teams playing not to lose rather than to win, but Grêmio have a good a chance as any Brazilian team to take the trophy back to South America.

Real Madrid is an uncertain factor as they haven't played many good matches this season, but even an out-of-form Madrid should still be leagues above Grêmio (let alone Al-Jazira) if we look at individual skill, depth of squad, tactical options, etc. That should make for an interesting final, but somehow it wouldn't surprise me if Real messed up tonight as it is that kind of season.

On 12/10/2017 at 3:43 AM, Cicero said:

They should really post pone this comp a few weeks and let the MLS champion join in too. Id like to see Toronoto vs Real Madrid. That would be a laugh 

I've been thinking about the possibility to move this comp to another date, but December seems to be the only possible time to do it for it to not interfere with either Champions League or summer competitions/player holidays. The fact that it's always organized in either the Middle East or Japan also makes it a dent in any schedule.

I really wish this competition would become a bigger deal. It's a competition to determine the best football club in the world, which should carry a lot of weight, but especially in Europe it's still considered by many to be a glorified training tournament. Maybe if it were organized interspersedly between Europe and one of the Americas instead of some oil nation, it'd generate a bit more interest. But I suppose that due to the geographical distance between each competitor, it'll always remain a nuisance in any trainer's schedule.

7 hours ago, Panflute said:

I've been thinking about the possibility to move this comp to another date, but December seems to be the only possible time to do it for it to not interfere with either Champions League or summer competitions/player holidays. The fact that it's always organized in either the Middle East or Japan also makes it a dent in any schedule.

I really wish this competition would become a bigger deal. It's a competition to determine the best football club in the world, which should carry a lot of weight, but especially in Europe it's still considered by many to be a glorified training tournament. Maybe if it were organized interspersedly between Europe and one of the Americas instead of some oil nation, it'd generate a bit more interest. But I suppose that due to the geographical distance between each competitor, it'll always remain a nuisance in any trainer's schedule.

I agree, but I'd change the wording of that.

Its a competition to determine the champion of the world, but not the best. When Corinthians won in 2012, they had some great players but they were not better than Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich. Those times when South American club level was world class are long over. Atletico Nacional was the best South American team since Bianchi's Boca Juniors last year but that's the only team that was even remotely close to "world class". Money has killed the level in South America and while its still fun to watch and you get the odd world class team, its not the norm like it was before the 1990's.

Every team except the Europeans take this seriously, and I say that loosely because the teams do care but the fans see it as a distraction. Even then though its a competition they are expected to win, and the celebrations from them are not as great as one would hope.

Every single counter by Al Jazira results in a dangerous chance. The Real Madrid line is so high and offensive. I don't think Zidane will be stupid enough to try that against Gremio but if they do, just a note that Gremio have much better decision making than these.

I hate VAR and I'm totally against it as you all know. Al Jazira can't use that as an excuse for their loss. Real Madrid also had a goal ruled out and the offside was the correct call. Although I would prefer to just leave it as a goal if the referee didn't see an offside, there is no excuse for either side here.

I always predict the South American sides to give the Europeans a game in the final, but its the first time in a while I actually think they'll win. I hope they do it too. Viva la Gremio.

Disappointed with Gremio. Thought they would give Real more of a game, but they are being completely outclassed. 

Real Madrid the kings of efficiency as usual.

Archived