• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Serie A Matchday 18

Recommended Posts

Friday, December 22, 2017
Chievo - Bologna
Cagliari - Fiorentina

Saturday, December 23, 2017
Lazio - Crotone
Genoa - Benevento
Napoli - Sampdoria
Sassuolo - Inter Milan
SPAL - Torino
Udinese - Hellas Verona
AC Milan - Atalanta
Juventus - Roma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice of Roma to actually turn up away to Juventus tomorrow. It's a huge mental block for them this decade and has been their downfall season after season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gattuso's Milan losing 2-0 at home to Atalanta. They have regressed since sacking Montella.

They don't even look like a team that does anything in preparation for games now. 

They need a proper manager in quickly. There is no urgency, no pace and no plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Milan getting mugged off 0-2 at home to Atalanta and will be in the bottom half of Serie A for Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Milan getting mugged off 0-2 at home to Atalanta and will be in the bottom half of Serie A for Christmas.

Should be expected for a team playing Fabio Borini week in-week out. 

After a poor start to the season, which was kind of expected, Atalanta have really bounced back strongly. Can imagine them qualifying for Europe again this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Gattuso's Milan losing 2-0 at home to Atalanta. They have regressed since sacking Montella.

They don't even look like a team that does anything in preparation for games now. 

They need a proper manager in quickly. There is no urgency, no pace and no plan.

They (AC Milan players) were running around like headless chickens most of the game... Just like their coach used to do. They say that a team is a reflection of their coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

They (AC Milan players) were running around like headless chickens most of the game... Just like their coach used to do. They say that a team is a reflection of their coach. 

You give them too much credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

You give them too much credit.

Mate... I don’t know who it was because I was talking to someone at the time but had my eye on the tv, but a Milan player lunged for a tackle he was never even going to reach and looked like a mug doing it... When he got up he looked in the direction of his coach (Gattuso)... It’s a joke!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have Inter in the cup midweek and away to Fiorentina next week. I'd be surprised if Gattuso sees in 2018 as Head Coach. They cannot expect to improve with such an inexperienced manager, who doesn't even look like he can run a training session and berates every player constantly. There are many great coaches in football, how can Milan not find one?! It makes the Montella sacking even more farcical now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

They have Inter in the cup midweek and away to Fiorentina next week. I'd be surprised if Gattuso sees in 2018 as Head Coach. They cannot expect to improve with such an inexperienced manager, who doesn't even look like he can run a training session and berates every player constantly. There are many great coaches in football, how can Milan not find one?! It makes the Montella sacking even more farcical now.

But who’s going to come in mid-season?

Anyone competent will want a contract that surpasses the present season!

While Ancelotti is jobless no decent coach will touch Milan in my opinion mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roma is such a pathetic club. they sold Salah for 38 m and bought Schick with 40+ (where is the facepalm emoticon?) and that Chick can't even finish a chance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh. Morata missed a couple chances like that already this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dalmore said:

Roma is such a pathetic club. they sold Salah for 38 m and bought Schick with 40+ (where is the facepalm emoticon?) and that Chick can't even finish a chance.

Selling Salah, for quite a small price, is something that Monchi will have to look back on and regret. Never understood it when it happened and now it looks like an even worse deal.

For Schick, the transfer is a little more complicated than just saying he cost €42 million. I think he'll come good, he needs to take that shot with his right foot though. He changes his body position so much to suit his left foot and he ends up with a bad angle to get the shot off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roma sold Sallah before the market went totally mental. Had they sold him post Neymar-gate than the story would’ve been different.

Roma have still been as competitive as they were with Sallah and they’re also still in the Champions League which is something that wasn’t achieved with the Egyptian.

Things can be seen in various different ways depending on what you’re searching to voice.

What’s for sure is that Sallah was undersold but I would say that Roma could argue that his departure hasn’t hurt the competitive numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roma have been better this season, but most of that has been due to their defensive improvements.

Attacking wise, they are so far behind their counterparts in the top four. Dzeko has suffered the most from his departure.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Roma have been better this season, but most of that has been due to their defensive improvements.

Attacking wise, they are so far behind their counterparts in the top four. Dzeko has suffered the most from his departure.

I’ll take as an example their latest game which was against none other than Juventus... In that game they had countless chances to finish off Juve and at least get a draw. Juve were unusually agressive in that game which was infact a great tactical approach by Allegri because it stunted any surprise start by Roma as they had to first think about being a close knit bunch in midfield and at the back. They (Roma) accomplished this and only a pinball effect moment put Juve in front.

Dzeko had his chances especially one where he showed that he’s always been overrated for me. He works in spurts and this isn’t the first season where he’s been inconsistent. Roma created plenty up front but were wasteful and we must remember that they were playing away.

I don’t see to many issues by comparison of last season at AS Roma in my opinion. The direct approach of having Sallah type players opens you up for counters whereas without a Sallah they’re more composed and balanced but not as direct giving the impression that not as much is being manufactured up front.

It’s just a different way of playing due to the type of players they have this season. I prefer the way they play now and it’s more productive than other teams with more resources. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I'm unsure if you watch the same games that I do. Over the last five games, Roma have lacked attacking options and they have suffered for it. They lack real width at times and have too often had to rely on Florenzi and Kolorov to provide the width. If you have to rely on your fullbacks to provide width in the attacking areas, you will be more exposed defensively against better teams.

El Shaarawy has had the most success in replacement, but being naturally left footed and playing on the right side restricts what he can do for the team. Ünder is the probable long-term solution, but ideally, I think he should have been loaned out to a lower Serie A team to gain experience and adjust to Italian football. Gerson, well, I just don't see it in him. Even in his best game by far for Roma, he scores twice against Fiorentina but then is to blame for two goals defensively. Schick and Defrel have even had to play wide right at times, which is a waste of their talents.

Monchi sold Salah without bringing in a replacement. For a top-level European team, as Roma aspire to be, that is simply unacceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Sometimes I'm unsure if you watch the same games that I do. Over the last five games, Roma have lacked attacking options and they have suffered for it. They lack real width at times and have too often had to rely on Florenzi and Kolorov to provide the width. If you have to rely on your fullbacks to provide width in the attacking areas, you will be more exposed defensively against better teams.

El Shaarawy has had the most success in replacement, but being naturally left footed and playing on the right side restricts what he can do for the team. Ünder is the probable long-term solution, but ideally, I think he should have been loaned out to a lower Serie A team to gain experience and adjust to Italian football. Gerson, well, I just don't see it in him. Even in his best game by far for Roma, he scores twice against Fiorentina but then is to blame for two goals defensively. Schick and Defrel have even had to play wide right at times, which is a waste of their talents.

Monchi sold Salah without bringing in a replacement. For a top-level European team, as Roma aspire to be, that is simply unacceptable.

Plenty of teams use their full-backs as their wide attacking options and I can name countless teams that do this as you probably can too.

They have a new technical setup in the backroom staff and they would say that the squad is under construction. If this is indeed the case and this is a detail that’s afforded to many that are being accused of failing i.e AC Milan... Then their season is so far a success. Progression in the Champions Leagie will have also brought in more money and status coupled with a good Serie ‘A’ season if it goes well to the end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SirBalon said:

Plenty of teams use their full-backs as their wide attacking options and I can name countless teams that do this as you probably can too.

They have a new technical setup in the backroom staff and they would say that the squad is under construction. If this is indeed the case and this is a detail that’s afforded to many that are being accused of failing i.e AC Milan... Then their season is so far a success. Progression in the Champions Leagie will have also brought in more money and status coupled with a good Serie ‘A’ season if it goes well to the end. 

Many clubs do it, but Roma have to as they have no other option to it. Perrotti and El Shaarawy cut in at the first possible opportunity and this style hurts the strengths of their now main attacking threat. Recent performances against Chievo, Genoa, Qarabag, Cagliari are showing their ineffectiveness without a player who can be more direct. This idea that increased game time for Gerson improves Roma as a team is a complete nonsense, the great work of Di Francesco is doing wonders to cover it up.

They are having a decent season and it would have been even better if they hadn't acted like a small-time club and sold Salah at the first possible opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2017 at 9:12 PM, Spike said:

I bet that had Schick's heart racing.

okay we can forgive him now

look at his sister:

2wgf8lz.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dalmore said:

okay we can forgive him now

look at his sister:

2wgf8lz.png

 

That literally looks liek Schick in a wig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement