• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which player did you first love watching

football forum

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Storts said:

Speak for yourself, I bloody loved Klinsmann, was a bit young during his first spell, but the second where he kept us up and that 4 goals away at Wimbledon. Fell in love.

Ginola was brilliant as you say, a real shining light in an otherwise dreary period for the club.

What I'm saying is that with most strikers especially killers in the box there's not much football to be seen. It's not the same as appreciating something special as with Ginola or Bergkamp. Strikers give you something else... They give you the final moment where you go mental. 

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

What I'm saying is that with most strikers especially killers in the box there's not much football to be seen. It's not the same as appreciating something special as with Ginola or Bergkamp. Strikers give you something else... They give you the final moment where you go mental. 

That wasn't the question.

It was first player you loved watching. Mine was Klinsmann. Strikers are just as special in a different way, especially the best. What he did for the club in his two seasons was special.

Dennis Bergkamp for me, he was just undeniably world class. Obviously Henry was another and because my Dad loved him Robert Pires. In my later years when you truly start to appreciate the sport Cesc Fabregas was another, he was a wonderful footballer.

You know, I'm not that sure. I thought Joe Cole's dribbling skills were amazing when I was a kid and I always loved how Lampard would pop up with a goal from nowhere. Even Wayne Rooney when he was a teenager was full of skill and surprises. I think it may have been Zidane.

• 1 year later...

Eric Cantona for me but I think the first non-United player I loved to watch was Matt Le Tissier. He was absolutely class and massively underrated. I watched this documentary the other night and it was nice to see such a humble, down to earth lad reflect on his career. 

Enjoy the man, the maverick, the legend that is Matthew Le Tissier aka Le God

On 19/03/2017 at 00:50, IgnisExcubitor said:

Michael Owen. Of course, I can't stand him now. And it's not just because he joined Manchester United. He is an absolutely Muppet. But in the past, there were very few strikers like him.

Same for me. Owen was the first player that really captured my interest. 

As a kid it was Glen Hoddle and Liam Brady. I was never really all that excited about teams abroad or international football then, but always had time to watch Platini. For West Ham the first player that I really loved watching was Alan Devonshire. Mark Ward was a close second.

Seeing as I grew up a West Ham fan, and my general understanding of football and footballers beginning in the mid-late 90s and onwards, there was only one man. It's a shame about his politics, because he was one of the most exciting players to play in the Premier League.

In terms of international players, you're talking the like of Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos' free kick, Edgar Davids, Zinedine Zidane, Totti, Batistuta...the list goes on.

Archived