talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which player did you first love watching

football forum

• Subscriber

Ruud Van Nistelrooy but one of the opposition I loved watching was Dennis Bergkamp, that guy was class, he had a fear of flying so would make his own way across to wherever by car or coach, if the Gunners were playing in Europe he would drive there or go by train or coach and make his own way back, it did not affect him like some players with Jet-Lag whatever and still play brilliantly the next game.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Torres in a Liverpool shirt ignited my love for the Premier League but in the flesh I'd say it was Michael Reddy when he played for Grimsby. He was a fantastic player for us and scored some decent goals. Always had my attention when he went on a run!

59 minutes ago, Danny said:

Seeing as I grew up a West Ham fan, and my general understanding of football and footballers beginning in the mid-late 90s and onwards, there was only one man. It's a shame about his politics, because he was one of the most exciting players to play in the Premier League.

I could watch him play any time. Just one of those players who got you excited every time he got on the ball. One of my lasting football memories of him was the strop he threw when we losing the game against Bradford. Harry refused to sub him even though he just squatted in the centre circle while the game was going on. Then he decided to play and orchestrated one of the best come backs I ever saw. When Dave Wetherhall took a job with the Football League I got to work with him quite a bit, and I never missed an opportunity to remind him of that game. 😄

2 minutes ago, Large said:

I could watch him play any time. Just one of those players who got you excited every time he got on the ball. One of my lasting football memories of him was the strop he threw when we losing the game against Bradford. Harry refused to sub him even though he just squatted in the centre circle while the game was going on. Then he decided to play and orchestrated one of the best come backs I ever saw. When Dave Wetherhall took a job with the Football League I got to work with him quite a bit, and I never missed an opportunity to remind him of that game. 😄

Funnily enough I have no recollection of that moment, though heard the story many a time xD

The Wimbledon goal was something special, but for me his best was the long ranger he picked up off of one kick up that beat Cudicini who was arguably the most in form keeper in the Prem at the time.

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Same for me. Owen was the first player that really captured my interest. 

I remember the end of Fowler's peak so he's the first I remember but after that I was obsessed with Michael Owen as a kid. I think a lot of Liverpool fans underrate Owen because of what happened after he left and I'm guilty of it myself. Easy to forget that he was European Football of the Year in 2001.

Before I was a proper football follower, I used to watch the odd Boca Juniors game, and of course the answer is as goes: Juan Roman Riquelme. One of the most underrated 10's of the 2000's decade. Just a brilliant overall enganche who didn't get all the respect he deserved due to him having played in South America the majority of his career. 

There are two and I can't put a thing between them. Firstly, the man in my profile picture. He was like watching a Turkish Pirlo every week, not bad for a bloke who looked like a taxi driver and was knocking on a bit when he started with us, let alone when he retired. Fantastic ability and gave his all without exception. Lovely bloke and - usually! - model player too.

The other is Brad Friedel, who got more recognition and probably saved us a hundred points over the years. Honestly can't recall him laying a foot wrong for Rovers and the fact he holds the record for the most consecutive PL appearances is testament to this. Superb keeper on his day.

More widely, I loved Italian football growing up. Buffon, Nedved, Adriano, Maldini, Nesta, the entire Milan midfield, Shevchenko... Buffon's insane save in the 2003 CL Final from Inzaghi is still one of my favourite moments in football.

Roberto Baggio.

When I was a kid, my parents didn't have Sky Sports. I very rarely got to watch Premier League games, only what was on Match of the Day. Actually listened to more games on the radio.

So when Channel 4 started showing Football Italia on Sunday afternoon's, I loved it.

I got an instant like for Lazio and Guiseppe Signori because he scored fuck tons of goals but Baggio was the 'flair' player. He stood out with his pony tail and skill and I remember watching him in the '94 World Cup have an unbelievable tournament only to miss the decisive pen.

I used to love pretending to be Baggio when I played so I'd have to say he was the first one I loved watching.

Place Fan talks about feeling old - well here's one to make him feel not just old, but ancient.  My first introduction to Football was the BBC Commentaries in the late 40s (great Alan Clark still was one of the best) after the war and I saw on three occasions a man who I thought was a god - he was not the rugged type of player - good looking and athletic and when he stood in goal he was almost unbeatable - even when the ball burst in the Cup final against Derby County it didn't phase him.  I later tended to judge a team on how good their goalie was - England was blessed with Banks, Shilton and others - Germany eventually had one of the best in Oliver Kahn but they had already let us have the great Bert Trautman and I have since 1949 always supported 04 and having Jens Lehman was special - but later spending time in Schools in Germany and eventually having the chance to watch your Peter Manuel grow onto a fine young man and a great keeper continued my appreciation of the No 1's.  It started when my dad took me to watch York City during the war - the keeper was Sam Bartram - later to become Charlton's best ever player and probably their longest and most devoted servant.  I enjoy watching the brilliance of some strikers and wingers - 04 have had their share over the years and in England we have been blessed with Shearer, Linekar, Beckham et al, I would have loved to have been able to watch how Alan and Gary would have tried to beat Sam.  Sometimes the musings of the older supporters can bring to light players who have almost been ignored or forgotten, but look up Sam's Wiki page and respect the sort of player and attitude which sometimes - these days - is missing.  I watched the 04/Man City game last night and was saddened by the antics of Bentaleb and Caliguiri and the way they disrespected and harassed the Referee.  That's something which Sam and the others would never have done and today's kids are thinking its OK for them to copy.  Sad really..... The one thing Sam had and gave was - Respect!

On 21/02/2019 at 12:46, SchalkeUK said:

Place Fan talks about feeling old - well here's one to make him feel not just old, but ancient.  My first introduction to Football was the BBC Commentaries in the late 40s (great Alan Clark still was one of the best) after the war and I saw on three occasions a man who I thought was a god - he was not the rugged type of player - good looking and athletic and when he stood in goal he was almost unbeatable - even when the ball burst in the Cup final against Derby County it didn't phase him.  I later tended to judge a team on how good their goalie was - England was blessed with Banks, Shilton and others - Germany eventually had one of the best in Oliver Kahn but they had already let us have the great Bert Trautman and I have since 1949 always supported 04 and having Jens Lehman was special - but later spending time in Schools in Germany and eventually having the chance to watch your Peter Manuel grow onto a fine young man and a great keeper continued my appreciation of the No 1's.  It started when my dad took me to watch York City during the war - the keeper was Sam Bartram - later to become Charlton's best ever player and probably their longest and most devoted servant.  I enjoy watching the brilliance of some strikers and wingers - 04 have had their share over the years and in England we have been blessed with Shearer, Linekar, Beckham et al, I would have loved to have been able to watch how Alan and Gary would have tried to beat Sam.  Sometimes the musings of the older supporters can bring to light players who have almost been ignored or forgotten, but look up Sam's Wiki page and respect the sort of player and attitude which sometimes - these days - is missing.  I watched the 04/Man City game last night and was saddened by the antics of Bentaleb and Caliguiri and the way they disrespected and harassed the Referee.  That's something which Sam and the others would never have done and today's kids are thinking its OK for them to copy.  Sad really..... The one thing Sam had and gave was - Respect!

So this means you will have lived to see the likes of Alfredo Di Stefano, Garrincha and Tom Finney?

Also Pele of course and the rest of the great Brazilian players of that era, Eusebio, Charlton, Best, Beckenbauer, Müller, Cruijff....you've been blessed to witness so many great players.

29 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

You know Gattuso was a midfielder, right?

They can be two unrelated sentences, right?

Fixed post above for better clarity.

Archived