talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

CRISPR Gene editing - The Next Step in Human Evolution?

football forum

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Yea it is to be honest.. I also take their point about money going in to it that might be better used elsewhere but could we really afford to not see if it could be done??? 

I can't even describe how much I hate the money argument... Heard it so many times when it comes to space exploration, too. It's such a short-term thinking by people who don't realise that funding advancement of science and technology in general is what makes our lives better and opens the door to new discoveries in other fields as well. Investment in research and development is hardly ever a waste of money. 

Anyway, we're talking about amounts that barely even matter here. They should rather complain about the global military expenditure - those almost 3 TRILLION dollars could definitely be put to better use...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nudge said:

They should rather complain about the global military expenditure - those almost 3 TRILLION dollars could definitely be put to better use...

Hard to argue against that point, When you look at the spending going on there then it would be chicken feed by comparison so it does counter that argument completely. I don't think they would be short of funding for a major project like that though or any future projects for that matter. This has the potential for a milder/safer version of Jurassic Park.. The idea turned to reality 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Hard to argue against that point, When you look at the spending going on there then it would be chicken feed by comparison so it does counter that argument completely. I don't think they would be short of funding for a major project like that though or any future projects for that matter. This has the potential for a milder/safer version of Jurassic Park.. The idea turned to reality 

Haha, imagine bringing the dinosaurs back... Would break havoc in all existing ecosystems, most likely xD 

I want dodo birds and sabre toothed tigers!

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Haha, imagine bringing the dinosaurs back... Would break havoc in all existing ecosystems, most likely xD 

I want dodo birds and sabre toothed tigers!

Yea, and others would want T-Rex and Velociraptors... xD

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

The technique: Ten genes in the donor pig were altered before the transplant could take place. Three of these genes cause human bodies to reject pig organs, so these were knocked out. Six genes were inserted to help control immune acceptance of the pig heart, and one additional gene was knocked out to stop excessive growth of the pig heart tissue.

This is fascinating.

• 7 months later...
  • Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Sobering

That's a pretty old video; they are quite far ahead with the whole genetically-engineered mosquito experiment now. Not only the lab stuff either; there have been actual field trials already, too. There's a biotech company in the US that released billions of genetically modified mosquitoes in field trials in Brazil, Malaysia, Panama and the Cayman Islands in the last few years. The Brazil pilot study was in fact so successful, that the GMO mosquito eggs are now a commercially available product for home use there and have been approved by Brazil's biosafety authorities. You can literally order it and get it delivered to your home to use instead of chemical insecticides xD A large scale trial is now planned for Florida and later California, too.

• Subscriber
On 11/09/2022 at 02:33, nudge said:

That's a pretty old video; they are quite far ahead with the whole genetically-engineered mosquito experiment now. Not only the lab stuff either; there have been actual field trials already, too. There's a biotech company in the US that released billions of genetically modified mosquitoes in field trials in Brazil, Malaysia, Panama and the Cayman Islands in the last few years. The Brazil pilot study was in fact so successful, that the GMO mosquito eggs are now a commercially available product for home use there and have been approved by Brazil's biosafety authorities. You can literally order it and get it delivered to your home to use instead of chemical insecticides xD A large scale trial is now planned for Florida and later California, too.

What always fascinates me about CRISPR and how they talk about the tool injection process is how easy it is to propagate DNA components and while we're only talking mosquitoes here there are greater applications across other spectrums as well. I know we've discussed this in here at length but I'd imagine that someone is already working on SARS/MERS/COVID variant eradication techniques using something very similar, but I'd also imagine the pool of entities that have natural resistance are very small and hence cause bigger problems when it comes to trying to find the right way to achieve it. 

Note on the video: I always feel like we're unbalancing a very finely balanced equation by messing with the system in place. When she talks about 1000 children dying from malaria, I think to myself what the outcome would be of saving 1000 lives compounded over years of their existence do to other systems - economic, societal, etc. Keep in mind these are countries which have massive problems related to feeding hungry mouths and in effect this change could exasperate the problem even if it seems humanitarian at first.

Archived