talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Park The Bus Or Have A Go?

If a club hasn't got the ability to play good football to get points, then I don't begrudge them for parking the bus and doing shite like playing for set-pieces and penalties. But when a club's got the resources and players to play better football, then it's a bit shite to have them just hoof it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I must have missed the recent derby when we lost?

Unless you can go away and find me the catalogue of tweets and forum threads lauding Martinez' Everton for "having a go" and losing 4-0 to Liverpool and 6-3 to Chelsea and 4-3 to Stoke and whatever other joke results we came up with when we were an "exciting, forward thinking team" who finished in the bottom half two years running, then your argument has no basis.

Let's move away from Everton and talk about Mourinho. If United tried to go all out attack against City last weekend they'd have lost about 5-2 getting raped by City on the break and got laughed at. Instead they played sensibly, still lost 2-1 but could have snuck a result with some luck and yet they get laughed at anyway.

You can't have it both ways and I imagine if Liverpool were a bit more pragmatic at times you wouldn't go pissing away 3-0 leads to Sevilla. Then again you would probably rather brag about what "great football" you play so you could try and talk down to Everton and United fans about parking the bus than get a few more points on the pitch. :whistling:

What’s Mourinho’s excuse for coming to Anfield, 2 years running, after spending upwards of £400m, and having absolutely no desire to win, only not lose? 

I can understand some clubs doing it but there is no excuse for certain clubs implementing the tactics they do. 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

What’s Mourinho’s excuse for coming to Anfield, 2 years running, after spending upwards of £400m, and having absolutely no desire to win, only not lose? 

I can understand some clubs doing it but there is no excuse for certain clubs implementing the tactics they do. 

Mourinho is a coward - it is known.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I know, I was just asking Rando how he can justify such tactics with the most expensive squad ever assembled? 

Because when you've not got a proper striker that's the only thing you can do away from home.

48 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Because when you've not got a proper striker that's the only thing you can do away from home.

Mourinho had Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Mata, Pogba etc etc. 

Parking the bus with that talent is nothing short of cowardly. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Mourinho had Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Mata, Pogba etc etc. 

Parking the bus with that talent is nothing short of cowardly. 

Lukaku shite against the top 6. Pogba clumsy and basically shite. Martial, Rashford kids, Mata inconsistent. Jose's hands were tied mate. :coffee:

Too many sides are scared to lose. There isn't a lot of difference between 10-12 teams these days in the Premier League that so many clubs are scared of getting sucked into a dog fight and concentrate on accumulating points than 'having a go'. I'd like to think bravery is rewarded more times than being over cautious, which is why we favour watching some teams to others. Ultimately though, you have to play to your strengths. And if it works, it works.

Look at Burnley. Do they have skill or flair? No. Are they a fluent attacking side? No. They have certain players that fit their mould. They are workmanlike, disciplined, efficient and no their best chance of winning games is to stay in the game and keep it tight. By sticking to their game plan, they always seem to be in the game to the end. Fair play to how many 1-0 games they have nicked because they play to their strengths.

Mourinho is a classic example of being so obsessed with not getting trashed that it's no longer "pragmatic". 

Pragmatic means getting results. It's not pragmatic to stunt players' development, destroy your team's confidence, scrape lucky draws against teams which are financially a level below you, and throw away world class talents. 

The best night of Jose's career was a gritty 1-0 loss at the Camp Nou, and the worst was a 5-0 demolition at the same place.

Those two experiences have shaped him ever since, and probably influence his decisions even more than practical day-to-day considerations. He's not a pragmatist.

He's an idealist, but his ideal to is win by doing the bare minimum. 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Park the bus! Or whatever chooses to do

Majority here:Support Klopp's tactics because its "beautiful play" but he could never win the CL with Dortmund abd its extremely foolish to even suggest Liverpool will win it anytime soon.

NO ONE is in position to question a LEGENDARY coach who won the CL with inter abd Porto.

it's not what he's done with previous clubs though. It's what he's doing with the club he's at right now :) 

Archived