talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Managers ‘stealing a living’

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yes the league needs more young, sexy, foreign managers like Marco Silva and Roberto Martinez so everyone can look class for 10 games a season but actually be shit over time and get relegated :whistling:.

That does actually sound better than having Mourinho, Allardyce, Hodgson, Pardew, Hughes & Moyes for entertainment value to be fair.  

5 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Lets all live in a world where no one takes any risks because it might not work out. 

Sounds enthralling 

I wish instead of getting in from work this morning I’d have not sunk 16 cans whilst watching the Ashes, I should have mowed the lawn while it wasn’t raining 

xD

• Subscriber

There are levels of risk taking though. Some people seem to want to see let's say Pardew take West Brom to the Etihad and "have a go", which is a risk akin to me jumping off a cliff into the sea and hoping I don't hit any rocks.

Or Mr Pardew could get his team organised and set up to stay in the game at the Etihad so that when the opportunity presents itself to risk committing 4 or 5 men to an attack, the potential reward of a goal may actually result in them getting some points. This risk is more akin to me putting a fiver on black at the roulette table at the end of the night so I can afford a takeaway before I hop in a taxi.

Nobody likes watching negative football and teams scared to attack each other but if it wasn't a valuable approach at times then nobody would do it and if the likes of Moyes and Pardew didn't have some success in keeping teams in the Premier League and guaranteeing the cool £40m of TV money plus extra sponsorship opportunities for another year then money-motivated stakeholders wouldn't keep giving them jobs.

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There are levels of risk taking though. Some people seem to want to see let's say Pardew take West Brom to the Etihad and "have a go", which is a risk akin to me jumping off a cliff into the sea and hoping I don't hit any rocks.

Or Mr Pardew could get his team organised and set up to stay in the game at the Etihad so that when the opportunity presents itself to risk committing 4 or 5 men to an attack, the potential reward of a goal may actually result in them getting some points. This risk is more akin to me putting a fiver on black at the roulette table at the end of the night so I can afford a takeaway before I hop in a taxi.

Nobody likes watching negative football and teams scared to attack each other but if it wasn't a valuable approach at times then nobody would do it and if the likes of Moyes and Pardew didn't have some success in keeping teams in the Premier League and guaranteeing the cool £40m of TV money plus extra sponsorship opportunities for another year then money-motivated stakeholders wouldn't keep giving them jobs.

The likes of Moyes and Pardew? 

Alladyce is the biggest escape merchant of them all. 

• Administrator

Objectively speaking, going by the data, Moyes, Allardyce and Hodgson have been successful appointments. I would question their long term viability but until they have a full pre-season and indeed season under their belts to alter my opinion, I’m sticking to my guns. 

Mark Hughes has only reinforced my opinion that he is a charlatan. Harsh I know. But his track record of mediocrity with talented players doesn’t wash. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Batard said:

Objectively speaking, going by the data, Moyes, Allardyce and Hodgson have been successful appointments. I would question their long term viability but until they have a full pre-season and indeed season under their belts to alter my opinion, I’m sticking to my guns. 

Mark Hughes has only reinforced my opinion that he is a charlatan. Harsh I know. But his track record of mediocrity with talented players doesn’t wash. 

I agree with you there. Long term these managers will never take their clubs above their perceived glass ceiling just like Moyes could never do with us.

However like we've said at the start of the thread no Premier League owner in their right mind is going to appoint a long term option over one of these escape artists because the financial incentives in football basically make it a "do we go for Allardyce/Pardew/etc and get our £40m again in August" or "do we go for untested young manager X who has a long term vision but increase the risk of losing that £40m that could help us make that vision a reality".

It's a shit cycle at the moment, and we'll all be a lot closer in our opinions when it comes to discussing how much we like seeing the financially motivated decisions at board room level spill over into what happens on the pitch but this is what football has turned itself into.

Hodgson's only stealing a living when he's managing a side that has any sort of expectation weighing down on him. Blackburn when they were competing for the titles? Stealing a living there. Two stints with Inter? Stealing a living there - to the point where the fans pelted him with fucking coins. Liverpool? Oops, I've just reminded myself of the worst period of Liverpool FC I can remember. Let's not talk about his time with Liverpool actually. England? He wasn't McClaren bad... but he wasn't very good either.

But with WBA, Fulham, Palace now, and that Norweigian (was it Norweigian, I'm not going to go wiki him now because I don't want to see us on the list of sides he's managed) and he's not under as much pressure from the fans and suddenly he's pretty fucking good as a manager.

Mark Hughes and Pardew are the worst managers on that list. Hughes just seems totally out of ideas. And Pardew is a terrible long term appointment, as he always loses the fucking plot, but he does seem to give his sides a shot in the arm shortly after joining. Except Charlton - but Charlton have been wank under anyone that's not named Alan Curbishley (https://twitter.com/AlansAvailable).

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Hodgson's only stealing a living when he's managing a side that has any sort of expectation weighing down on him. Blackburn when they were competing for the titles? Stealing a living there. Two stints with Inter? Stealing a living there - to the point where the fans pelted him with fucking coins. Liverpool? Oops, I've just reminded myself of the worst period of Liverpool FC I can remember. Let's not talk about his time with Liverpool actually. England? He wasn't McClaren bad... but he wasn't very good either.

But with WBA, Fulham, Palace now, and that Norweigian (was it Norweigian, I'm not going to go wiki him now because I don't want to see us on the list of sides he's managed) and he's not under as much pressure from the fans and suddenly he's pretty fucking good as a manager.

Mark Hughes and Pardew are the worst managers on that list. Hughes just seems totally out of ideas. And Pardew is a terrible long term appointment, as he always loses the fucking plot, but he does seem to give his sides a shot in the arm shortly after joining. Except Charlton - but Charlton have been wank under anyone that's not named Alan Curbishley (https://twitter.com/AlansAvailable).

What a fucking brilliant post xD

• Subscriber

Pellegrino at Southampton is comfortably the favourite to be next for me given that they're actually level on points with Stoke and 17th in the league. Shambolic really when they sacked their last manager for finishing top half and getting a cup final.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Hughes used to play for Man Utd so if they get desperate I can see that happening. 

Agreed. Best fit when Mourinho gets sacked for giving the finger to the board for letting Man City sign players. 

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
On 06/01/2018 at 20:23, Batard said:

Will put money on Hughes rocking up at the next Premier League club to fire their manager. 

Hughes favorite for Southampton job. Honestly this shit writes itself 

On 15/12/2017 at 10:44, Dan said:

I do think if there truly is an issue here then it doesn't help having people like Paul Ince make that point. He's got a shocking track record as a manager, as has John Barnes, makes the whole argument lose credibility to me.

I'm just not convinced. There are loads of black players in English football.

The whole point is that they don't have the same pathways to management as the white players do. Shit managers are appointed everywhere, it doesn't mean Paul Ince doesn't make any valid points.

8 hours ago, Inverted said:

If Southampton hire Hughes they deserve to go down. It's a joke for a club that normally prides itself on not doing the usual moronic shit that most Premier League sides do.

I don't think there's any saving Southampton this season. They hung onto Pellegrino for too long.

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Batard said:

Hughes favorite for Southampton job. Honestly this shit writes itself 

Literally retarded. Hughes isn't even vaguely rated because of the survivalist reputation that keeps Allardyce, Pardew, Pulis in work.

It would be sad to lose even more British managers from the Premier League but if they're shite, they're shite.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Liverpool's fault for nicking all their players :coffee:

Agent Mauricio, helping his former club loot and pillage his current club, and getting it relegated to make any remaining talent (Lemina plz) cheaper :ph34r:

Archived