talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rugby League

football forum

10 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

There's a website called rugbyleaguevideos that has full match highlights from thousands of games going back years, if that is of interest to you. 

Cheers! I'll check it out.

• The topic was unpinned
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Does anyone play there?

My understanding was that it was/is the Rabbitohs training pitch?

Na it's generally just open to the public, think Souths have one pre-season there a year "Return to Redfern", pretty sure they train there too, top right hand side still has their crest, but the rest of the year they play at the ANZ which is a soul destroying stadium both in location and attendance to capacity ratio.

Wests do as well for some odd reason, it's basically in Parramatta. I guess the suburban grounds don't bring in the dollar but for me the best place to play NRL games out of the suburban grounds is at the Allianz...only problem being there's no public transport other than a bus and what will be the light rail in a few years and the Allianz already has three tenants in Roosters, Sydney FC and the Warritahs. Ironically the best supported of the three are Sydney FC.

Theres lightyears difference between AFL and NRL at the moment, Sydneys over crowded but personally I just don't think the funding is in it for them to stay at their home grounds so the NRL want government funding to turn the ANZ into a primary NRL stadium and the government want to split resources between the ANZ and the Allianz. However less entertaining AFL maybe, the MCG and Etihad are positioned perfectly and they get the crowds.

Edited by Danny

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Na it's generally just open to the public, think Souths have one pre-season there a year "Return to Redfern", pretty sure they train there too, top right hand side still has their crest, but the rest of the year they play at the ANZ which is a soul destroying stadium both in location and attendance to capacity ratio.

Wests do as well for some odd reason, it's basically in Parramatta. I guess the suburban grounds don't bring in the dollar but for me the best place to play NRL games out of the suburban grounds is at the Allianz...only problem being there's no public transport other than a bus and what will be the light rail in a few years and the Allianz already has three tenants in Roosters, Sydney FC and the Warritahs. Ironically the best supported of the three are Sydney FC.

Theres lightyears difference between AFL and NRL at the moment, Sydneys over crowded but personally I just don't think the funding is in it for them to stay at their home grounds so the NRL want government funding to turn the ANZ into a primary NRL stadium and the government want to split resources between the ANZ and the Allianz. However less entertaining AFL maybe, the MCG and Etihad are positioned perfectly and they get the crowds.

Yeah, I was reading somewhere a while back that playing at their traditional homes, teams have to pay for all the necessary things like stewarding, policing, catering etc while at the ANZ, the stadium provides all of that stuff without a cost so it's basically all money related. 

It's sad because it's a shun to traditionalism but also fans look lost in the ANZ and the atmosphere suffers as a result. I loved watching Wests at the Leichardt Oval a few years back because it was quite an old fashioned, intimate venue. 

49 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Yeah, I was reading somewhere a while back that playing at their traditional homes, teams have to pay for all the necessary things like stewarding, policing, catering etc while at the ANZ, the stadium provides all of that stuff without a cost so it's basically all money related. 

It's sad because it's a shun to traditionalism but also fans look lost in the ANZ and the atmosphere suffers as a result. I loved watching Wests at the Leichardt Oval a few years back because it was quite an old fashioned, intimate venue. 

My first game was Souths vs Newcastle at the ANZ with about 10k-15k in there. It was the worst sporting experience in my life. Alternatively I watched Souths vs Roosters there in the final game of the regular season and it was a sell out nearly. Great for finals and games of that importance, not so much the rest of the season.

Ive not been to Leichardt yet so will probably go on September, they're playing there next Sunday but I'll be pissed up in Bondi after a fun run.

Manly is nice and probably tough to beat. I wanna go to Belmore, spend a day in Cronulla and go to Kogarah too. I wanna go see the Cowboys but I'm living in Sydney which make things difficult. They're playing Brisbane at home on the 31st so might sneak a long weekend in and fly up there, didn't go to Townesville before so would be a good excuse.

Whatd you make of the NRL compared to Super League? Ignoring the difference in quality on the pitch.

11 minutes ago, Danny said:

My first game was Souths vs Newcastle at the ANZ with about 10k-15k in there. It was the worst sporting experience in my life. Alternatively I watched Souths vs Roosters there in the final game of the regular season and it was a sell out nearly. Great for finals and games of that importance, not so much the rest of the season.

Ive not been to Leichardt yet so will probably go on September, they're playing there next Sunday but I'll be pissed up in Bondi after a fun run.

Manly is nice and probably tough to beat. I wanna go to Belmore, spend a day in Cronulla and go to Kogarah too. I wanna go see the Cowboys but I'm living in Sydney which make things difficult. They're playing Brisbane at home on the 31st so might sneak a long weekend in and fly up there, didn't go to Townesville before so would be a good excuse.

Whatd you make of the NRL compared to Super League? Ignoring the difference in quality on the pitch.

I love the NRL. I don't see enough of it anymore but we've got the subscription to Premier Sports, who show all the games. 

The coverage is lightyears ahead of what we have. They have legends of the game doing the punditry, we have a bloke who, as a winger, once went a whole season without scoring a try, and two blokes trying to be funny (and failing).  

The big thing I notice is the intensity of matches. More often than not, games are pretty even and the levels sides play at over in Australia on a near weekly basis is phenomenal, especially when you consider some are playing State of Origin and mid-season a Internationals too. 

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I love the NRL. I don't see enough of it anymore but we've got the subscription to Premier Sports, who show all the games. 

The coverage is lightyears ahead of what we have. They have legends of the game doing the punditry, we have a bloke who, as a winger, once went a whole season without scoring a try, and two blokes trying to be funny (and failing).  

The big thing I notice is the intensity of matches. More often than not, games are pretty even and the levels sides play at over in Australia on a near weekly basis is phenomenal, especially when you consider some are playing State of Origin and mid-season a Internationals too. 

The coverage for it over here is great, it's basically like football at home. I always struggled to get into League at home, the broadcasting always seemed a bit amateur (and not just compared to NRL and Football, but to Union too) and it just seemed so northern, and not in a northern monkey way, but just no way for a southerner to get into it. Over here it's completely different even if there is a Sydney vs Melbourne/NRL vs AFL rivalry. 

I am finally a full convert to Rugby League.

Every night I've found myself watching a different game on tele and wanting to stick around in the hostel kitchen, a restaurant or bar longer than needed so I can catch the end or as much of a game as I can. I could never do that for Rugby Union, if it's not London Irish or England then I don't have much interest and even then it can get boring.

I'm sure my conclusion won't come as a surprise to anyone in here, but it's a massive shame that there's no real professional outfit in London and the south beyond the Broncos because League has everything in a game of Rugby that the general public want but don't normally get from a game of Union. I never got into Super League at home but the NRL has opened my eyes completely.

On 11/08/2017 at 0:45 PM, Danny said:

I am finally a full convert to Rugby League.

Every night I've found myself watching a different game on tele and wanting to stick around in the hostel kitchen, a restaurant or bar longer than needed so I can catch the end or as much of a game as I can. I could never do that for Rugby Union, if it's not London Irish or England then I don't have much interest and even then it can get boring.

I'm sure my conclusion won't come as a surprise to anyone in here, but it's a massive shame that there's no real professional outfit in London and the south beyond the Broncos because League has everything in a game of Rugby that the general public want but don't normally get from a game of Union. I never got into Super League at home but the NRL has opened my eyes completely.

Both London's are doing fantastically well. Broncos have a more than decent shout at the 'Million Pound Game' after pushing Catalans very, very close last weekend and Skolars of League One, the third tier, are likely to be playing off for a piece of silverware in a month or so's time. 

On 12/08/2017 at 7:04 AM, Happy Blue said:

The NRL is the only rugby worth watching apart from Salford   ..i watch every Bulldogs, Rabbitohs and sometimes Raiders games just to see how the English players are getting on

Mainly this. I watch Saints' games and occasionally a big game but I mainly watch the NRL. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wembley this Saturday for Wigan vs Hull FC. It cannot be as bad as the rain spoiled 2013 Final between the two sides in which Hull were nilled by Wigan, who weren't impressive either. Hope for a dry pitch and some good rugby if officials will allow. 

Might go to the annual 'Friday Night Lights' at London Skolars too. They have a chance of topping the middle 8's table made up of the best of the rest from the third tier. A top two position guarantees them a place in the Final for the Shield. Skolars' two rivals for one of those two places are Hunslet (it's in Leeds) and North Wales Crusaders. 

So Gold Coast Titans sacked their coach today after a run of poor results and an apparent stand off with Jarryd Hayne. I saw them two weeks ago away to St. George and they got smashed, they were fortunate not to lose by more than they did.

Might be off to Cronulla on Saturday so that could be decent, new ground and a beach day.

36 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Wembley this Saturday for Wigan vs Hull FC. It cannot be as bad as the rain spoiled 2013 Final between the two sides in which Hull were nilled by Wigan, who weren't impressive either. Hope for a dry pitch and some good rugby if officials will allow. 

Might go to the annual 'Friday Night Lights' at London Skolars too. They have a chance of topping the middle 8's table made up of the best of the rest from the third tier. A top two position guarantees them a place in the Final for the Shield. Skolars' two rivals for one of those two places are Hunslet (it's in Leeds) and North Wales Crusaders. 

What's it like at Wembley? Get many travel down or do you see more of a southern contingent out?

1 minute ago, Danny said:

So Gold Coast Titans sacked their coach today after a run of poor results and an apparent stand off with Jarryd Hayne. I saw them two weeks ago away to St. George and they got smashed, they were fortunate not to lose by more than they did.

Might be off to Cronulla on Saturday so that could be decent, new ground and a beach day.

What's it like at Wembley? Get many travel down or do you see more of a southern contingent out?

It's hard to describe to people really. It's a festival of Rugby League to be honest. Though the two sides who are playing are heavily represented, you see all clubs' shirts out in force. There's definitely a large amount of Southern fans around on the day but the vast majority are northern. 

Whats happening with the Titans anyway? I thought there was strong rumours they were relocating to North Sydney and reviving the old North Sydney Bears' name? 

12 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

It's hard to describe to people really. It's a festival of Rugby League to be honest. Though the two sides who are playing are heavily represented, you see all clubs' shirts out in force. There's definitely a large amount of Southern fans around on the day but the vast majority are northern. 

Whats happening with the Titans anyway? I thought there was strong rumours they were relocating to North Sydney and reviving the old North Sydney Bears' name? 

The rumours were that they'd become the Gold Coast Bears as opposed to the Titans...a pointless exercise really as they're not going to get North Sydney fans turning up for them but that seems to have been squashed pretty quickly.

I don't think there's any relocation on the cards and everyone's mention away from the Titans was Wests but that's just media rumour. I think the next "big" changes to the NRL will be the addition of the West Coast Pirates and the Brisbane Bombers but from what I've read the NRL television contract runs until 2022 I believe so there's no changes expected until then. Other shouts for expansion are two other Queensland sides, Central Queensland and Ipswich. I believe Ipswich is the western corridor of Brisbane and could command a decent fanbase. Bombers I believe are South Brisbane and Broncos more north. Outside of Brisbane you have an area  that expands from Bundaberg to Cairns which is ginormous, Central Queensland would be located at Rockhampton and I imagine alternate between there, Mackay and Bundaberg.

The attendances in the NRL are abysmal compared to AFL but the centralised location of the Etihad and MCG make it so easy to stage highly attended games. I reckon if the NRL were to expand they'd go for a second Brisbane team and a Perth team only, but there's a market to crack in Queensland and the region could probably hold 3-5 franchises.

Most of the rumours are just the press over here and they can be shocking, you read it and it sounds like a geezer's had one too many and is just chatting shit about how he thinks the NRL should be run, a lot of opinion pieces that seem to have every Australian stereotype going.

Going back to the Bears, I don't think they've got any chance of a revival due to how shit attendances are in Sydney already and I can't see the sense in moving a historic side away from it's core support. 

30 minutes ago, Danny said:

The rumours were that they'd become the Gold Coast Bears as opposed to the Titans...a pointless exercise really as they're not going to get North Sydney fans turning up for them but that seems to have been squashed pretty quickly.

I don't think there's any relocation on the cards and everyone's mention away from the Titans was Wests but that's just media rumour. I think the next "big" changes to the NRL will be the addition of the West Coast Pirates and the Brisbane Bombers but from what I've read the NRL television contract runs until 2022 I believe so there's no changes expected until then. Other shouts for expansion are two other Queensland sides, Central Queensland and Ipswich. I believe Ipswich is the western corridor of Brisbane and could command a decent fanbase. Bombers I believe are South Brisbane and Broncos more north. Outside of Brisbane you have an area  that expands from Bundaberg to Cairns which is ginormous, Central Queensland would be located at Rockhampton and I imagine alternate between there, Mackay and Bundaberg.

The attendances in the NRL are abysmal compared to AFL but the centralised location of the Etihad and MCG make it so easy to stage highly attended games. I reckon if the NRL were to expand they'd go for a second Brisbane team and a Perth team only, but there's a market to crack in Queensland and the region could probably hold 3-5 franchises.

Most of the rumours are just the press over here and they can be shocking, you read it and it sounds like a geezer's had one too many and is just chatting shit about how he thinks the NRL should be run, a lot of opinion pieces that seem to have every Australian stereotype going.

Going back to the Bears, I don't think they've got any chance of a revival due to how shit attendances are in Sydney already and I can't see the sense in moving a historic side away from it's core support. 

Yeah, the attendances are pretty poor for what they really should be. 

Gold Coast have only been going ten or so years but they've had limited success on the park, but I never really heard any information about the Bears 'needing' a club in the NRL, I doubt there would be a massive attendance increase. 

I don't know if increasing will do harm to the game or make it better, I don't know when it gets too many over there. 

I'd like to see the Papua New Guinea Hunters side in the NRL, they've just won the minor premiership in the Queensland Cup and PNG is one of very few countries where Rugby League is the National game. I doubt there's any talk of them joining the big boys mind. 

9 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Yeah, the attendances are pretty poor for what they really should be. 

Gold Coast have only been going ten or so years but they've had limited success on the park, but I never really heard any information about the Bears 'needing' a club in the NRL, I doubt there would be a massive attendance increase. 

I don't know if increasing will do harm to the game or make it better, I don't know when it gets too many over there. 

I'd like to see the Papua New Guinea Hunters side in the NRL, they've just won the minor premiership in the Queensland Cup and PNG is one of very few countries where Rugby League is the National game. I doubt there's any talk of them joining the big boys mind. 

Now you mention PNG I've heard once or twice before that they could be a good shout.

What the NRL needs is high attendances for television purposes, if you've got a couple of teams from Qld then they're going to sell out imo. PNG potentially the same too.

38 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2017/08/22/reduce-number-sydney-nrl-clubs-make-competition-truly-national/amp/

@Danny seeing as we were discussing the future of the NRL, I've come across this piece. It would never happen I feel but an interesting piece nonetheless. 

I don't think the issue is the number is Sydney clubs, I just thinks it's the fact that they're trying to centralise the stadiums without an easily accessible and up to task centralised stadium.

I read that they might want Penrith to play at an upgraded Parramatta Stadium, why?? Just upgrade Penriths stadium. I can see why you'd want the Eels and say Wests playing there, get the Eels away from the ANZ and make sure Wests don't end up there either.

For me the best thing they could do is improve the suburban grounds, or at least a improve Moore Park and the transport links to it along with them and induct some a Brisbane and a Qld team.

• The title was changed to Rugby League