talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Park The Bus Or Have A Go?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont have much to add, but just like many said above Im fine if smaller clubs implement that especially when battling relegation but when someone spends so much money and has good attacking players, parking the bus against all their title rivals is being daft, and on top of that calling themselves as the special one is the most cringeworthy thing 

3 hours ago, HK85 said:

They had won it before, like. 

In 19-fucking-66. MadLad's got the manager wrong, but he's right in that it's like saying "Ah Rafa's Istanbul accomplishment doesn't mean too much, after all Bob Paisley won it 3 times for Liverpool." Sure, I guess that's true if you want to remove all context from it and pretend that Liverpool and Dortmund have never ever left their glory years behind.

1 hour ago, Asura said:

Dont have much to add, but just like many said above Im fine if smaller clubs implement that especially when battling relegation but when someone spends so much money and has good attacking players, parking the bus against all their title rivals is being daft, and on top of that calling themselves as the special one is the most cringeworthy thing 

At the end of the day, managers are there to come up with winning strategies for their clubs. And there's no doubt that Mourinho has been a winner, despite some very dull and uninspiring (and sometimes painful) football to watch. But I agree with you, when you're at one of the biggest clubs in the world and you can spend nearly endless amounts of money... it's definitely not as impressive to win with ugly football as it is when you see sides win and look good doing so.

I think Mourinho's a coward, tbh. As someone said, he's obsessed with not being thrashed after Barca fucking thumped him. And he's good at setting out sides to grind out wins. But if you're just a rich man's Pullis... it's not that impressive.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

In 19-fucking-66. MadLad's got the manager wrong, but he's right in that it's like saying "Ah Rafa's Istanbul accomplishment doesn't mean too much, after all Bob Paisley won it 3 times for Liverpool." Sure, I guess that's true if you want to remove all context from it and pretend that Liverpool and Dortmund have never ever left their glory years behind.

Cupla decades off. 

I don't know if scared is the right word but teams in the Premier League these days seem more interested in the defensive aspect of the game and attempting to grind out results, especially away from home. It's hardly the Serie A of the nineties, in fact it's a cheap imitation of that with a lot less quality and even less entertainment, but teams  concentrating on their responsibilities at the back has become more and more prevalent over the past few years.

I think a lot of it is down to the fact Premier League owners are more interested in the financial rewards of Premier League safety rather than anything else and as a result of that, managers are judged a lot quicker than they were, meaning a few poor results will see them removed from their role and that, in my opinion, has bred this safety first culture amongst managers.

"Park the bus park the bus Man United, park the bus park the bus I say, park the bus park the bus Man United, playing football the Mourinho way." 

https://twitter.com/City_Watch/status/942165559478837248/video/1 

This is what kicked off the melee at Old Trafford :rofl:  (the vid is the team chanting it again at the Etihad after beating Spurs)

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola said it is "difficult to play" against ultra-defensive teams after his side moved 15 points clear at the top of the Premier League with a win at Newcastle.

Raheem Sterling scored the only goal in a dominant display by the visitors to St James' Park in which they clocked up 78% of possession and 21 shots to Newcastle's six.

"We did absolutely everything but it is difficult to play when the other team doesn't want to play," said Guardiola.

"In the last minutes we played in their rhythm and then it was not easy because it is not over at 1-0 - we created enough chances to win 2-0, 3-0, 4-0.

"As a manager I have to adapt. We have played teams who high press, low press, attack us. Any manager and team can play how they want. And you have to find a way to beat them."

That pretty much sums it up..... 

• Subscriber

Again Neville and Carragher last night whinging about Newcastle not having a go. Also commenting that people might stop watching the Premier League because of the lack of entertainment.

Someone needs to tell these spastics that Benitez' job is to get results for Newcastle, not to get Sky's viewership up. If Newcastle had "had a go" at City last night they'd have been 3-0 down in 30 minutes. As it happened they lost anyway but stayed in the game until the end and then all it takes is a set piece or a spawny deflection to get a point.

I get that it isn't entertaining for the neutral but people need to stop acting as if these managers and players are there to have no tactical awareness and just try and cause as much goal line action at both ends as possible.

Unfortunately this is what happens when there's so much monetary inequality in the game (Mourinho and United are an exception to this) that was actually started by Sky in the 90s ironically, that you can have two teams like Man City and Newcastle "in the same league" where one teams best player wouldn't make the bench of the opposition.

We fielded a weakened team. From the off that was throwing away 15% extra possession we could have achieved at full strength for the sake of saving ourselves for Saturday. 

Carragher was right in what I have seen from him. There's no point in football if a home team is happy to lose to a top side as long as they lose by less than their rivals do. 

Gary Neville on the other hand lost 7-0 at Barcelona as Valencia manager, I don't think Rafa should take any lectures from him on how to tactically approach a game against one of the best sides in football.

Archived