talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rugby League

football forum

7 hours ago, Spike said:

The culture of the NRL is faggotry beyond belief. It's a congregation of dickheads, but the AFL is a congregation of pooft dickheads (read that Cousins fuckwit just got jailed). I haven't kept too up to date with the rules but are the cunts still changing and banning shit once every few months?

Nate 'pot plant shitter' Miles

Todd 'drugs, urine and car crashes' Cairney

Mitchell 'fuck-a-dog' Pearce

Fucks sake, all those cunts played for Sydney.

I was drinking in a bar the other night and Mitchell Pearce walked past me, had no idea who he was until my mate mentioned the dog humping

58 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

That's honestly fascinating (for me, at least).

Any idea why? Not that I expect it to be an easy answer - it is arguably a similar thing in the UK, but we can at least draw a pretty map around the League heartland. As far as the actual sports go, there is absolutely nothing to make either a 'rich' or 'poor' sport. 

There is a lot of condescension as well. 'League is a gentleman's sport played by thugs, and Union is a thug's sport played by gentlemen'. 

4 hours ago, Danny said:

I was drinking in a bar the other night and Mitchell Pearce walked past me, had no idea who he was until my mate mentioned the dog humping

I called Wendel Sailor the N word in highschool during a game of touch footy after he did a presentation. He was cheating.

In year 6 primary I got Brett Stewart to sign the bottom of my shoe, he was in for a signing day and when he asked why my shoe specifically I said it was to stomp his name into the ground. Fair play to him, he signed it.

I met Gasnier and Blacklock in school as well. Nice guys the pair of them

Edited by Tanksie
  • Upvote 1

What is it that makes Australians absolutely mental? Is it the coverage that the game gets because of the popularity so these blokes are under the microscope more than blokes over here?

Anyway, two wins from two and the garden is looking slightly rosier for Kieron "Rugby League is a game of chicken" Cunningham and Saints. I'm not convinced this is all Matty Smith's doing either but having a proper half in the side instead of Theo Fages, who's form is erratic at the best of times, and a kid in Danny Richardson, is always going to improve the side. 

Been over to Championship One (third division) London Skolars a few times this year, they're really doing well on (apart from the humping Toronto gave them) and off the pitch. 

Hi all - nice to see an RL section on here.  part of my life was spent looking after one of the UK's greatest clubs - my best time - Wembley in 79 and signing up Wally Lewis and his bro Scott to play for us - worst recently - funerals of David Topliss, Derek Turner, Tony Dean and Roger Millward as well as dear Harry from Leeds - he was the exception as all the others were younger than me.  The game has changed so much but it still has the edge over the 15 man version.  Was in Huddersfield yesterday and looked in the old George for a half and a think!  At least for me and you - life goes on.

Look forward to reading your posts!

On 28/03/2017 at 1:11 PM, Storts said:

xD:219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake: Superb.

Someone's in a bad mood today. Two absolute chomps. Bad night's sleep?

I love how "chomp" is the go to retort from your average run of the mill internet troll when they've been proven wrong.  Anyway my hooray henry friend, this is a Rugby League thread, its far too exciting for you.  Go to your kick and clap thread and proceed to be bored stupid.

Anyway, after getting our season back under way with two victories (including a delicious drubbing of Warrington), Saints inevitably  threw their wheels off again with a typically pitiful performance against Salford.  Good job we've got Huddersfield next, as they're even worse than we are!

Cunningham's gone :banana:

Legend as a player and will remain as one but he'll be remembered for all the wrong reasons as coach of the club. We need a clean break now, this jobs for the boys culture that exists at the club needs to be broken up, Sean Long and Jamal Lolesli needed to go, as did Mike Rush, a bloke originally employed to work within the Academy set-up, who's somehow CEO of the club. 

Manly narrowly beaten by Melbourne 26-30, first time I've watched a game on a hill xD

Storm smashed the first half but didn't score a Try in ththe second, looked like Manly could pull off a great comeback but ran out of energy by the 70th minute and that was that. Good defending in ththe second half, shocking in the first

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2017 at 0:10 AM, Tanksie said:

I called Wendel Sailor the N word in highschool during a game of touch footy after he did a presentation. He was cheating.

In year 6 primary I got Brett Stewart to sign the bottom of my shoe, he was in for a signing day and when he asked why my shoe specifically I said it was to stomp his name into the ground. Fair play to him, he signed it.

I met Gasnier and Blacklock in school as well. Nice guys the pair of them

lmao MY best mate was on a team with all black guys once and his nickname was 'Wendel Sailor'. The irony being that Wendel Sailor was the only black fella on a white team at the time. Classic stuff. 

Gotta question for you mate, why are the NSW players (particularly the ones from Sydney) always such grubby cunts? Except Nathan Hindmarsh, only heard great stories about the cunt.

On 3/29/2017 at 6:36 AM, Danny said:

It is pretty mad over here, in Queensland and NSW it's given the same treatment football gets at home.

Whereas in England most of the country won't even know when the League season starts.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

lmao MY best mate was on a team with all black guys once and his nickname was 'Wendel Sailor'. The irony being that Wendel Sailor was the only black fella on a white team at the time. Classic stuff. 

Gotta question for you mate, why are the NSW players (particularly the ones from Sydney) always such grubby cunts? Except Nathan Hindmarsh, only heard great stories about the cunt.

Dat big league mentality. Queenslanders have more sportsmanship and grow up more humble as they advance through the leagues  where as Sydney players it's more about contracts, Sydney nightlife and winning.

• 2 weeks later...

What do people on here think about a Super League re-brand? May not go down well with some, it may sound a bit silly or simple but I reckon changing it from Super League to Premiership would help change perceptions of the sport in the Midlands and the South.

On 10/05/2017 at 11:32 AM, Danny said:

What do people on here think about a Super League re-brand? May not go down well with some, it may sound a bit silly or simple but I reckon changing it from Super League to Premiership would help change perceptions of the sport in the Midlands and the South.

Eh? Why would it? The Premiership is Rugby Union's elite level here so using the same name is just going to breed confusion. 

The South is one of the fastest growing areas for the game of Rugby League, its problem is so few clubs of a decent level and mismanagement in the past, especially at the London Broncos who've rebranded numerous times and played home games at something like twenty different venues since their inception in 1980. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Eh? Why would it? The Premiership is Rugby Union's elite level here so using the same name is just going to breed confusion. 

The South is one of the fastest growing areas for the game of Rugby League, its problem is so few clubs of a decent level and mismanagement in the past, especially at the London Broncos who've rebranded numerous times and played home games at something like twenty different venues since their inception in 1980. 

I just reckon if it was marketed as say "Rugby League Premiership" people would be able to differentiate quite easily, I mean Rugby Union doesn't have a hold on the term "Premiership" considering its been used for football and even NRL.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

I just reckon if it was marketed as say "Rugby League Premiership" people would be able to differentiate quite easily, I mean Rugby Union doesn't have a hold on the term "Premiership" considering its been used for football and even NRL.

There's no other competition called the Super League though, so there is no reason to need to differentiate. Super League's and The RFL's biggest problem is marketing and I don't mean in terms of the names used to describe competitions. 

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

There's no other competition called the Super League though, so there is no reason to need to differentiate. Super League's and The RFL's biggest problem is marketing and I don't mean in terms of the names used to describe competitions. 

No but Super League to me just screams "t'up nooorth" and not in a good way. Rugby League maybe growing down south but you'd be kidding yourself if you thought most people didn't see it as a northern sport and I think Super League is associated with that, I don't think it'll ever really grow down south or try to match nationally Unions popularity whilst it's still called Super League. To me the term Premiership is nationwide and there's a reason other codes/countries have used the term Premiership due to the marketing success is brings.

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

No but Super League to me just screams "t'up nooorth" and not in a good way. Rugby League maybe growing down south but you'd be kidding yourself if you thought most people didn't see it as a northern sport and I think Super League is associated with that, I don't think it'll ever really grow down south or try to match nationally Unions popularity whilst it's still called Super League. To me the term Premiership is nationwide and there's a reason other codes/countries have used the term Premiership due to the marketing success is brings.

Of course Super League will be associated with Rugby League and the North (probably because thirteen of fourteen sides in Super League are northern) but for years the RFL supported London Broncos, who were hideously mismanagemed once Richard Branson left them. 

To say it's down to a name that the game won't grow is totally wrong. There are 'expansion' sides in Newcastle, London, Hemel, Oxford, Coventry and Cheltenham (with more likely to join in years to come) and vast amounts of amateur stuff across the country.

I don't think you can say it's purely down to a name that other sports have had success. Other sports have had success because they market their game and sell their game better than Rugby League, the name has little to do with it. 

Rugby League's biggest problem is that it's managed very insular. The powers that be are old fashioned, set in their ways and small minded. What a Rugby League needs is a lot of younger people at the top end of the game that can sell the game much better than the current bunch of people in charge. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Of course Super League will be associated with Rugby League and the North (probably because thirteen of fourteen sides in Super League are northern) but for years the RFL supported London Broncos, who were hideously mismanagemed once Richard Branson left them. 

To say it's down to a name that the game won't grow is totally wrong. There are 'expansion' sides in Newcastle, London, Hemel, Oxford, Coventry and Cheltenham (with more likely to join in years to come) and vast amounts of amateur stuff across the country.

I don't think you can say it's purely down to a name that other sports have had success. Other sports have had success because they market their game and sell their game better than Rugby League, the name has little to do with it. 

Rugby League's biggest problem is that it's managed very insular. The powers that be are old fashioned, set in their ways and small minded. What a Rugby League needs is a lot of younger people at the top end of the game that can sell the game much better than the current bunch of people in charge. 

I did have a longer response written but my internet crashed as I posted it. But to sum up it was I don't disagree too much and you'll know more about the ins and outs of Super League and the RFL than me, but I do think the Super League branding holds the sport back and a Premiership title would do more to open it up on mainstream level for viewership.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Rugby League
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned