talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - 22nd-23rd December 2017

Mignolet's never gonna get drop is he? 

And before someone says Karius is shite,  which is true,  I would say it again give Danny Ward a chance.  He was way better for Huddersfield. At least he seems assured in the box. With Mignolet,  you can literally see the defence panicking because of lack of faith. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Asura said:

Thats not true, Arsenal were a lot better in the second half and I personally feel the draw is deserving. 

I know Liverpool had a gift too with Cech's mistake, like Arsenal did. But with the way it all fell for Arsenal - Gomez totally switching off,  Xhaka's shot somehow being let in, and then Özil finally putting together the first real Arsenal combination of the match in 5 bizarre minutes - that's basically the biggest blow your opposition can take in any match. And that gift of a five minutes came on top of the pretty decent fortune of getting to HT only 1-0 down. 

And still it stayed relatively even for most of the rest of the match, and then ofc Liverpool got a bit of luck too. Overall, Liverpool had the better chances and seemed the slightly more creative side. 

Being a match against a direct rival at home, I just didn't think it was good from Arsenal. Liverpool were obviously rushed in possession too and almost as frenetic, but that's how you expect them to be away from home against a big side. I grew up with Arsenal being a creative, composed side and I just feel that these days it's all Sanchez running about, Özil sometimes conjuring some genius, and Welbeck or Giroud coming on at 70 minutes. 

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Pogba didn't play and the ref was clearly on their side. The difference between man utd and Liverpool is that the refs have cost man utd points(chelsea and citehh) and Klopp's ineptitude is the reason why Liverpool struggles.

Mou>>>klopp

Keep saying that to yourself and maybe you can have a good night's sleep. I dont expcet anything better from HalaGGMU lads that chirps Mourinho's words like you on the internet :rofl:

Baring in mind how this fixture ended last season, is there anything from tonight's game which points to either team being a better side?

If as I suspect those with an ounce between their ears draw a negative to that question, what should both managers have done in the summer to help them to become stronger opposition?

51 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Mignolet is basically Lovren in goals - just good enough to go on a run of being pretty solid but still incurably prone to a match-deciding clanger. 

Btw Klavan looked decent despite it all.

On his day, Mignolet's one of the worst goalkeepers in the league and then you get moments like today which make you tear your hair out. I'm genuinely baffled as to how he's still our starting keeper after the last 5 years. But whatever, Klopp likes him, so we're not allowed to talk about it apparently.

Gomez is getting a lot of stick for the first goal, and rightly so because he should've attacked the ball, but he should also have got a shout. You'd expect a shout whoever the defender is, but especially when it's a 20 year old kid filling in at right back. If we had any leaders on the pitch, that goal wouldn't have happened and we'd probably have left with the three points today.

As soon as we conceded that, you knew what was coming. Obviously I'm pissed off to have dropped two points after being 2-0 up, but I'm pleasantly surprised to have got something out of it in the end.

3 hours ago, Inverted said:

Mignolet is basically Lovren in goals - just good enough to go on a run of being pretty solid but still incurably prone to a match-deciding clanger. 

Btw Klavan looked decent despite it all.

Klavan > Lovren. He's actually been our best CB this season.

Which I'm not sure is a good thing or a bad thing.

Also I hope Robertson keeps this up and keeps his place in the side when Moreno is out. He's pretty solid defensively (good for a defender lol) and his crossing looks dangerous as fuck.

• Subscriber

Only caught the second half. Thought it totally summed up both teams really. Horrendous defending, individual errors all over the place, all a bit frantic which of course, was entertaining to watch but a good example of why neither will win nothing significant this year. You know full well it'll be the same when they meet next year too.

Liverpool should've killed that at 0-2. Arsenal looked awful from what I saw.

• Subscriber

Yep. Liverpool fans won't stop taking the piss out of Mourinho but look at the end result when United took a 2-0 lead at Arsenal a matter of weeks ago.

I accept that I'm making the same point as I did during the game but it's funny watching Liverpool fans mocking Mourinho for "parking the bus" (rightly so to an extent) but is it Mourinho or Klopp that left the Emirates stadium with three points after leading 2-0?

• Subscriber

Mourinho's mentality in those games by and large is well worth criticising, I think they got away with that somewhat if I'm honest but I still think they defended better than Liverpool did.

Liverpool should've tried to calm it down at 0-2, kill the game off against an Arsenal side that looked from what I saw, pretty awful on the night.

It was a very entertaining game but to me it sums up the Premier League - hard to take your eye off yet at the same time a perfect example of why our sides have struggled on the continent and why the league has declined in standard. Man City obviously the exception as they're a genuine world class side.

• Subscriber

Leicester v Man Utd then. Something I called happening has happened for this game - with the speculation of it being on Christmas Eve, ridiculously, they found their compromise in the form of trialing the game as their first ever Saturday night game. I have to admit despite Sky's usual contempt (for their fans really) I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, first day off work for Christmas, whole day of watching football and drinking before ours and then out after.

As for the game... I expect it to actually be a quite even contest which Man Utd nick, a bit like their game last week (I thought West Brom were worth a point personally). This past week couldn't really have gone any worse for us, a surprise slapping at home by Palace and then a long, draining cup game which we ended up losing - a situation where we've tried to give rest to players yet actually failed to really achieve that as Okazaki, Iborra, Fuchs and Maguire, all players who I'd expect to play tomorrow, play 120 minutes and Vardy & Mahrez play over an hour each. In hindsight it really was negative from us, and in doing what we did we achieved absolutely nothing. Even more sickening given there would've been a Championship side waiting for us in the Semis.

The one thing that fell for us this week was Demarai Gray not getting a two match ban for diving. It's a clear as day dive and the likes of Niasse and Lanzini can feel hard done by in comparison - another situation clearly where interpretation is going to scupper any kind of consistency, rendering it largely a waste of time. It's a get out of jail for us though as I doubt Okazaki will start, he usually only manages an hour, let alone two.

I think we'll give them a decent game but their superior quality will shine through and we'll lose, although I don't think they're unbeatable at all. They've got a point to prove after that shambles in midweek though.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Yep. Liverpool fans won't stop taking the piss out of Mourinho but look at the end result when United took a 2-0 lead at Arsenal a matter of weeks ago.

I accept that I'm making the same point as I did during the game but it's funny watching Liverpool fans mocking Mourinho for "parking the bus" (rightly so to an extent) but is it Mourinho or Klopp that left the Emirates stadium with three points after leading 2-0?

Bad example really. The reason United came away with three points at Arsenal was because of their goalkeeper, not Mourinho. I get the point you're making though. In general, this side needs to learn when to shut up shop. Slow things down when we're 2 or 3 up. Instead it's 100 mile an hour whatever the scoreline. Oh and a goalkeeper who isn't prone to fuck up after fuck up would help too

Liverpool overall played better than us but all three of their goals were lucky whereas you can only say the Xhaka goal was lucky for us. Liverpool's first was deflected right into a perfect spot for Coutinho to head over Cech, their second was deflected in and their third went in because Cech messed up. So, in reality Liverpool should feel extremely lucky to have gotten a point. :coffee:

Wenger's team selection couldn't have been anymore worse. He literally handed the game to Liverpool on a plate. Fair play to the team for getting back in the game but fuck me we were poor.

Clear Liverpool have incredible quality in attack, but serious questions need to be asked of that defence. How Mignolet is still your No.1 is a disgrace.

Overall I can't really complain about the result it was more than we deserved. It's another game Wenger scraped through by the skin of his teeth.

9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

United winning that match had zero to do with Mourinho. As a team they were battered. It was pure luck.

If they played that match 10 times they would have lost the next 9.

Comparing the two results like that doesn't make sense. Especially since Mourinho didn't even set up his team better defensively - they conceded far better chances than Liverpool did.

Are saying  Klopp should have sat deep, allow Arsenal 10 shots from inside the box, and trust that Mignolet will save them all? 

I don't get this random need to defend "parking the bus" even when it extends to outright bad defensive performances like United at the Emirates. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Inverted said:

United winning that match had zero to do with Mourinho. As a team they were battered. It was pure luck.

If they played that match 10 times they would have lost the next 9.

Yeah not gonna lie I was drunk when I posted this and thought I was a genius just remembering United went 2-0 up at Arsenal recently and won.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah not gonna lie I was drunk when I posted this and thought I was a genius just remembering United went 2-0 up at Arsenal recently and won.

My post ended up being a more general rant about Mourinho tbh than a response to you haha.

• Subscriber

Anyways, fancy us to get something against Chelsea here. Double change at centre half as Jagielka and Keane replace Holgate and Williams which looks like pure rotation to me. Rooney not in the squad so I think he's picked up a knock as I'd expect to see him at least on the bench. Davies replaces him in the line-up anyway and Bolasie returns to the bench.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived