talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Barnsley Takeover - Consortium With Billionaire Chinese Backer

football forum

Barnsley have announced the long-awaited completion of the club’s takeover. The Cryne family have agreed a deal with Chinese businessman Chien Lee’s consortium, which includes American investors Paul Conway and Grace Hung - with the club announcing the news in an official statement yesterday. Discussions have been long and drawn out over several months, with local businessman Patrick Cryne desperate to protect the values of the football club. Cryne took the reigns back in 2004 and helped keep the Reds financially stable during some tough times at Oakwell. Billy Beane, the pioneer of Moneyball – a data system which Barnsley already implement in trying to find players – will also be on the Reds’ board, alongside Neerav Parekh. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/barnsley-confirm-completion-of-takeover-1-8918182

Will Barnsley kick on in the Championship now?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
24 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Why are they interested in Barnsley? xD

I'd imagine it was a relatively cheap buy for them - about as cheap as a second tier club can be. A bit more looking into these and they have links with OGC Nice and a baseball (I think) club where they implemented the 'moneyball' system, something a bit like what Brentford have now. Basically they implemented a system where they analysed everything meticulously in their squad building to the extent they got a provincial club to being champions. It's interesting stuff.

32 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'd imagine it was a relatively cheap buy for them - about as cheap as a second tier club can be. A bit more looking into these and they have links with OGC Nice and a baseball (I think) club where they implemented the 'moneyball' system, something a bit like what Brentford have now. Basically they implemented a system where they analysed everything meticulously in their squad building to the extent they got a provincial club to being champions. It's interesting stuff.

Yeah, Billy Beane ‘started’ Moneyball with the Oakland A’s (I think) when they were struggling and turned their fortunes around and won a World Series too, I believe. Brad Pitt plays him in the film. 

I read that Barnsley have already been implementing the Moneyball philosophy at the club, so they’ll be worth keeping an eye on. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why does anyone buy a Football Club is a pretty good question, let alone, “Why Barnsley, it’s a shithole?” (most football clubs are based in towns that aren’t that aethestically pleasing or the most affluent areas). 

Its a pretty idiotic question actually

35 minutes ago, Danny said:

They were interested in buying a 50% stake in us (and to be clear our owner hates the term "Moneyball") but he said no no no. Interesting to see how this will work out and why we didn't go ahead with anything.

Why does he hate it? What’s he call it? And isn’t it pretty similar?

16 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why does he hate it? What’s he call it? And isn’t it pretty similar?

Because it's a misinterpretation of what happens. People throw the term moneyball around and assume he's just got a printer on all day throwing out spreadsheets of data hoping they don't get a powercut. In fact the terms brings around nonsense stories like these, largely from the gift that keeps on giving...Martin Samuel (some are about multiple teams, just search Brentford):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3537575/MARTIN-SAMUEL-owners-thinking-buck-stops-manager-puzzle-took-abject-disaster-Aston-Villa-Randy-Lerner-look-departments.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3253957/Brentford-owner-Matthew-Benham-obsessed-stats-come-wrong-formula-success.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2967407/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Attention-old-hat-won-t-make-champion.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4810586/Premier-League-window-shoppers-hypocrisy-Martin-Samuel.html

This is his actual view on the term moneyball in an interview in the Guardian:

‘Oh, Moneyball – these guys came along and applied stats to baseball.’ But of course baseball has been incredibly obsessed with stats for 100-plus years.

“Moneyball’s idea wasn’t about using any old statistics but statistics as an academic and scientific exercise to see what stats actually helped predicted things. The Moneyball label can be confusing because people think it is using any stats rather than trying to use them in a scientific way.”

I mean our latest striker Emiliano Marcondes was probably tracked through a mixture of stats and Benham owning a club in Denmark, but for all the statistical analysis we'd do on him, 6 different scouts watched him 20 times. You can guess more of the same follows our other recruits elsewhere.

And the last comment, "The Moneyball label can be confusing because people think it is using any stats rather than trying to use them in a scientific way.”", I think that just about sums up watching pundits on Sky go with the old cliche "there's only one stat that matters"...yeah mate, that's why you're a media personality and not still working in the game.

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.72a6fad6d15f358c7c7381f4c2c657e1.png

Daniel Stendel: Barnsley part company with German head coach

Barnsley have parted company with head coach Daniel Stendel following a run of 10 Championship games without a win.

The 45-year-old German took charge at Oakwell in June 2018 and led the Tykes to promotion from League One in his first season in English football.

Adam Murray has been appointed caretaker manager with the club currently second from bottom.

Barnsley have not won since beating Fulham 1-0 at home on the opening day of the season.

Stendel's final game in charge was a 5-1 defeat at Preston North End on Saturday, a game they went into with a back four with an average age of 20.

In his final post-match interview, he described Barnsley as having "played like a youth team".

"The second half was the worst that I can remember at Barnsley," the former Hannover 96 boss told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"You can see the players want to fight and never give up, but we've lost the confidence after 10 games without a win.

FULL REPORT

Archived