talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup Quarter-Final Match Chat - 19-20th December, 2017

football forum

Does seem a waste to me to be honest. This would be natural progression for a club like Leicester to go to Wembley and win a trophy, especially in a competition that has treated them well down the years, but they really seem to have conceded any advantage they had with that line up. 

I'd fancy them as well in a two legged game against Arsenal, Chelsea or Man Utd. Shame really.

I'm actually really surprised Puel didn't go big considering the effort he put into winning the competition last season. Very odd.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, Kitchen Sales said:

1 game can end your cup run, it wont end your league season.

For a fan of any team without the expectation of winning the cup then a quarter final should be full of intense excitement and nerves that surpasses th routine of a league game. It's the stuff we are in football for. A weakened team weakens that emotion.

Football is all about making emotional memories. In victory and defeat. Managers who diminish that opportunity are a cancer to the game, turning fans into a dullard docile crowd.

Guardiola the same then considering the amount of payers he's rested?

Wenger in most games? Fergie must have done it as well. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Guardiola the same then considering the amount of payers he's rested?

Wenger in most games? Fergie must have done it as well. 

All teams in the title race or in Europe or with a realistic chance of the FA Cup if all else fails or a chance of qualifying for Europe, and all clubs that can still win these games with a weakened side most of the time.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

All teams in the title race or in Europe or with a realistic chance of the FA Cup if all else fails or a chance of qualifying for Europe, and all clubs that can still win these games with a weakened side most of the time.

West Ham have made 6 changes as well and are in a the same boat as us I presume.

Are they not worthy of some stick either?

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Stan said:

West Ham have made 6 changes as well and are in a the same boat as us I presume.

Are they not worthy of some stick either?

How are West Ham in the same boat? Relegation fight so for them the league does take priority because a few points either way could affect which league they play in next season not just the difference between 8th and 10th.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

so because we're doing better in the league, we should sacrifice that for the potential of advancing in the cup?

Are you on the windup? xD

Christ. What is football when clubs prioritise maybe getting a non-guaranteed European spot in the middle of the league over advancing to the semi finals of one of the two actual trophies you could realistically win each season, especially when doing so actually gets you into Europe anyway? :dam:

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Are you on the windup? xD

Christ. What is football when clubs prioritise maybe getting a non-guaranteed European spot in the middle of the league over advancing to the semi finals of one of the two actual trophies you could realistically win each season, especially when doing so actually gets you into Europe anyway? :dam:

no I'm not.

I totally understand and get the point why you think we should prioritise the cup. But at what cost? Forget what's going on in the league just because we've worked our way to 8th by December?

It's well known there's more money for finishing higher up in the league hence why I think the club see that as a priority. That's not to say 'fvck the cup'. If that was the attitude we'd have gone out at an earlier stage. 

I also (again) go back to the point about plenty of games in a short time frame. No doubt there'll be more rotation of the squad throughout those games and some players we've seen tonight that we don't usually see will play in those. 

I don't know what more else there is to say on the reasons why I think Puel went with the squad he did to start today. 

• Subscriber

no I'm not.

I totally understand and get the point why you think we should prioritise the cup. But at what cost? Forget what's going on in the league just because we've worked our way to 8th by December?

It's well known there's more money for finishing higher up in the league hence why I think the club see that as a priority. That's not to say 'fvck the cup'. If that was the attitude we'd have gone out at an earlier stage. 

I also (again) go back to the point about plenty of games in a short time frame. No doubt there'll be more rotation of the squad throughout those games and some players we've seen tonight that we don't usually see will play in those. 

I don't know what more else there is to say on the reasons why I think Puel went with the squad he did to start today. 

Going full strength for one cup game isn't going to somehow derail your entire league season though is it and probably won't even make one league positions worth of difference.

• Administrator

no but the risk to some key players playing full 90 minutes and getting burned out/injured could affect it. 

and yes, I know some of those players came on today but there's still others I can totally understand being rested. 

This is getting ridiculous now. Teams getting battered that are far inferior getting gifts by referees that can’t wait to point to the spot in order to steal the limelight.  

Instead of giving players bans for diving, how about sacking fame hungry referees after every shite decision like this one? 

Absolute disgrace. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

This is getting ridiculous now. Teams getting battered that are far inferior getting gifts by referees that can’t wait to point to the spot in order to steal the limelight.  

Instead of giving players bans for diving, how about sacking fame hungry referees after every shite decision like this one? 

Absolute disgrace. 

hmm wouldn't say we had been battered! Not played well but battered is a stretch!

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Absolute disgrace. 

I feel like this rage isn't directed at tonight's incident but that it is bringing up some trauma from your past. Shall we dig into that?

Just now, Stan said:

Walker diving now. 

Looked more a penalty than what you lot were given yet is carded. The inconsistency of refereeing in this country is astounding. 

It’s like the referees have been instructed from the powers that be to award controversial penalties to the smalller clubs to keep things interesting.  

Theres no other excuse for it because it’s impossible for so many human beings to be this bad at their jobs. 

hmm wouldn't say we had been battered! Not played well but battered is a stretch!

It’s more like the game was won, it was fizzling out and City were just seeing the game out.... Soooo it needed something to liven it up a bit. Up steps the referee to give a penalty for absolutely nothing to level the game and here goes extra time. 

Its as if Sky have paid someone off to purposely create more entertainment for the paying public?

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

It’s more like the game was won, it was fizzling out and City were just seeing the game out.... Soooo it needed something to liven it up a bit. Up steps the referee to give a penalty for absolutely nothing to level the game and here goes extra time. 

Its as if Sky have paid someone off to purposely create more entertainment for the paying public?

in order for that to happen, the players would have to be in on it to miss all the chances or make sure it stays 1-0. And for that to happen the managers I'd guess would also have to be involved.

Think that's a bit far-fetched xD 

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I feel like this rage isn't directed at tonight's incident but that it is bringing up some trauma from your past. Shall we dig into that?

Are you actually going to sit there and deny the decisions being given by referees lately isn’t bordering on Sky corruption? 

It’s not even debatable how bad the decisions are getting. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

in order for that to happen, the players would have to be in on it to miss all the chances or make sure it stays 1-0. And for that to happen the managers I'd guess would also have to be involved.

Think that's a bit far-fetched xD 

Well the only other explanation is that the referees are fed thick as fuck tablets before every game because the decisions they are making are beyond stupid. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived