talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Scholes, Lampard, or Gerrard?

Scholes doesn't even belong in the conversation for me. He was a very good footballer, but a facilitator at best. Ahead of the other two upstairs, but that can only get you so far without top players around you. Gerrard and Lampard, on the other hand, were absolutely world class in their prime and could do it all by themselves. It's only speculation, but I think if you put Scholes or Lampard in some of the god awful Liverpool sides Gerrard had to play in, Scholes would sink and Lampard would swim.

No matter how much Scholes's reputation may have improved since he retired, there's a reason only two of the three ever stood on the podium for the Ballon d'Or.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people who answer Scholes are not answering the same question as the rest.

If one has an idealistic conception of what a football is - and all that counts is what you do with the ball (i.e. for about 5% of the match) - then you might be inclined to pick the player with the best control and passing. 

But although technique is the most important thing, it isn't everything. It's possible to be a great player with extremely limited or even average technique. 

Likewise, it's possible to have outstanding technique and not be an outstanding player. Riquelme might be one of the most technically gifted players in history, but is he one of the greatest players of all time? Probably not. 

If you hear "best player" and think "best receiver and mover of the ball", saying Scholes makes sense. If you think of "best player" as meaning overall contribution  to a team, then I don't think Scholes can come out top. 

Bastian Schweinsteiger is technically a level below, I don't know, Thiago, but when you look back at their careers, who will be considered the better player?

21 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

I find all the negativity about scholes has more to do with being anti-united than an actual judgement of one of the best midfielders of all time. Done with this thread

I will bring something positive about Scholes then... he was just as shit at tackling as the other two :ph34r:

Archived