talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Antoine Griezmann renews his contract with Atlético Madrid

7 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

This sums this well, in my opinion. What happened was a total lack of respect with Atleti and its fans. I wonder how @Kowabunga feels about this.

It totally get that tweet and have sympathies with it until the ending which is everything I've been going on about in the Lopetegui being sacked by the RFEF thread...  Why add that?  You see?  Like they like to thump in your face in Spain with an odd look on their face...

"Spain is different" It sure is.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It totally get that tweet and have sympathies with it until the ending which is everything I've been going on about in the Lopetegui being sacked by the RFEF thread...  Why add that?  You see?  Like they like to thump in your face in Spain with an odd look on their face...

"Spain is different" It sure is.

No, see the continuation, It´s not a dig on Barcelona. On the contrary, what he´s saying is that he doesn´t like  two great institutions like Barcelona and Atlético being ridiculed in such a way: 

Just now, El Profesor said:

No, see the continuation, It´s not a dig on Barcelona. On the contrary, what he´s saying is that he doesn´t two great institutions like Barcelona and Atlético being ridiculed in such a way: 

It's a dig at Piqué mate. He is the villain of everything anti-Spain in the country when Infact its the total opposite with him. Infact a coach has just acted in a treacherous manner while he has always stayed faithful to the national team while his fans whistle him in different stadiums within the country when representing Spain. 

I get and have sympathy with everything else.  Griezmann could've done things differently but as far as I have been made aware, he didn't make up his mind completely until two days ago, hence the two versions of the video.

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Just sat in the bar, stunned.

As mich as I would've loved him to go to Barça because he's one of my favourite players. This genuinely is something tremendous for football!

Think about it.... It's hope for everyone else!

Atlético Madrid live in the same house as two of the most humongous Giants in the sport (Real and Barça)... One of the two invited him to join them and he stayed with a club that 5 years ago had the same budget as Swansea City.

21 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I saw that one amongst a few others  the other day. Very endearing!

To be honest, Griezmann is a player and a character I’ve like for a long time. There’s something about him that I just can’t deny I really like... Also an tremendous footballer. 

I think it is because it looks like he has fun when he plays.

48 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

This sums this well, in my opinion. What happened was a total lack of respect with Atleti and its fans. I wonder how @Kowabunga feels about this.

I haven't watched it, actually. But I don't need it. Cringeful idea and a serious lack of respect.

That said, aside from just Griezmann, Piqué should be stoned with bigger rocks by Barça fans for this.

EDIT: Just confirming I've asked for the stoning of two footballers online and none of them is costa rican.

• Administrator

why does there have to be some grand announcement or video about it all? Do players feel like they don't get enough attention as it is? Just deal with it all privately then let the club announce it like they used to :/ ?

If anything, I bet Gil and Cerezo are rubbing their hands together about this. Especially Cerezo given his cinematic background. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing is encouraged because look at the attention and spotlight Atletico has gotten in the last few days. That is prime marketing right there, putting Atleti in the social media zeitgeist is nothing but $$$. Drama sells. 

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

As mich as I would've loved him to go to Barça because he's one of my favourite players. This genuinely is something tremendous for football!

Think about it.... It's hope for everyone else!

Atlético Madrid live in the same house as two of the most humongous Giants in the sport (Real and Barça)... One of the two invited him to join them and he stayed with a club that 5 years ago had the same budget as Swansea City.

Well, not really. It's slightly more hope for some people I suppose but it isn't as if we're talking about Middlesbrough, Cagliari or Las Palmas here.

30 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

I haven't watched it, actually. But I don't need it. Cringeful idea and a serious lack of respect.

That said, aside from just Griezmann, Piqué should be stoned with bigger rocks by Barça fans for this.

EDIT: Just confirming I've asked for the stoning of two footballers online and none of them is costa rican.

I don't think Gerard Piqué gives a damn to be honest. Barcelona fans may be upset but the supporters will be giving off a wry smile and I'll explain why.

First of all Piqué as we all know is retiring from the Spain national side after this World Cup, but this coming season will also be his last for the club (FC Barcelona) as he doesn't feel the will to play anymore after this one final campaign (yep, you heard it here first, Piqué will be retiring from competitive football).

He profoundly dislikes the board of directors but that doesn't mean he doesn't love the club as much as anyone else could do.  His family goes back generations connected to the club and it couldn't be any other way.

Aside from football he is an entrepreneur with countless businesses... Incredibly even though both Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo earn more, he (Piqué) is worth three times what they are overall.

Finally that leads me onto his production company which was used for the documentary Antoine Griezmann had made for his announcement (an announcement that @Spike rightly says, benefits Atlético Madrid and not the other way around, massively).  Yes it's owned by Gerard Piqué (Griezmann isn't the only one that's using Piqué's production company by the way) and indeed Piqué had already seen the TWO versions of the decision documentary.... The one where he says he stays and the one where he simply says he won't be renewing but thanks Atleti and their fans without saying where he would be going (due to the date of the buy-out clause going down from €200m to €100m on the 1st of July).  But at no moment did Piqué know what version would be used and what Griezmann's final decision was.  That final part is important and once again we have the country using OTHER motives to use THIS as a stick to beat someone with where no justifiable reasons are actually there for this sentiment.

All in all this was rather entertaining in my view and benefitted most parties except for FC Barcelona the Barcelona board who were using it for the incoming vote of censure from Víctor Font to once again elongate their tenure.

We should always look deeper into things before making up our minds and this isn't directed at you mate, but you well know what I mean.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Well, not really. It's slightly more hope for some people I suppose but it isn't as if we're talking about Middlesbrough, Cagliari or Las Palmas here.

To be able to run we first must learn to walk mate.  ;)

• Subscriber
Just now, SirBalon said:

To be able to run we first must learn to walk mate.  ;)

Yeah I mean, these things happen but look at Southampton and Van Dijk where they had this great victory by warding off Liverpool in the summer and keeping their captain. Turned out he was shite and they sold him anyway to cut their losses. Then same with Liverpool seeing off Barcelona over Coutinho last summer but he ended up forcing the move within 6 months anyway.

I'm not saying the same will happen here with Griezmann, seems like he'll genuinely stay, but I also don't think this is sending shockwaves through world football that will see players suddenly be inspired to stay loyal to their current employers.

9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah I mean, these things happen but look at Southampton and Van Dijk where they had this great victory by warding off Liverpool in the summer and keeping their captain. Turned out he was shite and they sold him anyway to cut their losses. Then same with Liverpool seeing off Barcelona over Coutinho last summer but he ended up forcing the move within 6 months anyway.

I'm not saying the same will happen here with Griezmann, seems like he'll genuinely stay, but I also don't think this is sending shockwaves through world football that will see players suddenly be inspired to stay loyal to their current employers.

It is also very different for Atleti than a team like Southampton. Atleti are 'las pupas'; always the brides-maid, always the loser, always failing in dramatic fashion. This is a moral victory for the club, it shows they can withstand Barcelona and Real Madrid; much like Tottenham resisting Chelsea for Modrić. Atleti have always been an important club in Spain, but nit so important to stand up against the successful clubs. With this, they've shown the can win the league, the can go to the Santiago Bernabeau and win, and they've shown that their players can so no to Barcelona.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Indeed there are many details that can be looked upon in two different ways, the positive and the slightly more negative with this deal having been successful for Atleti and the relevance of every other club, mainly those clubs that once were competitive maybe 30 years back.

Griezmann has been offered a hefty €20m to €25m a year deal from Atleit which competes with anything any of the few elite clubs are paying their top stars.  That's the negative perspective to one side...

But we can't always just look plainly at what's written on the face side of a document that tells a longer story if we continue to read and take note.

On the positive side, Griezmann KNOWS that playing for Atlético Madrid isn't the same and doesn't bring in the hyperbolic bLockbuster benefits it would do by moving to one of the few mega giants.  All the outside benefits, all of the exposure which lends itself to mega deals outside life at the club he plays for currently.

It's a growth project that if done correctly is accessible to many of Europe's once big clubs to once again join the race... From there on things start to trickle down the ladder to others because they all compete against each other.  It's a slow process full of many minuscule details that should be adhered to one by one without missing a single one.  Atlético Madrid just over 5 years ago (as I said in a previous post) when they reached their first of their two recent Champions League a Finals, had a budget that resembled that of Swansea City who were in the Premier League at the time.  Look at Atleti now!

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Spike said:

It is also very different for Atleti than a team like Southampton. Atleti are 'las pupas'; always the brides-maid, always the loser, always failing in dramatic fashion. This is a moral victory for the club, it shows they can withstand Barcelona and Real Madrid; much like Tottenham resisting Chelsea for Modrić. Atleti have always been an important club in Spain, but nit so important to stand up against the successful clubs. With this, they've shown the can win the league, the can go to the Santiago Bernabeau and win, and they've shown that their players can so no to Barcelona.

I don't understand Spain and La Liga as well as many others on this forum but in the last 5(ish) years they've literally won the league, reached the Champions League final and won the Europa League this year (and one other recent year?) which isn't the same as Spurs at all.

Edit - reading back I don't think I've made my point clear. What I'm saying is that as far as underdog situations go, this looks to me like the smallest underdog situation possible, in that yes it's a moral victory for a smaller club winning out over a bigger one, but Atleti's situation is better than nearly every other club in world football including the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, the Milan clubs, arguably Manchester United. I just dont think many clubs will be looking at this believing maybe we can keep our best players in future too.

48 minutes ago, Stan said:

why does there have to be some grand announcement or video about it all? Do players feel like they don't get enough attention as it is? Just deal with it all privately then let the club announce it like they used to :/ ?

Yeah what is this stupid shite.

39 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't understand Spain and La Liga as well as many others on this forum but in the last 5(ish) years they've literally won the league, reached the Champions League final and won the Europa League this year (and one other recent year?) which isn't the same as Spurs at all.

Edit - reading back I don't think I've made my point clear. What I'm saying is that as far as underdog situations go, this looks to me like the smallest underdog situation possible, in that yes it's a moral victory for a smaller club winning out over a bigger one, but Atleti's situation is better than nearly every other club in world football including the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, the Milan clubs, arguably Manchester United. I just dont think many clubs will be looking at this believing maybe we can keep our best players in future too.

That is all new! Before Cholo; Atletico were a perennial loser club yo-yoing up and down La Liga ladder, sometimes flirting with relegation, and sometime going all the way through relegation. The culture of Atletico is 'losing' as that is what they do best; and only now they've been spoilt with their success. Keeping Griezmann is the final act of christening that maube they are no longer 'las pupas' and this isn't just a brief moment of success but can stand on equal footing with Real Madrid and Barcelona. I am not saying that they are an 'underdog' at all, I'm saying that a club can evolve past to what it used to be, and keeping Griezmann is a huge moment; they've kept a superstar and through their own means. 

Just imagine, this would have been impossible before Cholo, they couldn't keep Fernando Torres, they couldn't keep Sergio Aguero, they couldn't keep Radamel Falcao, and even Diego Costa was prized away from them. 

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

How did he even process that in his head without thinking "something might be wrong here" 

Probably because he has a few French-African friends and they probably thought it was hilarious and egged him on and joked about it.  The stupid part was putting it on social media. 

I can just imagine a group of guys sitting around half-drunk thinking ti's the funniest shit ever.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Spike said:

That is all new! Before Cholo; Atletico were a perennial loser club yo-yoing up and down La Liga ladder, sometimes flirting with relegation, and sometime going all the way through relegation. The culture of Atletico is 'losing' as that is what they do best; and only now they've been spoilt with their success. Keeping Griezmann is the final act of christening that maube they are no longer 'las pupas' and this isn't just a brief moment of success but can stand on equal footing with Real Madrid and Barcelona. I am not saying that they are an 'underdog' at all, I'm saying that a club can evolve past to what it used to be, and keeping Griezmann is a huge moment; they've kept a superstar and through their own means. 

Just imagine, this would have been impossible before Cholo, they couldn't keep Fernando Torres, they couldn't keep Sergio Aguero, they couldn't keep Radamel Falcao, and even Diego Costa was prized away from them. 

Im with you more now.

"Another way of seeing the life of a footballer and his doubts in relation to making the most important decision of his career.  Thank you to the team at Kosmos Studios and especially Antoine Griezmann for these last few weeks.  You decided to stay at Atleti and I wish you a great season!"

Here you have "The Decision" video on Piqué's Twitter account.

"And remember one thing. There'll be people that will criticise him because everything new generates a sensation of rejection.  But the reflection 'The Decision' leaves is that at times not everything they sell you is the truth.  Goodnight."

Archived