talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What makes a club’s fans good or bad?

football forum

Brought on by the football chants thread in here, it got me thinking about fans as a collective and how certain teams fans are deemed better than others. 

I was wondering, what is it that makes a team’s fans good? Is it how many they take to away games? How many social media followers they have? How loud they are or is it the standing by a club through its darkest period of its history?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Brought on by the football chants thread in here, it got me thinking about fans as a collective and how certain teams fans are deemed better than others. 

I was wondering, what is it that makes a team’s fans good? Is it how many they take to away games? How many social media followers they have? How loud they are or is it the standing by a club through its darkest period of its history?

this, mainly, for me. 

Fine to enjoy the best times with the club but if you're not there through the bad times, then you're a pretty shit fan.

A fan of the club is there through all the highs and all the lows, not just when they choose to be. 

When things are going well Newcastle United fans must make you feel 10 foot tall, anyone associated with the club is worshipped and anyone that achieves anything more than mediocrity is hailed as a hero.

When things are going bad and when you need your support most though our fans are fucking shite. Away from home we are good and get behind the team no matter what but at home as soon as a pass is misplaced everyone is screaming abuse and kicking off. Rafa said our players were scared to make a mistake last year. Our last two home games have been a fucking disgrace.

Makes me cringe when you see football fans saying that their club have the best support in the world.

15 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

When things are going well Newcastle United fans must make you feel 10 foot tall, anyone associated with the club is worshipped and anyone that achieves anything more than mediocrity is hailed as a hero.

When things are going bad and when you need your support most though our fans are fucking shite. Away from home we are good and get behind the team no matter what but at home as soon as a pass is misplaced everyone is screaming abuse and kicking off. Rafa said our players were scared to make a mistake last year. Our last two home games have been a fucking disgrace.

Makes me cringe when you see football fans saying that their club have the best support in the world.

The sarcastic cheers at Diame on Saturday were a disgrace.

Rafa has been trying to tell the fans to calm the fuck down since he got here. We need to start challenging and calling out the toxic lot there and then in the stands. The bloke behind me keeps shouting for everyone to calm down.

The two words "hard lines" seem to have been lost from the football vocabulary.

33 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

The sarcastic cheers at Diame on Saturday were a disgrace.

Rafa has been trying to tell the fans to calm the fuck down since he got here. We need to start challenging and calling out the toxic lot there and then in the stands. The bloke behind me keeps shouting for everyone to calm down.

The two words "hard lines" seem to have been lost from the football vocabulary.

I dislike Diame, he is piss poor and clearly lazy as fuck. However totally agree that it was bang out of order. Great way of giving the lad confidence.

Sadly I think there are too many wankers to confront. I will lose it at some point and end up yarking someone. 

Social media makes our fan base look like a bunch of absolute cretins. It vindicates the likes of Craig Bellamy and Graeme Souness. 

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this up in what may be a controversial post, but I feel like I'm in loops.

I'm a journalist and I try to keep my Peruvian team (Universitario) a secret, but I haven't actually lost my love for them. So that brings the question, some people who don't support local clubs and say they "follow" more than one club, does one ever feel invested in one over the other during spells?

Its weird but I feel its because of the way I was introduced to football. I'm a Perth, Napoli fan and an Universitario supporter, which I'm going to the ground on friday for the Copa Libertadores. I look forward to it.

I am obviously really invested in Perth at the moment, probably at the worst time though xD

Basically the support and the passion are what make fans great or shit. No fans are more passionate than us here. But many tend to crucify players for one bad streak or season despite having delivered in say 3 other seasons, that is, unless you're an idol of course. But i suppose that happens everywhere, specially at big clubs.

1 hour ago, Berserker said:

Basically the support and the passion are what make fans great or shit. No fans are more passionate than us here. But many tend to crucify players for one bad streak or season despite having delivered in say 3 other seasons, that is, unless you're an idol of course. But i suppose that happens everywhere, specially at big clubs.

Everybody says that.

You get a lot of fans talk about how big their club is and every club has these melts. Take for example a look across twitter and you will find Fulham fans go on about how big they are compared to us or QPR, you'll hear the same from QPR fans and most likely the same from us as well.

The point of the above is that it's moronic to try and claim how big you are compared to another club when you are in fact a small club anyway. There will be Brentford fans for example who will bring up that we generally get better away support to matches than Fulham whenever they bring up the ground size or PL/EL runs, and yeah it's great and all but fuck me we're still a small club in west London and all three of us are in comparison to Chelsea. Being a slightly "bigger" club than your other small club rivals is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard people argue about.

Theres plenty of reasons why you could say some clubs support is good and some isn't, Brentford for example will never be a club that takes 2-3k around the country, all stood up and singing. We're too small a club, being small doesn't make us shit, it may make it less exciting for bigger clubs but we're 1 out of 4 clubs in west London and have to put up with losing support to your Chelseas, Arsenals and Spurs. Compare that to a one club city that has no competition for support or even a 2 club city and of course we'll be miles behind in gates.

In general I don't really give a shit of someone thinks we're good or shit, there are times when we take 1k-3k on the road and sing and stand all game and home crowds are impressed little old Brentford could do that, then there are times we take that amount of support and the atmosphere is dull and the home support probably think tinpot Brentford. Sometimes it'll just be the 300 odd hardcore going up to Yorkshire on a Tuesday night. Who gives a fuck.

The one club in England who deserve all the shit they get are Franchise FC.

• Subscriber

Genuine passion and fans who'll not abide by this "I'll make a noise if I'm entertained" mentality I hear from so many. Fans who try to lift the players rather than the other way round. Saying that, that doesn't mean stand for absolute shit on the pitch either. Is it really good support of a club to stand for under-performance?

Leeds for example are rated as fans because they take thousands anywhere, anytime, and vocally get behind their side regardless of the amount of shit they've had over the years. Their away support is an example to follow.

The majority however just aren't like that.

Ours went through a phase of being really supportive. I think the great escape was about the best I've ever heard our fans. Never heard our ground like it other than in the Champions League. It was good in the title year too (most of the time) but it wasn't quite at the great escape level for me.

Think last season though was the lowest opinion I've ever had of our fans. Away support was absolutely embarrassing in terms of noise. I really do think we had so many hop on the bandwagon that diluted the atmosphere somewhat. It's better this year but still room for improvement.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

You get a lot of fans talk about how big their club is and every club has these melts. Take for example a look across twitter and you will find Fulham fans go on about how big they are compared to us or QPR, you'll hear the same from QPR fans and most likely the same from us as well.

The point of the above is that it's moronic to try and claim how big you are compared to another club when you are in fact a small club anyway. There will be Brentford fans for example who will bring up that we generally get better away support to matches than Fulham whenever they bring up the ground size or PL/EL runs, and yeah it's great and all but fuck me we're still a small club in west London and all three of us are in comparison to Chelsea. Being a slightly "bigger" club than your other small club rivals is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard people argue about.

Theres plenty of reasons why you could say some clubs support is good and some isn't, Brentford for example will never be a club that takes 2-3k around the country, all stood up and singing. We're too small a club, being small doesn't make us shit, it may make it less exciting for bigger clubs but we're 1 out of 4 clubs in west London and have to put up with losing support to your Chelseas, Arsenals and Spurs. Compare that to a one club city that has no competition for support or even a 2 club city and of course we'll be miles behind in gates.

In general I don't really give a shit of someone thinks we're good or shit, there are times when we take 1k-3k on the road and sing and stand all game and home crowds are impressed little old Brentford could do that, then there are times we take that amount of support and the atmosphere is dull and the home support probably think tinpot Brentford. Sometimes it'll just be the 300 odd hardcore going up to Yorkshire on a Tuesday night. Who gives a fuck.

The one club in England who deserve all the shit they get are Franchise FC.

One thing I've noticed so much since getting promoted is how much Championship side's fans argue about attendances and away numbers, and I was hugely guilty of this when we were there too.

Just now, Dan said:

One thing I've noticed so much since getting promoted is how much Championship side's fans argue about attendances and away numbers, and I was hugely guilty of this when we were there too.

What else do we have to argue about eh? 😂

Even forget the smaller clubs, when clubs like Leeds, Sheff Utd and Wednesday, Forest, Derby and Brum for years can't organise a piss up in a brewery let alone a decent football team considering the size of the clubs, what else do the fans have to argue about because it ain't how good they are.

• Subscriber
Just now, Danny said:

What else do we have to argue about eh? 😂

Even forget the smaller clubs, when clubs like Leeds, Sheff Utd and Wednesday, Forest, Derby and Brum for years can't organise a piss up in a brewery let alone a decent football team considering the size of the clubs, what else do the fans have to argue about because it ain't how good they are.

I think a lot of it is down to that really. They know there's any so much they can brag about while in that league on the pitch so they resort to the arguments off it. It's always funny reading those arguments. Reminds me of the ones I used to have xD

Support can turn for some clubs. We had some absolutely shocking away numbers about 10/11 years ago. Pretty sure we once took about 200 to Plymouth which for us is horrendous. Nowadays I reckon we'd probably manage to take about four times that there for a friendly. I definitely think following a team away from home is a culture that's grown again in recent years. Even sides like Watford and Burnley had brought some good numbers here in recent years when previously they'd be lucky to get 500.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

I think a lot of it is down to that really. They know there's any so much they can brag about while in that league on the pitch so they resort to the arguments off it. It's always funny reading those arguments. Reminds me of the ones I used to have xD

Support can turn for some clubs. We had some absolutely shocking away numbers about 10/11 years ago. Pretty sure we once took about 200 to Plymouth which for us is horrendous. Nowadays I reckon we'd probably manage to take about four times that there for a friendly. I definitely think following a team away from home is a culture that's grown again in recent years. Even sides like Watford and Burnley had brought some good numbers here in recent years when previously they'd be lucky to get 500.

Watford are Premier League now and in fairness Watford is a fairly big isolated place that also takes support from North West London.

7 hours ago, Spike said:

Everybody says that.

Watch some videos of our fans and then comment again, most chants singed in most countries are robbed from us. For example this one, that was copied by even Turk fans that named it Cildirin or something like that.

7 hours ago, Berserker said:

Watch some videos of our fans and then comment again, most chants singed in most countries are robbed from us. For example this one, that was copied by even Turk fans that named it Cildirin or something like that.

I've watched docos on Argentine clibs, I know all that but it wasn't my point.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I've watched docos on Argentine clibs, I know all that but it wasn't my point.

They aren't just the most passionate at football though.

The Argentinians are always jumping and chanting. At football, rugby, music concerts etc. They always fill up and are very passionate. Its the most outgoing country in the world, I'd say.

Archived