talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Really Grinds My Gears?

football forum

• Administrator

I like when he's asked about it and he admits 'it wasn't his best move'.

I get the cause of their protest, just utterly abhor the way they go about it.

The other day one of the leaders of the group (not Insulate Britain, another one) said he'd happily block ambulances and paramedics if it meant their message got across.

It's shameful and embarrassing they could go to those lengths. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, nudge said:

Wtf. Fuck entitled idiots like those twats. 

I love milk and that made me die inside a little. I get that they're trying to promote a better world (well at least in their heads) but that should be considered a criminal act with a shot to head considering there are countries out there who don't have access to basic needs, and you have two people who just walked into a store and emptied bottles on a floor. 

Like a friend of mine once said "you will never truly appreciate your freedom until it's taken away from you" 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I love milk and that made me die inside a little. I get that they're trying to promote a better world (well at least in their heads) but that should be considered a criminal act with a shot to head considering there are countries out there who don't have access to basic needs, and you have two people who just walked into a store and emptied bottles on a floor. 

Like a friend of mine once said "you will never truly appreciate your freedom until it's taken away from you" 

I don't like or drink milk, but seeing food being wasted with no reason whatsoever always makes me furious. Those entitled little shits have obviously never faced any sort of food shortage and are completely ignorant about what hunger and food insecurity is. Not to mention that they are too fucking thick to understand that what they do there is the very definition of food waste, which on a large scale hugely exacerbates the very problem they think they are "fighting" against. I bet they went to McDonald's to have lunch and have a laugh about it afterwards, too. Obnoxious stupid twats. 

• Upvote 3

Personally when it comes to climate change i support alot of the stuff protestors do. Blocking roads and chaining themselves to railings is fine if it gets results I think. Disruption is normally the aim of protests. And alot of people who protest aggressively so start of more peacefully but say it didn't work. Damaging private property is a different matter though. Ultimately though I'd have to know what the evidence suggests.  As bad as it sounds if it takes a bit of damage to property to save the planet its worth it. At the same time I still think there has to be consequentses for it. I just think it could be a justifiable crime 

Edited by Gunnersaurus

Just had a quick Google. I mean a quick Google so it might not be that accurate. From what I read disruptive protests do work but violent ones don't normally.  So I would imagine that chaining yourself to railings comes under disruptive. I'm not sure whether damaging property does though.

• Subscriber

Mashed potato thrown over £96,000,000 Monet painting | Metro News

Ffw0QfCXgAAgwNL?format=png&name=small

This is the second one now. I feel like this is a unified effort where they were all given a meal recipe, choose one ingredient and then hit a target. If only they used their coordinated efforts for something better. And yes its getting headlines but its still food wastage so ... fuck them. The day isn't far when art galleries will start putting food up as a display so we can throw priceless pieces of art at them. You can't fix dumb.

• Haha 1

On 25/10/2022 at 06:02, Mel81x said:

Mashed potato thrown over £96,000,000 Monet painting | Metro News

Ffw0QfCXgAAgwNL?format=png&name=small

This is the second one now. I feel like this is a unified effort where they were all given a meal recipe, choose one ingredient and then hit a target. If only they used their coordinated efforts for something better. And yes its getting headlines but its still food wastage so ... fuck them. The day isn't far when art galleries will start putting food up as a display so we can throw priceless pieces of art at them. You can't fix dumb.

This guy glued his head to the Girl with the a Pearl Earring. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Tommy said:

This guy glued his head to the Girl with the a Pearl Earring. 

Man, this is getting a bit silly now. I think art galleries should allow the use of tasers. Make it fun for the staff atleast and give the galleries some free publicity. 

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 2

These Stop Oil Now protests are funded by an oil billionaire, Aileen Getty, which makes me think it's deliberately to make people annoyed and not support environmentalist causes. 

Because these people attacking art has fuck all to do with modern day oil and natural gas consumption, so their "protest" doesn't really make sense.

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

These Stop Oil Now protests are funded by an oil billionaire, Aileen Getty, which makes me think it's deliberately to make people annoyed and not support environmentalist causes. 

Because these people attacking art has fuck all to do with modern day oil and natural gas consumption, so their "protest" doesn't really make sense.

I heard about it, and that would make sense to explain the stupidity of those protests, but it appears that Aileen Getty was never part of the family business, and the Getty Oil was sold a long time ago, with the family not being involved in the fossil fuel industry anymore for decades. So in that sense, she inherited the money that definitely came from oil, but it appears she has been using it to advocate for environmental and social causes, including funding multiple organisations which fight climate change, for most of her life. I mean, I guess it's possible that there's some other agenda hidden in her actions, but it's also just as plausible that those protesters are just really fucking stupid. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nudge said:

I heard about it, and that would make sense to explain the stupidity of those protests, but it appears that Aileen Getty was never part of the family business, and the Getty Oil was sold a long time ago, with the family not being involved in the fossil fuel industry anymore for decades. So in that sense, she inherited the money that definitely came from oil, but it appears she has been using it to advocate for environmental and social causes, including funding multiple organisations which fight climate change, for most of her life. I mean, I guess it's possible that there's some other agenda hidden in her actions, but it's also just as plausible that those protesters are just really fucking stupid. 

Yeah I think there's a high likelihood that the protestors are just fucking idiots based off all that xD

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nudge said:

31 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I think there's a high likelihood that the protestors are just fucking idiots based off all that xD

The problem is that we only know about Getty because she is transparent, and she has a history of philanthropy. Get Oil Out is not transparent, it is definitely decentralised and there are no central figures of authority that can be seen as culpable, there is no paper trail. I'd say it's definitely a psy-op that is predatory to disenfranchised young people that can be radicalised to give climate activism an unhinged and irrational appearance. That sounds like a conspiracy I know, but it is definitely something that happens.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

The problem is that we only know about Getty because she is transparent, and she has a history of philanthropy. Get Oil Out is not transparent, it is definitely decentralised and there are no central figures of authority that can be seen as culpable, there is no paper trail. I'd say it's definitely a psy-op that is predatory to disenfranchised young people that can be radicalised to give climate activism an unhinged and irrational appearance. That sounds like a conspiracy I know, but it is definitely something that happens.

I find it very easy to believe that young, idealistic, and somewhat naïve young people are being taken advantage of by some interested parties with their own agendas; as you said, it does happen. 

20 minutes ago, nudge said:

I find it very easy to believe that young, idealistic, and somewhat naïve young people are being taken advantage of by some interested parties with their own agendas; as you said, it does happen. 

It also raises many questions. Why/how did these kids have the nut to deface a beloved piece of art? How come security was so slow? Does this museum have metal detectors? If so, how did they get tins of soup in? You'd think that security would be thorough and the building would have some sort of screening with such valuable artworks.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

It also raises many questions. Why/how did these kids have the nut to deface a beloved piece of art? How come security was so slow? Does this museum have metal detectors? If so, how did they get tins of soup in? You'd think that security would be thorough and the building would have some sort of screening with such valuable artworks.

They do not really deface any piece of art, all of them are behind the glass. So at worst, there's just some damage to the glass/frame. As for metal detectors and security, I never had to go through any when visiting any museum! On a side note, I'm also pretty sure most of the most famous and expensive artworks on display are actually just replicas, tbh. 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

They do not really deface any piece of art, all of them are behind the glass. So at worst, there's just some damage to the glass/frame. As for metal detectors and security, I never had to go through any when visiting any museum! On a side note, I'm also pretty sure most of the most famous and expensive artworks on display are actually just replicas, tbh. 

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

You've been living in the US for too long. 

It's more that I haven't been to the UK so I don't know if that is a thing due to the high amount of stabbings attacks with knives. And no, I have not been to a museum with metal detectors in the USA, so stop being bigoted against the USA, Tommy. SMH, I'm disappointed in you.

Just now, Spike said:

It's more that I haven't been to the UK so I don't know if that is a thing due to the high amount of stabbings attacks with knives. And no, I have not been to a museum with metal detectors in the USA, so stop being bigoted against the USA, Tommy. SMH, I'm disappointed in you.

You have never been to the UK? :o