talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup Quarter-Final Match Chat - 19-20th December, 2017

football forum

• Administrator

Tuesday 19th December, 2017
Arsenal vs West Ham, 19.45
Leicester vs Man City, 19.45 (live on Sky)

Wednesday 20th December, 2017
Chelsea vs Bournemouth, 19.45
Bristol City vs Man Utd, 20.00 (live on Sky)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some team news from Conte:

- Batshuayi and Kenedy will start

- Kante looks likely to be rested

- Musonda (groin) and Luiz, obviously, out injured

- Hudson-Odoi, Ampadu and Sterling may be in the matchday squad. Ampadu MIGHT start the match

• Administrator

Tough to call what kind of line-up both sides will go for tonight. 

Wonder if Iheanacho and Ulloa will get starts.

I say we go for a strong squad despite an important game at the weekend vs Man Utd.

Think Okazaki should start to be honest though. King almost guaranteed to start given Ndidi is suspended. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Narrow Arsenal win and a score draw at Leicester.

@Stan you've put that tomorrow's fixtures are on Saturday which almost exploded my brain.

ahahah cheers what a fucking melt

• Administrator

could be a delayed kick-offs (maybe til Saturday) as there's traffic southbound in to Leicester on the M1. Overturned lorry across both carriageways and diesel spillage.

• Administrator

strong attack for City but reckon we could get at that City defence if we play well enough. They're there for the taking considering they're not starting players like De Bruyne, Silva, Sane, Kompany, Otamendi, Ederson, Sterling

4 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Leicester resting players is an absolute disgrace. That Man City line up is a gift. If they don't win Puel should get a lot of stick.

I would have to agree... what possible reason do Leicester have for not playing the strongest side they can??? 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Leicester resting players is an absolute disgrace. That Man City line up is a gift. If they don't win Puel should get a lot of stick.

we weren't to know the Man City line up would be this 'weak'.
We have Utd at the weekend
We have 5 games in 13 days (the least time to rest out of all Premier League clubs over the festive period).
6 of the 11 players tonight also played against Palace. We've not totally changed our squad.

How is it a 'disgrace'? it's expected, if anything. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

we weren't to know the Man City line up would be this 'weak'.
We have Utd at the weekend
We have 5 games in 13 days (the least time to rest out of all Premier League clubs over the festive period).

How is it a 'disgrace'? it's expected, if anything. 

Disagree. What shits do Leicester give about scraping a point against United when they're 3 wins away from silverware.

I would say the same about my own club, when you're in a cup quarter final and not in the title race or Champions League then no matter how many games you have in the next fortnight nothing should come above the cup game.

• Administrator
Just now, RandoEFC said:

Disagree. What shits do Leicester give about scraping a point against United when they're 3 wins away from silverware.

I would say the same about my own club, when you're in a cup quarter final and not in the title race or Champions League then no matter how many games you have in the next fortnight nothing should come above the cup game.

don't get me wrong, I want to get to the semi-final, but the 3rd point in that bunch is the key for me. Not that big a squad and so many games to come.

Three wins away from silverware sounds grand but there's still Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea in the competition so it's no guarantee.

No matter how many games? Why would we risk Vardy/Mahrez/Gray etc today with so many important games in the league? Especially as Europa League isn't all that an unrealistic possibility. 

League has and will always be the priority over the cup for most clubs outside the top 6. as said above, there have been changes but it's not a 100% change of personnel. There's still some first regulars in the starting XI. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

don't get me wrong, I want to get to the semi-final, but the 3rd point in that bunch is the key for me. Not that big a squad and so many games to come.

Three wins away from silverware sounds grand but there's still Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea in the competition so it's no guarantee.

No matter how many games? Why would we risk Vardy/Mahrez/Gray etc today with so many important games in the league? Especially as Europa League isn't all that an unrealistic possibility. 

League has and will always be the priority over the cup for most clubs outside the top 6. as said above, there have been changes but it's not a 100% change of personnel. There's still some first regulars in the starting XI. 

Cup winners automatically get into the Europa League anyway?

Leicester are playing for nothing in the league if we're being realistic. Relegation isn't going to happen and anything above 7th (which isn't a guaranteed Europa spot) is out of the question too.

What's the point in existing if you're going to prioritise getting 2 extra points in the league and gaining a mid table position or two if that at the expense of going all out to win a trophy? Good chance you'll lose to United on Saturday anyway then you've gained nothing at all.

Disgrace? No, but I struggle to understand it.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Cup winners automatically get into the Europa League anyway?

Leicester are playing for nothing in the league if we're being realistic. Relegation isn't going to happen and anything above 7th (which isn't a guaranteed Europa spot) is out of the question too.

What's the point in existing if you're going to prioritise getting 2 extra points in the league and gaining a mid table position or two if that at the expense of going all out to win a trophy? Good chance you'll lose to United on Saturday anyway then you've gained nothing at all.

Disgrace? No, but I struggle to understand it.

it's not just about the Utd game on Saturday. it's winnable games against Watford and Huddersfield over Xmas/New Year which are more important and we need our better players for. 

I'll just put it straight that I do want to get to the semi-final and hopefully the final but given how many games there are upcoming, I totally understand the need for rotation of the squad. 

• Administrator
Just now, HK85 said:

I'd hope for the same sort of team if we were in this round as well. That 7th place is prestigious. Players need their rest. 

is this sarcasm xD ?

• Administrator
Just now, Kitchen Sales said:

If its fitness argument then surely your 5 players would have better fitness for Watford and Huddersfield by being rested for a game closer to that, like Man Utd at the weekend.

but then it goes back to my point that league takes priority over the cup. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

but then it goes back to my point that league takes priority over the cup.

1 game can end your cup run, it wont end your league season.

For a fan of any team without the expectation of winning the cup then a quarter final should be full of intense excitement and nerves that surpasses th routine of a league game. It's the stuff we are in football for. A weakened team weakens that emotion.

Football is all about making emotional memories. In victory and defeat. Managers who diminish that opportunity are a cancer to the game, turning fans into a dullard docile crowd.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived