Matchday Chat - 16-18th December, 2017

football forum

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
20 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

:whistling:

There was quite an extensive tweet thread about a year ago where someone compared a load of the stereotypes people brandish La Liga with and the Premier League, in the last three years at least, was shown to be far more guilty of said 'offences'. I'll try and find it.

I've always thought the argument about teams getting battered is a load of bollocks as well. Especially recently I'd say it's more down to the top teams not being as good in England - do people really think Barca and Real wouldn't have been capable of sticking 7 or 8 past Sunderland or Aston Villa? 

Haven't won in the last 7 against Swansea I don't think. A lot of draws. 

Can't see there being any changes again. Seem settled on a team at the moment. Would like to see Schneiderlin sit this one out, no sure two sitting midfielders is needed at home to Swansea, drop Rooney back there like against West Ham and have Lennon with either Vlasic or Lookman on the wings. 

As with all games under Allardyce now, it'll be tight. 

• Administrator

Should have been 3 reds in that game for Otamendi, Kane and Alli. 

Consistency the issue again when you see what Pogba was sent off for a couple weeks ago against Arsenal. 

• Subscriber
52 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Christ how lucky were Kane and Alli?

Yeah lucky - wouldn't have cared so much about Alli but losing Kane would have been a huge blow. Kane's was just overstretching for the ball and clearly no malice, and so think yellow was probably right, although had he been sent off would have had no real complaints. Alli although he won the ball was more over the top and he was very fortunate. I don't think he meant it either, just listen to De Bruyne after and he didn't either, but was just stupid to put yourself in that position and he should have gone.

However, typical that those two being highlighted and not a mention of Otamendi (cheers Stan) who also should have seen red for kicking Kane in the face. All in all though rather have players staying on the pitch than not.

On to the game and not really much I can say. City are class - head and shoulders above anyone and fully deserved their win. Could have been far more really so fortunate just to keep it to 4. 

However on the other hand our performance was shocking and questions being asked of Poch again. Firstly we didn't attack Mangala, Delph etc. who lets be honest are not in the same quality as most of that team.

Secondly though we had so many players off form again. Dembele gave one of the worst individual performances I have ever seen. Seriously we have i'd say 70% of our fanbase who laud him - think he's one of our best players etc. He gets more support and individual songs than anyone including Kane and people just got sucked in by his strength and occasional dribbling, forgetting that he usually gives the ball away after that. He's had one good season in 5 for us and yet people still haven't seen that his lack of passing ability, his inability to go forward and his increasing lack of mobility and tracking makes him a liability in the middle of the park. Unfortunately we don't have many options in there, and Winks was almost as bad yesterday as well. We need Wanyama back quickly - or at least Sanchez back so Dier can play midfield. I know he doesn't have many fans on this forum but we also need to bring Barkley in asap in January. A different option in midfield that can do some of things Dembele should be doing is crucial.

The second big one is Trippier. He's shite honestly. Another that seems to actually have a better reputation amongst other fanbases than our own. He can cross...that's about it. He's too slow, he's poor positionally and he doesn't overlap at all. Walker is 10x the player he is and he's a real weak link. Sane had a field day against him and it's not the first time. Aurier is still nowhere near Walker's level at the moment but at least he has the raw potential to play that way. Either way we've weakened the team dramatically and that was always the concern. At the same time we've improved City. 

Finally, players are just so off form. Dier has been good recently but always seems to switch off. Eriksen is a passenger. Alli is non-existent, nothing is working for him. Rose looks a shadow of the player he was. 

The only two players with any credit to their name recently are Harry Kane and Heung Min-Son. Poch needs to sort things out because this is probably the most difficult period so far in his tenure and we have to bounce back over Christmas.

A loss to City in isolation is fine, but that wasn't Poch's Tottenham team we are used to. That was like watching an AVB team - players weren't playing for him. 

A win is important today. We were cruising in this fixture last year until we made a fuck up at the back, then we predictably fell to pieces. If we're on our game, Bournemouth are made for us more than our last couple of opponents and I could see us winning more comfortably than some would expect. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Cicero said:

They've had such a piss easy/convenient schedule too and are only 3 points ahead on 2nd. 

I can't believe how much they held on there against a pretty shocking West Brom side. Didn't exactly intimidate me ahead of next week (although that's totally ignoring yesterday xD)

Just now, Inverted said:

Lovren has such a reputation for being an idiot that he could pull off a vintage Maldini slide and the ref would still give a foul.

Yeah that was probably the single best moment of defending I've seen from Lovren, he did nothing wrong, and the ref called a foul.

I was convinced they'd score lol.

• Administrator

Coutinho goes on a mazy run in to the box, takes on a couple of players and nonchalantly gets one past Begovic to put Liverpool ahead. Good goal.

Nothing wrong with that Lovren foul earlier. Not sure what the officials saw.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived