talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Antoine Griezmann renews his contract with Atlético Madrid

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Arthur will probably start ahead of Rakitic at some point. 

Alena is an absolute shame and will flourish where ever he goes. 

Indeed... Aleña is ready now and he can’t wait. Although in saying this, Iniesta waited an age for his proper first team place and he had patience. It works both ways and we forget that not all just get in there straight away. One this is making your debut but another is when you’re consecrated as a regular. Xavi had to wait for Guardiola to leave to Italy. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atletico Madrid chief Miguel Angel Gil Marin has heavily criticised Barcelona over their pursuit of Antoine Griezmann, saying he was "fed up" with their attitude.

Marin issued his strongly-worded rebuke hours after a Spanish radio station reported that Barcelona were poised to pay the French international's 100 million euro release clause.

The Atletico CEO said the club's stance was very clear regarding Griezmann, who has been strongly linked with a move to the Liga champions summer.

2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

11 hours ago, SirBalon said:

According to rumours, FC Barcelona could be about to activate Antoine Griezmann's buy-out clause so as to end the situation as soon as possible. This according to inside information coming from within the Barça camp.

On another note, Atlético Madrid are absolutely furious with Barça for the manner they've (Barcelona) been leaking information to the press and making public statements which has put an immense amount of pressure on the negotiations Atlético Madrid were trying to orchestrate in the attempt to keep Griezmann at the club. Atleti vice-president Gil-Marin said in a public statement that Atleti are sick and tired with Barça's attitude and that the excellent relationship between both clubs is being stretched to the limit.

Posted it this morning mate.  Looks like Atleti are pretty pissed and the great relationship both clubs is being severely tested by this Barcelona board.

18 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

£88m buy out clause seems prrtty cheap. Im surprised more Premiership clubs haven't activated it.

You also have to get his agreement to go to the club that wants to activate the buy-out clause.  From what I understand, several Premier League clubs have been trying to sign him with Man Utd coming closest last summer but he then backed out and signed a new deal at Atleti where his buy-out clause was slightly reduced.

I'm not sure how this would all be Barcelona's fault? If Barcelona don't buy him, then someone else will(nobody would bat an eyelid then) and when a player has such a low clause(in today's market) then it's natural to go in for them. It's Atletico's own fault for having such a shit clause. If they think that would fend off potential suitors then they are idiots.

Real Madrid have a much stronger squad overall than Barça. A few quality signings are needed and in terms of Griezmann, he already knows La Liga. In fact, it's all he knows as he's been playing in Spanish football all his career. There would be less risks.

As for the signing itself, if it was at the expense of Dembele falling down the pecking order(or even worse, being sold) then I'd be way against it to be honest. Dembele has more natural talent about him than Griezmann ever had back when he was the same age at Real Sociedad and I was always a big fan of Griezmann back then.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that Griezmann was then whistled by the fans on the last game of the season.

I have quite a bit of exclusive info on this particular situation which is looking very uncertain as the days draw on. But I  haven’t got time to post it all now. 

Almost forgot about this...

Anyway, the info and situation surrounding Antoine Griezmann right now is that there's a status quo with some sources saying he may stay and others saying he will move to Barça.

Apparently a verbal agreement was reached between Griezmann himself, his agent and FC Barcelona some months back.  Since then Atlético Madrid have tried everything to get him to change his mind which they knew was a firm decision to move to Barça.

After that they (Atleti) laid off a bit on the convincing stakes and waited to see if winning the Europa League (if this occurred) that they could use the emotion of the situation to change his mind.  Sources from within say that he did change his mind especially when Miguel Ángel Gil Marín, Diego Simeone and Diego Godín all three went around Griezmann's house to try and convince him.  They apparently came out of his house with an almost firm yes with a substantial pay rise that some sources are saying he would get a whopping €25m per season!  Much much more than Barça have offered him or are willing to offer him... I'll add to this that apparently the pay rise isn't the reason he gave his apparent yes, but that his wife is very happy living in Madrid and his sister who is his agent also prefers him to stay in Madrid.

But apparently his parents prefer his move to Barcelona and his father holds a lot of weight in these things... But the once again change of opinion hasn't come from family influences but a combination of three factors. 

Firstly the whistling he received in the final game of the season from the Atleti fans in the game against Eibar.  The fans whistled him because they continued to believe that Giezmann was definitely leaving and the news leak on his apparent change of mind hadn't yet filtered out.  Secondly he has apparently always dreamed of playing for Barça since he was a child and this leads onto the final factor which is he apparently called Messi himself and Messi told him that his inclusion would be extremely welcome at Barça and that he would love to see him arrive there.  This actually goes along with an interview held with Messi in Argentina the other day where he said that Griezmann is a very special player when asked about the rumours on him possibly going to Barça.

Finally yesterday Didier Deschamps made a public statement due to the the garage of questions on Griezmann's future.  Deschamps wanted to put to rest all of this distabilising talk before the World Cup starts and the fact that if Barça were to sign Griezmann, it would be never before the 1st of July as that is when his buy-out clause returns to €100m all the way down from €250m. The World Cup will have started by then so Deschamps said Griezmann will be making an announcement on his future before the World Cup starts and definitely before the 1st of July.

The latest rumours are that he will go to Barça and that this is his firm decision although some sources state that he could change his mind still.

The mystery continues...

8 hours ago, bozziovai said:

him staying would be best for him.     Atletico is a team that's strong and can win him titles, europa being the latest and the bride's maid twice in the UCL.    so, what more could he ask for ??

He won't be going to Barcelona as a sub so I'd say playing in a more attacking team with a better shot of winning La Liga and Champions League, along with playing with some of the world's best, in one of the most iconic stadiums in the world for one of the most historic club's in the world and being able to be part of their history like other superstars have done, would definitely be worth more.

I always take these things with a pinch of salt although in Spain they're always wary of the main promotional publicity a club releases for their new football strip. In this case we're talking Atlético Madrid and their current insignia which is Antoine Griezmann.  He doesn't feature in the promo spot or poster for next season's Atleti strip and the club have instead gone for Saúl, Diego Costa and Lucas Hernández.

1527153933499.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The latest rumours surrounding the future of Antoine Griezmann suggest that he could be about to renew with Atlético Madrid and sign the €25m a year deal he has on the table at the Metropolitano.

Nobody knows for sure and it’s all guess work because absolutely nothing is coming out from either Griezmann or his entourage no matter how much they’re hounded by the press with questions on his immediate future.

So why this rumour?

Where does it have it’s foundations on the maybe Griezmann might stay?

Well what the journalists are now doing is digging out snitches at both FC Barcelona and Atlético Madrid.

At Atleti they have found out that there’s been various visits from those in charge of their finances over the past few days and also the fact that those advisors have been having long meetings with those that have the responsibility of redacting and formulating player contracts. The deal Griezmann apparently has on the table at Atleti waiting to sign is a deal that competes with anything the biggest players on the planet are earning and so the arrival at this hypothesis that Antoine may be staying.

Following Barcelona’s movements... Well in this case the journalists that are stalking every move of the technical director (Robert Fernández) who has been in France for over a week and has been dealing with the Umtiti renewal (sorted) and the Antoine Griezmann signing... Well after Umtiti renewed Robert Fernández returned to Barcelona and was spotted speaking to people from Liverpool in a restaurant in a small Catalan town called Roses. From there El Confidencial (a prestigious Spanish investigative newspaper) put a reporter on every movement of Mo Salah and his people. Curiously they were in time to spot a meeting with one of the men in charge of Barça that deals with the US market and works in New York...  An odd move if this is the case by Barcelona because his job isn’t involving the negotiations of signings but the reporters are saying that both Atleti and Barça have been aware of their technical team being followed and people they meet later hounded for any available information.

Complicted?  Bloody hell!

But this is how rumours are generated by the press in some cases.

Anyway... Not long to wait as Antoine Griezmann promised that he would make a public announcement on his future before the World Cup commences. So until then we have a battle of the newspapers as to who can come up with the big headline first. 

• Subscriber

I think it's great if he stays at Atleti. Having him move to Barcelona would have been one of the most predictable and boring major transfers of recent years, really wouldn't catch my imagination at all.

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think it's great if he stays at Atleti. Having him move to Barcelona would have been one of the most predictable and boring major transfers of recent years, really wouldn't catch my imagination at all.

Even though I would’ve really loved to have seen Griezmann at Barcelona because it could’ve been a lambasting trio of attackers in Messi, Suárez and Griezmann. The other side of me sees the importance of someone as big as Antoine Griezmann staying at a club like Atlético Madrid, beating off the lure of the all powerful FC Barcelona as a feat of uncalculable significance to football.

If the rumour he is staying is actually true (which I believe due to the Lemar move to Atleti being imminent), it won’t be forgotten in a hurry when for the first time in decades we see a small ray of sunshine coming back into football and that “the other clubs which are also great” can once again play amongst the giants.

Although it has to be said that Atleti have had to offer Griezmann a contract that rivals anything out there at any club anywhere. 

Griezmann’s press conference is due to be held at 13:30 bst (in just over 15 minutes time) and it’s more than certain now that he will be announcing that he will be signing his new blockbuster deal with Atlético Madrid and in so doing, turn down Barça and a verbal agreement he had with La Liga Champions since September last year.

Antoine Griezmann has just published an ad spot of himself in Atlético Madrid’s new PUMA kit which practically tells us what’s going to occur. 

Can you believe this guy! xDxD

I like him even more than ever I did which was already alot! Hahaha

He’s taking everyone for a ride and most of all the press which is great to see.

”I just decided right now that today’s not the day to announce my future!”

7 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Can you believe this guy! xDxD

I like him even more than ever I did which was already alot! Hahaha

He’s taking everyone for a ride and most of all the press which is great to see.

”I just decided right now that today’s not the day to announce my future!”

The little tease.

3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The little tease.

I was watching it live... A record was broken in the amount of journalists attending a World Cup press conference (182 journalists) for the opportunity to click the button first with the news everyone's been waiting for.

So yes... Indeed a tease!  Even Italy's Rai1 interrupted the news to bring the press conference live and it doesn't even include them.  xD

Archived