talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Managers ‘stealing a living’

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Alan Pardew improved us significantly in the first half of his reign. He gave us a cup run and turned us in to a top half team. Whilst it didn't end on ideal terms some of the views towards him are somewhat warped.

He did the same at Newcastle. Long term the man becomes fixated on himself which I highly suspect is the reason his teams implode. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

There's one English coach doing decent overseas. Not a fashionable enough name to get a chance at home though. Graham Potter.

Shocking that he's the only English manager in European competition out of 48 teams given the pedigree of English football.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

There's one English coach doing decent overseas. Not a fashionable enough name to get a chance at home though. Graham Potter.

Shocking that he's the only English manager in European competition out of 48 teams given the pedigree of English football.

He was on a podcast recently. His story is quite something. He’s seen as a hero there.

If English Managers want to succeed then they need to go to countries in Europe to build a reputation as the culture of quick sackings in England does nothing to help the development of Managers.

If this culture had existed years ago then the likes of Moyes, Pardew and Allardyce would not be getting jobs. David Moyes would have been sacked for Evertons finish in 2003/04, Sam Allardyce would have been sacked for nearly taking Bolton down in 2002/03, and Alan Pardew would have been going for failing to get West Ham out The Championship in 2003/04. 

The next generation of Managers after them are the ones that have suffered. The likes of Gary Monk at Swansea, Steve Clarke at West Brom and Nigel Adkins at Southampton who were all sacked for doing rather well and have never recovered. 

If Graham Potter had managed clubs over here he would probably have been written off after six months the at a shit house like Wigan.

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Graham Potter would never have got a job in the Football League immediately, he’d have had to start in non-League. 

Tbf I think he started in the 3rd or 4th tier in Sweden, so it's not like he was handed a decent job. 

Edit: but yeah I think another problem with British managers, besides being afraid to leave their comfort zones, is that they often feel entitled.

Its more the ex-player types, who sit around expecting a job to just open up for them. If you're really serious about becoming a manager, you should be applying to whatever you can find, basically anywhere you can afford to travel to, and at whatever level. 

Look at Thomas Christiansen at Leeds. He went to a shit Cypriot club, earned the APOEL job, and then earned the Leeds job. Are Danish people more equipped to live in Cyprus than British people? No. The only difference is that he had the actual enthusiasm for his career to go where the work was.

• Subscriber
On 12/11/2017 at 9:45 AM, The Palace Fan said:

Why would you not appoint someone proven to make you over one hundred million pounds if you're a Stoke, Palace, West Brom etc.?

Because it's an entertainment industry. It's acceptance of being unremarkable. You could half understand it if these clubs tried in the cups but by and large they don't, and for what?

• Subscriber
On 12/11/2017 at 10:39 PM, RandoEFC said:

He's someone worth keeping an eye on and what he's done should also tempt more British coaches into Europe.

• Subscriber
On 12/12/2017 at 0:06 PM, Inverted said:

Tbf I think he started in the 3rd or 4th tier in Sweden, so it's not like he was handed a decent job. 

Edit: but yeah I think another problem with British managers, besides being afraid to leave their comfort zones, is that they often feel entitled.

Its more the ex-player types, who sit around expecting a job to just open up for them. If you're really serious about becoming a manager, you should be applying to whatever you can find, basically anywhere you can afford to travel to, and at whatever level. 

Look at Thomas Christiansen at Leeds. He went to a shit Cypriot club, earned the APOEL job, and then earned the Leeds job. Are Danish people more equipped to live in Cyprus than British people? No. The only difference is that he had the actual enthusiasm for his career to go where the work was.

Ryan Giggs is the worst of them. I don't know if it's him or his mates in the media but I haven't got a clue why people try and guilt trip bottom half sides into going for him. I'd love to know what his supposed managerial credentials are.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Ryan Giggs is the worst of them. I don't know if it's him or his mates in the media but I haven't got a clue why people try and guilt trip bottom half sides into going for him. I'd love to know what his supposed managerial credentials are.

This. I remember the outcry when Bob Bradley, granted it didn’t work out; was appointed Swansea manager with his long serving managerial career in favor of Ryan Giggs ... with his very brief and barely memorable caretaker role at United. 

Another example of “don’t you know who I am!” Syndrome. Get a job in the lower leagues. Useless shite xD

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Batard said:

This. I remember the outcry when Bob Bradley, granted it didn’t work out; was appointed Swansea manager with his long serving managerial career in favor of Ryan Giggs ... with his very brief and barely memorable caretaker role at United. 

Another example of “don’t you know who I am!” Syndrome. Get a job in the lower leagues. Useless shite xD

There's so many of these things where people complain and show ridiculous entitlement which alone would put me off employing them.

Turning this a little controversial here but I don't buy this black managers argument either. I don't believe that clubs would actively avoid appointing a black manager on that basis in such a lucrative industry. Paul Ince isn't not getting jobs because he's black, Paul Ince isn't getting jobs because he's shite.

EDIT: And entitled.

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, Dan said:

There's so many of these things where people complain and show ridiculous entitlement which alone would put me off employing them.

Turning this a little controversial here but I don't buy this black managers argument either. I don't believe that clubs would actively avoid appointing a black manager on that basis in such a lucrative industry. Paul Ince isn't not getting jobs because he's black, Paul Ince isn't getting jobs because he's shite.

EDIT: And entitled.

The issue of black managers is a tough one, because I don’t doubt the route in for potentially talented black managers isn’t the same as it is for white. Although I have nothing to back up that subjective viewpoint other than what I see in terms of former black players managing across the country.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Batard said:

The issue of black managers is a tough one, because I don’t doubt the route in for potentially talented black managers isn’t the same as it is for white. Although I have nothing to back up that subjective viewpoint other than what I see in terms of former black players managing across the country.

I do think if there truly is an issue here then it doesn't help having people like Paul Ince make that point. He's got a shocking track record as a manager, as has John Barnes, makes the whole argument lose credibility to me.

I'm just not convinced. There are loads of black players in English football.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dan said:

I do think if there truly is an issue here then it doesn't help having people like Paul Ince make that point. He's got a shocking track record as a manager, as has John Barnes, makes the whole argument lose credibility to me.

I do think there is still a race issue in England, culturally the racist underbelly still exists. I’ve heard it at games and whilst you’re right with what you say, I wonder whether it’s a level playing field.

10 hours ago, Dan said:

It's something that will improve naturally over time. It's not long ago black footballers were very outnumbered in England. We've had more black managers emerge in recent years not because of the changes to the interview system but because a higher number of former black players that have worked their way through the coaching setups at relevant clubs to gather the experience to be considered a creditable candidate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

It would be remiss of me not to mention how absolutely absurd Mark Hughes comments have been, in light of victory against West Brom yesterday. I appreciate you can only beat what’s put in front of you but West Brom under Pardew are no big shakes. I think he’s seriously deluded if he thinks a win against West Brom alleviates any pressure on him. It’s also disingenuous for him to state the only people suggesting he was at risk were from outside the club. Many of his own fans think he’s toss. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

So after the festive fixtures, the knee jerk says

Managers not, in fact, stealing a living: Roy Hodgson, David Moyes, Sam Allardyce

Managers who actually are stealing a living: Alan Pardew, Mark Hughes

They are all creatures though to be fair. 

Hodgson sounds like a tortoise with its tongue ripped out

Moyes looks about 95

Alladyce doesn’t give a fuck about anything but money

Pardew thinks he’s 15

Hughes thinks that nobody could ever replace him

Honestly, what an absolute circle of fools.  

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

They are all creatures though to be fair. 

Hodgson sounds like a tortoise with its tongue ripped out

Moyes looks about 95

Alladyce doesn’t give a fuck about anything but money

Pardew thinks he’s 15

Hughes thinks that nobody could ever replace him

Honestly, what an absolute circle of fools.  

just cos you look old doesn't mean you're stealing a living xD 

Archived