talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Net Neutrality

football forum

• Subscriber

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/goodbye-net-neutrality-ajit-pais-fcc-votes-to-allow-blocking-and-throttling/

It's breaking all over the world right now because of how much attention its drummed up over the last few years. Seems like its going to go through and when it does things will get very interesting. Would you pay to fast-lane websites you really want more than others? I don't know who else has been following this but its a little insane imo and benefits no one except the ISPs in the end.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the cocksuckers that passed this die in a fucking house fire. They've ruined everything, now the internet will become pay-TV 2.0. Fucking disgusting, I hate it. The Republicans should take a cyanide pill and bite it, there is nothing 'Republican' about this; it's 100% anti-free market and a restriction of freedom.

This reduces market competition and opens up a world of monopolisation for the biggest and strongest companies. Oh, you use Netflix instead of HBO GO? Too bad because HBO is a subsidiary of our ISP and we are going to throttle Netflix.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Spike said:

I hope the cocksuckers that passed this die in a fucking house fire. They've ruined everything, now the internet will become pay-TV 2.0. Fucking disgusting, I hate it. The Republicans should take a cyanide pill and bite it, there is nothing 'Republican' about this; it's 100% anti-free market and a restriction of freedom.

This reduces market competition and opens up a world of monopolisation for the biggest and strongest companies. Oh, you use Netflix instead of HBO GO? Too bad because HBO is a subsidiary of our ISP and we are going to throttle Netflix.

That whole fiasco last year during GoT when the servers couldn't handle the traffic is going to seem like a joke when fast-laning becomes a reality. Everyone thinks (by everyone in mean Republicans) that nothing is going to change. Wrong. So very wrong. The good news is that this won't be left unchallenged and one can only hope something does change.

It is kind of funny at the end of the day. It's giving up 'government regulations' for 'corporate regulations'. The government is deregulating the internet (a good thing, fuck regulations) and in turn is giving more power to the ISPs (bad thing for the consumer).

Hopefully throttling happens at a minimum (I can only see it happening in very limited cases, think areas with only a single ISP available). Companies have to remain aggressively competitive so some may choose to advertise 'NO THROTTLING' making their ISP more attractive to consumers. I can definitely see the upside to this as well as the downside.

@Mel81x

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, nudge said:

ELI5? Seen it being mentioned everywhere, never really bothered to learn what exactly it is about.

Not the same I think. Thats the electro wave thing?

4 hours ago, Spike said:

It is kind of funny at the end of the day. It's giving up 'government regulations' for 'corporate regulations'. The government is deregulating the internet (a good thing, fuck regulations) and in turn is giving more power to the ISPs (bad thing for the consumer).

Hopefully throttling happens at a minimum (I can only see it happening in very limited cases, think areas with only a single ISP available). Companies have to remain aggressively competitive so some may choose to advertise 'NO THROTTLING' making their ISP more attractive to consumers. I can definitely see the upside to this as well as the downside.

@Mel81x

The last part you said might be where things get interesting. If two ISPs are duking it out then they have to claim that they don't throttle to entice more customers. I wonder if server infrastructure for international audiences gets an impact here in a weird way too. If lets say Comcast was the one with the infrastructure  outwards for NetFlix on the west coast and that was the cross conn to the rest of the world could they throttle that? After all they are under no obligation to keep that clean  right?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Nah I meant ELI5 = "Explain like I'm 5" xD 

What's Net Neutrality in a nutshell?

You youngsters and your fancy acronyms lol

Here's it in a nutshell (thanks Wikipedia)

"Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers must treat all data on the Internet the same, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication.[4] For instance, under these principles, internet service providers are unable to intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content."

As an example, lets say you use Netflix in the country you're in (basically Amurica for now) and the service provider has their own digital service who is an actual partner airing the same show. Now, they can throttle Netflix to make it seem like the issue is with Netflix but the reality is that they are promoting their own service and going against the terms of net neutrality. How does this affect people worldwide? Well someone is gating all that data from going outwards and all these services are on an ISP of their choice. Once the ISP gets free reign to do what they want the end population gets jacked no matter where they are in the world. 

Archived